SlotForum banner

SSD pit-lane library

13K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  sealevel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

based on the many inspirations out of this forum and the "Show me you curves" threads some days ago, I would like to show you some of my pit-lane layout ideas I have built. These layouts are especially useful for those slotters which are playing on varying SSD track layouts, like me
One condition is and was to avoid any cut of track pieces and to have the possibility to build a pit-wall.

Maybe there are already some threads like this, but I don't have found any so far.
____

First, an information (maybe already well-known), which is very useful to design a pit-lane: the length in grid of a "s-shaped" (or "reverse s-shaped") double-curve of two single R3 curved track pieces is quite exact the same as four short straights or one short straight + one bridge track-piece.

So, with 8 short track pieces a simple pit-lane can be built without cutting or bending the track including to have space for a pit-wall. In addition and IMHO the short track pieces can be (should be) placed between the start grid pieces.

Of course the whole pit-lane can be extended in half-straight steps as you like. The pictures should show the general ideas only.
By the way: the distance between main track and pit-lane is exact the width of a half-straight border ... 6,5cm. Since the FLY pit-walls are no longer available, I think about to build a modular pit-wall which can be used in almost all in these layouts

Now I built some different straight pit-lane layouts with no or very slight bending:

Some pit-lanes with curved entry from different angles. Here I omit the borders to concentrate on the general idea:

By rotation and/or mirroring you will get the layout with a "curved exit", which is sometimes necessary based on the space you have available. As seen here too: there is no cut of a track piece needed, and bending the track (if any) is very very slight.

If you like you can place your pit-lane layouts here, so maybe we will get a nice library of pit-lanes.

Best regards, René

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Rene,
Nice idea for a thread. It seems like successful pit lanes are a bit of a 'dark art', the options with the single lane sections available are quite limited. I cut up some R1 hairpins to make mine. No track plans I'm afraid:

Cheers,
Richard

#3 ·
This post is from SlotForum Nürnberg Report back in 2006 and shows how they utilised straight lane changers in the pit area - http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13476
There are many more examples of this layout which I have seen on the forum.

The two posts below are from MartinT which show the custom made pit-lane he has created and tutorial on how to do it.
Remote LC sensors, Custom LCs, Custom Pitlanes... - http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry310141
Making your own lane-changer, A Do It Yourself "How to"... - http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=29620&st=0

I wish there was a way to program each lane change sensor in the pit area so it only respons to certain CarID
So, if you had 6 pit garages, each car could only pit in their own bay no matter how hard you tried to change the lane at the wrong place/sensor.

In any case, very good idea to get the new thread started on this topic.

#5 ·
zarko: I like to put a colored flag, same color as car# in pitpro, at the exact point that car should hit the LC button to go to it's pits, best we can do

I tend to use the scaly classic analog crossover for two pit stalls. I painted the adapter pieces , classic to sport, with little pit stalls so the cars know where to stop

#7 ·
QUOTE (JL-F1 @ 2 Feb 2011, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>zarko: I like to put a colored flag, same color as car# in pitpro, at the exact point that car should hit the LC button to go to it's pits, best we can do

I like that idea...

#8 ·
QUOTE (zarko @ 3 Feb 2011, 05:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wish there was a way to program each lane change sensor in the pit area so it only respons to certain CarID
So, if you had 6 pit garages, each car could only pit in their own bay no matter how hard you tried to change the lane at the wrong place/sensor.
I'd prefer, if they went into the wrong pit, it wouldn't count and they couldn't refuel. Maybe we can get that once we get sector timing.

#9 ·
Seems like you can do it with Scorpius Wireless!!! It's an expensive upgrade...

#11 ·
Bump!

Wonderful topic on pit-lanes. It helps a lot for people who are new to digital racing such as myself and have limited experiences with pit-lanes. I love the concept, and now I never want to go back. I have a couple of questions tho.

I heard somewhere that having a pit-lane entry before sf-line and exit after sf-line would be difficult? What is the problems? From what I can see, the racing software I have tried compensates for it. Is it the timing that people are worried about or counting of laps?

And then I wonder a bit about "pre-pit" build. Most people seem to feel that there absolutly should be a straight LC just before pit-entry, with all constraints and recommendations of "normal straights" around it. With the pit-lane, the sf-line and the XLC´s, that´s one heck of a straight that eats up space. Isn´t it good enough to simple have a suitable LC a little ahead? The straight before... or... the curve before?

Then about identifying cars. I dont see it as ever being possible with standard Scalextric SSD since the Lane Changers do not communicate in any way at all with the powerbase, the race management system or for that matter, the cars. But it´s nice to know that Scorpius or O2 might support it. But what about a mod? Has anyone attempted this and actually produced something usable?

In theory it shouldn´t be too hard to read the LED of the car and identify the Id of the car. And seriously, a wireless Xbee that contains enough computational power to handle this simple task costs like €3 today and can be hooked up to the Race Management system wirelessly or programmed from start on how to handle the solenoids to switch lanes. What´s the problem? Shouldn´t we make a serious attempt to finally get a general mod out there that can actually read our cars and switch a lane?

Or is it copyright and patents that we are worried about? Will Scalextric´s security department pay me a visit late at night if i decide to do it?

// Micke

#12 ·
QUOTE (joearcherscx200 @ 23 Feb 2011, 13:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i'd like to put a pit lane in my layout but I don't really see the point if you don't have a fuel management system-and that costs lots of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get SSDC v4 to run with the old Scaley 6 car PB for GBP 10 or for the new APB get V5 for GBP 30 and use a pit lane for refueling!

Check it out!

Cheers!

#13 ·
QUOTE (Minardi @ 2 Feb 2011, 11:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is my pitlane. Entry just before the corner behind the pit building. Made up of cut R1, R2 R3 and the squeeze track.

I am happy with one lane, works fine. 2 lane would be cool, but takes up so much space.
Sorry to harken back to the Catalunya/Minardi Ring... but just one question that came up in your posting above...

As I understand it you also HAD a 1.2m x 3-4m table and put the pit entrance in the end somewhere. Am I correct?
I would appreciate your help in understanding where it was located. Is it on the end or on the track on the back side of the table? It is hard to see in the above picture.

I am having trouble locating the pit entrance away from the straight on a similar sized table.

Cheers!

#14 ·
QUOTE Then about identifying cars. I dont see it as ever being possible with standard Scalextric SSD since the Lane Changers do not communicate in any way at all with the powerbase, the race management system or for that matter, the cars. But it´s nice to know that Scorpius or O2 might support it. But what about a mod? Has anyone attempted this and actually produced something usable?

Pit Pro does what you want. And more, like display fuel level. There is a sensor in the pit lane track piece that is used for identfying cars, usually at pit in. You can get an optional pit out sensor, or design pit lane before SF and use SF as pit out sensor. SSDC fully supports this.
And If I am correct, SSDC also has the option to use sensors of a 2nd (not powered) powerbase fo rpit in/out detection.

QUOTE As I understand it you also HAD a 1.2m x 3-4m table and put the pit entrance in the end somewhere. Am I correct?
Yes, you are right. The table was (is) 1.22 m., but the wall is flexible so I used a little more space to fit in a pit lane entry. I will try to find a picture.
That said, I have seen people shortening pit lane track pieces, doesn't look to difficult.

#17 ·
QUOTE (Minardi @ 13 Jan 2012, 03:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, you are right. The table was (is) 1.22 m., but the wall is flexible so I used a little more space to fit in a pit lane entry. I will try to find a picture.
That said, I have seen people shortening pit lane track pieces, doesn't look to difficult.
I know that with R2 curves one can fit a single straight across the end of a 1.2m board. The Pit Lane In track is 1.5 straights which means it will not fit and still allow borders around the corners. That is why I was asking about your layout.

Thanks again for sharing.
Cheers!

#18 ·
I have been surprised by the length needed to build a real good working pitlane.

You need to have a lane change at the track, so that you can prepare for entering the pit. Then you need two exits to have a two lane pit.

For the cars to pass each other inside the pit, you need a lane change inside the pit too (unless you add a crossing as suggested by JF-F1).

And if you want to navigate safely they must all be separated by a half straight.

The exits for leaving the pit may be joined tightly (- I had to put in some turns to have the pit follow the track).

My pit is adjacent to the track because I don't have the space needed to separate it further, although I think that would be the best. It leaves me with some thin pit walls stuck between the tracks.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ooh man, I just love those LMPs! Especially the Porsche and the Gulf Lola AM...

But here's another one for you guys:

The entrance to the pitlane is a cut up CLC in to out (when I made this Scalex did not produce the single LC "pitlane track" yet.
(it would never have fitted in my existing layout anyway
)
The sensor is transposed to the r2 just ahead of the CLC trackpiece, with an extra sensor eye just outside the lane (but since we drive mag cars only, it turns out not to be needed...)
(The track itself at the CLC is a radius 1.5 (the most inner lane is the outside lane of an r1, and the CLC being the inside r2)

The final result:

The LCs in the pit are homemade (I did a topic about it a few years back here on Slotforum, should still be around) as are the Xings and the exit. The track pieces are cut up r1s and straights.

A nice hectic atmosphere!

When it's time to pit the LEDS above the team's pitbox come on to warn the driver

The Yellow Ferrari being serviced, and the red one about to pull in for his stop, the mechanics prepped for their job, no mistakes now!

Of course there's always this one guy, who is oblivious to the whole frenzy, just minding his own business enjoying the nice weather on his day off...

Tata!

#20 ·
That is too cool!

Now how did you get the lights to come on when they need to pit? Is it driven by SSDC or PitPro or a manual switch?

I have always admired your pit lane (especially your entrance). Nowadays, one can use a series of XLCs in the pit and just block off the straight between the "ins" and "outs" to get a similar effect... but it would take a longer pit to accomplish.

Kudos to you, Martin, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

#21 ·
Thank you for your kind words Sealevel!
The LEDs are commanded on/off by PCLC, (low and out of fuel state) and they are controlled by a Phidgets board, which integrates with PCLC.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Martin, that is such a sweet pitlane! Thanks for sharing.
One day when I'm big....one day!

That dude under the tree reminds me of my wife at the Monza GP last year....she took a nap behind the Grand Stand while the GP2 cars were qualifying....still don't know how she did it with all that noise!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everybody,
Some very inspired pitlane designs have come up in this thread, I must say! Building on the same basis as MartinT in his wonderful layout - the CLC - I have made a simple curved entry pitlane to fit into a curve at a 90cm table end in my tiny home layout. The trackpower screendumps show the first attempt, and the one currently in the layout. Using a CLC served two purposes: It took up less space and eliminated the full R1 u-turn in the pitlane, and it broke the monotony of the R2 outside lane.

The photo is just to indicate that the fixed exit wedge/flipper has been fired up by soldering and wiring it to both the incoming and exit RH rail to avoid dead spots and ends.

A bit pedestrian, no big modifications involved. The rail section not in use has been temporarily covered with cloth tape though eventually I'll probably cut and adapt the CLC when making the layout (a little bit more) permanent.
Br,
Christian

#25 ·
Great work, Mr. Olufsen.
I wonder... do either you or MartinT have any "missed pits" using the CLC for the Pit Entry?
I am unable to compare your (2) designs with the straight pit entry so would be interested in your (or others) experience in missed "pit in's".

Thanks again for sharing!
Cheers!

#26 ·
Nice one Mr.O.!

Sealevel, the miss rate of the pitentry due to a missed LC are zero percent on my track. (even though I have the sensor in an r2 i.s.o. the regular half straight. The sensor does have an extra sensor eye on the outside of the rail, but with magracing this turned out not to be needed.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.