SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Hi, having finally managed to create space in my loft, I'm trying to design SSD track to make use of the 21 foot by 5 foot space.

I'd like to have one straight that makes use of the full length, and also a pit lane with some space behind for garages etc. This does seem to limit my design....

I mainly race on my own, against several pace cars, so would like to keep the circuit fairly smooth for the pace cars, and want the long straight as have a few slot-its and other cars which I'd like to stretch their legs on.

I will have some space for a more technical circuit probably an 8 by 5 foot, so I'm not too concerned at this stage if there's too many straights in this one, tho I wonder if I'd get bored of this circuit fairly quickly?

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
If you're anything like me, yes, you will get bored of that. The layout I had before my last was very much straight-turn-straight-turn-repeat. I was bored to tears. I could make the car go fast, but there was no challenge at all, no pleasure in the driving.
The coffin is a fantastic layout for a long narrow space, and one well worth emulating.
Definitely don't get rid of your longest straight. But, you'll have that every lap. The rest of the lap should require some actual driving. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I really like a long fast straight to open a car up on however the real fun is controlling the car on the tighter sections so I enjoy having both in the one circuit.

I agree with other comments and your own concern of getting bored really quickly with this setup.

The best thing about plastic track is you can lay this circuit out and test it and make changes as you go to get the driving experience you enjoy.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
You could make it work by introducing combinations of R1,2,3,4's

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
You could make it work by introducing combinations of R1,2,3,4's
One of the best tracks I ever ran on was Drummers 13m circuit with 7 corners. Each corner was unique and you had to learn and remember all 7 corners. This made it a continual challenge to shave lap times.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I agree, the long straight will be great osee how fast you can go and finish it off with a fast corner to give as much full power as possible, but t needs more technical sections. Some fast left, right, left type sections.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I recently rejiggered my tables and layout, and found myself with a 4' by 19' space to use. Below is my current layout, which combines my appetite for one huge straight with my other appetite for twisty bits. (The design somehow manages to use all but 4 pieces of my current track stock, which is a constraint unlikely to match anyone else.)

Just an alternative approach to consider. . . I'm still "debugging it" myself - which involves hours (and hours) of sacrifice running laps.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Couple of suggestions:
Elevate the back straight for visual interest.
Make the R/H curve at the end of the back straight from R4 instead of the R2 S's

Are you not going to include a pit lane?

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm definitely pondering the elevated back straight and the wider radius curves, for sure. We've not bothered with a pit lane yet, as I haven't taken the SSDC plunge so far (not sophisticated enough yet).

(I don't want to hijack the thread too much, just thought I'd throw in an idea of a more twisty track in a similar space).

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
I loved the Coffin design so much, I copied it into TrackPower (from a diagram someone posted on the Coffin thread). I then tweaked it a bit to add lane changers and a pit lane, and then some more to make it fit in 21' (it was already only 4' wide), and then a little more to add a couple racing line lane changers in (should you want to make a couple
). Here's the result:

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Greg, how do you get the "racing line" esses in TrackPower?

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
You don't.
I put them in with the lane change sensor track and two R2 turns, then I photoshopped in the lines to represent the lane change.
I think GregK might have done racing line pieces in UltimateRacer3, but I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All,

Many thanks for all the comments so far, very helpful!

And MrF that coffin trackplan is very helpful, I think one for the future, once I become more familiar with adjusting pace car settings.

At the moment, I'm not ready for using R1 and elevations with SSD, as I spent a lot of time on my previous circuit trying to get pacers working reliably, I think more to do with my ability and experience, than the technology!

This obviously limits my options in the space, below is the current design I'm favouring, I'm thinking it's better to have the long straight at the front, where I'm likely to come off at either end if I've got too much power on.
I've still got space for the pit garages, tho' not sure if I put the vip floors in, whether they'll block seeing the rest of the track.

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
I'm sure you've seen my many diatribes about pace cars. If not, I can expand on that for you. ;-)

I like that design better, though it still has quite a lot of long straights in it.
You do need to move some of those XLCs, though, as half of them are in places likely to cause sensor misses. Same for the pit lane entrance.
I redrew yours and made the changes I would recommend. If you were to go without pit buildings, I would make some other changes to make the infield more interesting.
I did shift over the wiggle in the back straight quite a bit to break up that long straight and put the XLCs in better places at the same time.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Reuben,

How about this design ....... this should give you plenty of room for your buildings.

View attachment 9263

If the Parabola is too much then your original curve can still be placed there.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Tofuboy

How's it going.

I have followed your thread, and as a new addict of UR3, started to draw something in the space of your rectangle.

I know what you said about R1's, so I bit my lip HARD, and said to myself NO R1's (personaly I love 'em, and find it hard to imagine having a varying track without them).

Also I know you said you didn't want a bridge, but it has to be said, with just 1 bridge, your options on track layout, less parralel lines & possibly a better racing experience in that space, open up considerably IMHO.

Making a single bridge work, is not as difficult as it might seem, and taking the plunge, and trying it on what looks like the solid benchwork your considering, could be well worth the effort, and pay BIG dividends on looks and raceability.

Throwing in a few R1's & R4's (and 22.5 degree sections generaly, makes a big difference, and is the way to break the 45/90 degree, parallel problem).

Any more thoughts on your layout in the last few days ?

Cheers

Si.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, I'm trying to build the existing layout, just sorting out my pieces of track and seeing what extra bits I need.

Finally opened a one of those Ferrari scalextric sets that I bought from Argos a couple of years ago, when they were going v. cheap!

I think once I've got this up and running, in the spare space I have I will setup a smaller track with an elevated section and some R1s to see if I can get those working reliably.

In the meantime if you do have ideas for a larger circuit including R1s and elevation feel free to share

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Tofuboy

Would love to have a bash at drawing something for your space.

Is the overall space the same size still, as said earlier ?

Could you tell us what track parts you have at the moment (so as to use what you already have to the max).
Particularly the lane changers, as expensive :-
How many straight ones do you have ?
And how many curved ones ?
& what direction are they ?

Also I think you want a single track pit lane:-
How many whole straights between the pit-lane changers do you want ?
Keeping this to a minimum, with a single track pit-lane will maximise the design possibilitys in the space I think.

Your thoughts on this ?

Cheers

Si.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts