SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Great forum here - I've been admiring all your enthusiasm for this hobby. This is my first post as I just got SSD yesterday.

I have seen a previous posting about an SSD overload error, but that topic moved off the point (onto a more critical design discussion). If I may, I'd like to revisit the error problem and find out how many people here have experienced such a problem. I certainly have - on the LH out-to-in lane change only [my RH is OK]. I cannot get through 50 laps without the overload error, and as the post in the previous topic remarked, it resets the race etc, which is a huge design flaw. The overload problem occurs ONLY when making a lane change after the previous car has not made a change. That is, it only occurs when the flipper has to move into lane change position, but it seems to occur randomly then and certain ly not all the time. It occurs with all cars, and can occur irrespective of the number of cars racing (1,2,3). It's also not a braid problem.

Probably I have received a bum LC, as no QC is perfect, and I'm working on getting a replacement when new stock arrives in mid-January
. Nonetheless, it still might be useful for current and new "converts" to assess how common this problem is.

Anybody else had this overload error? If so, how often? Any suggestions for further diagnostic assessment of the problem?

Cheers

Scalxwag

BTW - when it works, SSD is a blast, and truly a different experience from analog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have this overload problem virtually every race, its a pain in the neck, the only time i do not get it is when i am racing just one car. There does not seem to be any pattern to it either as i have had it overload even when cars are not going through the lane changes.

I have checked all the braids and connections.

Wolfy

·
Slot City
331 Posts
Have you tried to locate the cause of the fault?

You can try removing all the lane change sections, then trying them out one at a time.

This could help narrow the problem down to a certain lane change section.

Might also be worth trying the same with the cars and controllers, in case one of these is faulty and causing the problem.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (scalxwag @ 23 Dec 2004, 05:40)Anybody else had this overload error? If so, how often? Any suggestions for further diagnostic assessment of the problem?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen this occur when someone reslots a car after a deslot and twists the car back and forth, trying to seat the guide. Or, if they move the car backward on the track (yes, a newbie); that may cause the braids to get mangled and short that track.

SSD does require a different mindset when reslotting cars.

{rb}

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am interested in getting the SSD but now you say this overload problem can you please explain what this means. Also I was wondering about very large tracks on know on analog there is another power pack you can buy and put it at the far end of your track so you don't have power loss spots. Can you use this same power pack on digital, and how long of a track until you come across this problem? Thanks In advance Eric

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Overload error is an interesting if unfortunate snag.
It's an excellent idea to try to focus on it in a single thread like this, because it might well be useful to Scalextric themselves as well as to digital owners.
So let's try to keep this topic focussed on this particular problem.

There's a strong hint from two people above that braid shorting alone could be ONE cause.
(This would not happen if, when Sport track was designed, a plastic channel had been set between the track rails as per Carrera and Ninco)

But it might not be the ONLY cause.
If we could investigate a little more detail of the other situations that have been associated with LCs, it would be helpful.

So, in those cases where it appeared that an LC was associated with the overload, can you identify WHERE the cars were on the track when the overload occurred? If it happened on the straight, then it is less likely that a braid short contributed. But if it happened on the curve, then maybe braid shorting is the only possible cause. We must try to identify whether there is more than one problem.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Overload is usually a simple short, somewhere on the track.
On SDD its like the braids gets really worn, pretty fast.
Try and unplug the power, borrow the wifes vacuumcleaner, and give the entire track a big overhaul.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Oooh dear. Not looking too rosy this digital malarky.

Kinda, bleeding edge stuff for you early-adopters out there.

QUOTE Overload error is an interesting if unfortunate snag.

A quite superb piece of understatement, dear friend.

K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again,

I can add a few more details to my original post. I'd like to preface this by stating that I do think I have a bum LC, so my apologies if I take up space here with these details when a simple replacement part might completely solve my problem.

I have completed hundreds more test laps. I also bored my 9 year old son and his friend with at least 10 attempts to complete a 20 lap grand prix race with 3 cars with NONE of these being successfully completed without overload and the race being aborted.

I have the SSD lane change challenge set, which has one LH and one RH out -to-in LC. I have not added any of my existing track to the layout so what I am reporting is directly "out of the box". The overload is occurring in exactly the same spot each time. It is immediately upon reaching the flipper in the entry to the LH out-to-in LC. It only occurs when attempting a LC when the car previously entering the LC from the same lane went straight through. The overload does not occur elsewhere, or when the previous car changed lanes. So this to me pointed to a flipper problem. I ran hundreds of test laps using only one car and first going straight through the suspect LC, then changing lanes on the working RH LC to get back into the original lane , and then on the next lap changing lanes on the suspect LC at different speeds, with different track configs, swapping the 1/2 straight sensor tracks between the LC's, removing the LC and cleaning I could find no consistent pattern for when the overload occurred compared to when it did not. Interestingly, on two separate occasions after a relatively frequent spate of overloads the LC stopped functioning altogether. I suspected the sensor track as the problem, but replacement with the other LC's sensor track did not make a difference. On both these occasions I removed the offending LC, cleaned and replaced it, with no change. I then removed it again, looked at it and muttered a few not very carefully chosen words of frustration and re-inserted it and magically it came back to life. It then remained functional for a longer while but then reverted back to the overloads.

Clearly the set is not functional now and as my hobby shop has no spare part stock I think I'll have to try and find a new LC elsewhere (stock is scarce here in Australia after only being shipped a couple of days ago). I'll report back here whether the new LC completely solves the problem. I hope it does. Any mechanical system is bound to have some rare problems with quality control, and I really hope this problem is rare enough to have the asterisk removed from the first line of Darainbow's excellent manufacturer comparison sheet.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
QUOTE (scalxwag @ 23 Dec 2004, 22:51)Clearly the set is not functional now and as my hobby shop has no spare part stock I think I'll have to try and find a new LC elsewhere (stock is scarce here in Australia after only being shipped a couple of days ago).

Cheers,

Andrew
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you dealer is a GOOD dealer, he just pull out the LC from another set for you!
You shouldn't be waiting for a single LC!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 24 Dec 2004, 00:30)If you dealer is a GOOD dealer, he just pull out the LC from another set for you!
You shouldn't be waiting for a single LC!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be an amazingly brilliant dealer! There aren't many dealers in any trade in the UK who do that, I have had many frustrations with parts of musical instruments and in other fields where the solution appeared to be that close, but the dealer would not do such a thing

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess I have such a dealer (MIB Global)! He replaced the LC for me from a set. Unfortunately the problem persisted and I even now got overloads on my "good" RH LC. The power base is now the suspect - so the entire set went back to the dealer for more diagnostics. I guess I'm SSD-free until 2005 and an analog xmas I shall have. At least I'm assured of some good reliable racing. I'll post again when relevant as a matter of followup - again hopefully to indicate a rare QC problem with the power rather than a general design problem. So far - only one other user has reported this problem here in this topic ...

Andrew

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's good to see the dealer make that goodwill gesture of changing LCs!
But, having done that, it's a shame he didn't change the Power Base from the same set, if the Power Base was held to be the next most likely suspect.

I look forward to more feedback on this specific subject and we'll try to make sure this topic remains 'clean', to track further developments.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (scalxwag @ 24 Dec 2004, 10:37)I guess I have such a dealer (MIB Global)! He replaced the LC for me from a set. Unfortunately the problem persisted and I even now got overloads on my "good" RH LC. The power base is now the suspect - so the entire set went back to the dealer for more diagnostics. I guess I'm SSD-free until 2005 and an analog xmas I shall have. At least I'm assured of some good reliable racing. I'll post again when relevant as a matter of followup - again hopefully to indicate a rare QC problem with the power rather than a general design problem. So far - only one other user has reported this problem here in this topic ...

Andrew
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, including you, 3 people have reported the problem in this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Andrew/scalxwag,

MIB Global gave me the run around when I tryied to order the digital set.
Went to Stanbridges in WA.
One of the lane changers was rough and often bounced the car backward. They repaced the part the next day.
I did get an overload message when I turned it on once (had it 2 days only). Got more power just incase.

ISHY

·
Slot City
331 Posts
Three people having a problem doesn't mean there is a general flaw or fault in the product. Its very unfortunate but occassionally a faulty product will make it out of the factory.

We've had a very low fault rate so far - just a couple of problems with the power base.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 24 Dec 2004, 11:11)Actually, including you, 3 people have reported the problem in this thread.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've only seen one reporting the problem with the LC/power base (Scalextric system). The overload issue I mentioned simply had to do with reslotting; a nuisance, but not a hardware problem.

[rb]

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (slotcity @ 24 Dec 2004, 17:53)Three people having a problem doesn't mean there is a general flaw or fault in the product. Its very unfortunate but occassionally a faulty product will make it out of the factory.

We've had a very low fault rate so far - just a couple of problems with the power base.

Jon,
Slot City.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem isnt that LCs are causing overloads, its the frequency of overloads and the fact that overloads wipe out race results. Scalextric is the only manufacturer whose system is using rails that are not isolated. This may contribute to the problem and make shorts easier. Certainly they can fix the problem with their scoring computer in a future release.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (slotcity @ 25 Dec 2004, 00:53)Three people having a problem doesn't mean there is a general flaw or fault in the product. Its very unfortunate but occassionally a faulty product will make it out of the factory.

Dude,

X-mas day we played and the system overloaded after a few hours. Later that night when I set it up again it ran ok then the it stopped with no error message and I watched as the screen died. I get nothing from the SSD at all. The digital is totally dead already and my bro who went analog is laughing!

ISHY

1 - 20 of 110 Posts