SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Sorry for the newbie post but here goes.

I currently have the Scalextric Drift & Mountain Mayhem sets (4 analogue cars total)
Me and my two kids (8 & 10 yrs) will usually set a track up using theses 2 sets about 4/5 times a year and will remain set up for a week or 2.

I do like the Scalextrix size as we don't have a huge space, but sometimes if we expand the track designs it can interfear with access ways.

Now I would like to upgrade my/our kids track to digital.
I like the idea of controling power to each car to even the odds as well as ghost cars to race against.

I'm looking at the SSD Platinum set with 6 cars and it looks like a similar track layout to the Mountain Mayhem set.
Before I look at investing further in the Scalextric, I do have a soft spot for Carrera as I like the wider stainless steel track allowing larger cars to race.
Although right now i have no idea of what larger cars I would get, could end up not getting any.

Also two pieces of my track is showing some rust already, quite supprised as we dont have it out that much, is it easy to clean?
Is the carrera track good for quick setups & rug racing?

Of course switching to Carrera means selling both sets and starting from scratch, also a higher financial investment.

What do you think, I'm crazy and just upgrade with the SSD Platinum set and chip my two existing V8 touring cars to digital.
Or would carrera suit our occasional racing several time a year?

Your replies would be greatly appreciated.

Del

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
Tough one.
I think your best advice will come from people who have actually owned/used both systems, not just one or the other, or only raced on the "other" one.
I have Scalextric digital, and I love it. At the same time, I see a lot of appeal in Carrera Digital. Both systems have pros and cons, so the right choice for you can only be decided by you.
You know how Scalextric analog cars race. They'll more or less race the same in digital, only with cars sharing lanes. That means more crashing, of course, until higher skill is achieved. Same with any digital system.
The rusty track can be cleaned and treated (INOX MX3 is a good product for both), but a lot of people just toss bad track. Carrera track, being stainless, doesn't have that problem as bad. It's also bigger and more expensive. 1/24 is cool, though. You'll need borders everywhere for the larger cars, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply MrFillipant

Yes its a tough choice, I'll most likely go down to the hobby store. I think they have the Scalextric & Carrera set up.
I know I can't use my existing analogue power bases for the digital track, but can I use the lane x-overs? as digital has its own.

Thanks for the tip on using INOX MX3, I'm guessing the rust came about when the track was down for a few weeks and the kids probably spilt some drink on it.

Cheers

Del

·
Greg Gaub
15,415 Posts
That would surely speed up the rust, especially carbonated/acid drink.

You can keep ALL the track pieces. They'll work fine in digital. The only reason many digital users stop using them is that the introduce even more places to crash. On an analog track, those are the ONLY places cars can hit each other. For digital, they can hit on lane changers, and rear end each other while in the same lane. As such, unnecessary places to crash are quickly removed. ;-)

You can even use the analog power track IF and only if, you remove the track from the power parts by unscrewing them and cutting or desoldering the wires. I would only do this, though, if you have a layout where you need just one more half straight and don't want to buy another pack. ;-)

Hopefully the local hobby store's tracks are in good working order with appropriate cars also in good working order. My LHS took down the track because they stuff got completely torn up by customers' kids.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Hi Del,

I'm guessing from your Mountain Mayhem track & Aussie V8's your located somewhere down here in the Southern Hemishere.

I have been using SSD for the last 5 years and really enjoy our setup although it took a bit of work and a lot of help from this forum to get the modifications needed to get the full benefit of SSD.

The new SSD Platinum set is a much better option for starting SSD now with the new powerbase etc and I reckon the choice comes down to the track system & price. Carrera is a better track system with stainless steel rails and can run 1:24 cars however it needs a more room, is more expensive and lacks corner radius options.

I have only raced on Carrera Digital a few times however IMHO a good option would be Carrera track with SSD operating system (but thats not going to happen) so it comes down to price and space and your personal needs (also do you know any other digital slot car racers in your area and what they use).

Good luck and whatever system you choose there is one thing I know and that is you & the kids will enjoy it, but beware I started just like you a few years ago with the kids on the floor and now I've lost my garage (or have more use for my garage if I really think about it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 26 Nov 2011, 00:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That would surely speed up the rust, especially carbonated/acid drink.

You can keep ALL the track pieces. They'll work fine in digital. The only reason many digital users stop using them is that the introduce even more places to crash. On an analog track, those are the ONLY places cars can hit each other. For digital, they can hit on lane changers, and rear end each other while in the same lane. As such, unnecessary places to crash are quickly removed. ;-)

You can even use the analog power track IF and only if, you remove the track from the power parts by unscrewing them and cutting or desoldering the wires. I would only do this, though, if you have a layout where you need just one more half straight and don't want to buy another pack. ;-)

Hopefully the local hobby store's tracks are in good working order with appropriate cars also in good working order. My LHS took down the track because they stuff got completely torn up by customers' kids.

Thanks for your reply

Just got back from working away.
I'll have a go at trying to fix the rusted section first, then head off down to the hobby shop.

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Billy_Cart @ 26 Nov 2011, 15:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Del,

I'm guessing from your Mountain Mayhem track & Aussie V8's your located somewhere down here in the Southern Hemishere.

I have been using SSD for the last 5 years and really enjoy our setup although it took a bit of work and a lot of help from this forum to get the modifications needed to get the full benefit of SSD.

The new SSD Platinum set is a much better option for starting SSD now with the new powerbase etc and I reckon the choice comes down to the track system & price. Carrera is a better track system with stainless steel rails and can run 1:24 cars however it needs a more room, is more expensive and lacks corner radius options.

I have only raced on Carrera Digital a few times however IMHO a good option would be Carrera track with SSD operating system (but thats not going to happen) so it comes down to price and space and your personal needs (also do you know any other digital slot car racers in your area and what they use).

Good luck and whatever system you choose there is one thing I know and that is you & the kids will enjoy it, but beware I started just like you a few years ago with the kids on the floor and now I've lost my garage (or have more use for my garage if I really think about it)

Yes its the V8 supercar set I got here in Perth.
I guess whats influencing my decision is right now we don't race enough to warrant the extra expense of changing systems, but going digital may change all that.

QUOTE (raikkonen_webber fan @ 26 Nov 2011, 16:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>again i progressed like you are with a simple set (mine was the Bathurst battle), i considered scx digital or scalextric digital, but as i already had scalextric i chose that, so if your still 50 - 50 after you use both, go scalextric,

I tend to agree with you that already having two scalextric sets would make more sense in just staying with current system.
As mentioned before, I'll head off down to the hobby shop and try it out.

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
2 Posts
My situation is a fuzz different, but I am still over thinking the process of deciding. Until recently, my choice was SSD. I go over to the local hobby shop, where it is obvious that slot cars have a very low priority and it would seem that my only choice there is to order the platinum set for $800 USD. I didn't really want to start out at the high a price just yet, but it is the only SSD set available that has the 6 car controller (they don't show any less expensive sets available - don't know why). So, stupid me starts looking at ordering online and I really started becoming interested in Carrera Digital as all the sets will do 6 cars, there is free software for the PC that seems to look very nice, plus I do kind of like the choice in Carrera cars better than SSD.

So rather than dwell on this forever instead of actually buying something - if you were starting from scratch, which would you go for? Since cars can be chipped for either easily enough, tell me why you would pick one system over the other. I know Carrera does what I want out of the box, I like it. It seems SSD can do the same, but with software upgrades as described in these forums. Am I mistaken about this? Will it also do the same out of the box?

I have been reading for 2 days solid on these forums to come up with a solid answer, and none yet... My brain is tired

Robert

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Again beware bias as I run and drive scalextric only. However , as I understand it Carrara track is much more brittle and can break if trod on. My 6 year old Grandaughter occationally acidentally treads on it. It generally survives untouched and can be bent back almost as good as new if not. Its also easy for older kids to assemble. Garrera (and I amd sure to be corrected if wrong) needs extra bits to connect it whch can break/get lost. From my new book it looks like scaley has the most different corners again key if space is limited. To get the best out of SSD you could really do with the 6 car base and see if you can get it upgraded.

PS I designed a card pits that is made of A4 card and folds flat when not in use very cruse but kept here happy. Grandaughter cut most of it out herself. I did the glueing as it needs a solvent glue - Bostic clear in the UK. I can provide basic PDF if someone will tell me how to post it or send a PM with an email address.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
PM sent re: PDF of your folding card pit buildings.

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts