SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Imagine your throttle were to start blinking alerting you it's time to refuel.

Hi,
I'm starting this thread to see if I can drum up some interest in the following topic which will help me gauge whether it's a viable option to go ahead with adding LED warning lights to a SSD hand throttle.

here's pre-vis image I created earlier https://flic.kr/p/5751974834
After attending the recent slot festival at Gaydon I noticed how many people were having a hard time comprehending when their car was due for a pit lane stop.
I realize that SSDC is equipped with audio voices that normally alert a driver but there are times when audio just don't cut it.. especially when the room is filled with all sorts of background noise etc or kids being kids just don't seem to get it.. every little bit helps, right ?

a simple LED, maybe even a few in-line that can be pre-programmed via SSDC. Andy's SSDC is already able to output start lights & track lights .. so I'm guessing a fuel warning light would be fairly straight forward.. I'm only speculating here but it does seem really feasible...

any thoughts on this would be really appreciated.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Sounds interesting ....... maybe even a rumble solenoid fitted inside the throttle ala PS2????

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi **** .
See you been busy today then.
Yes brill idea if could be done
because alot of people didnt have a clue that was me
ade

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah yeah .. now we're talking, a throttle that vibrates. Not sure about the wiring and where it would fit... if it would fit at all.

Bigbird mentioned that maybe an LED might be obscured as many drivers tend to hold the throttle with both hands covering the top of the throttle.

I guess one can always revert to the old proven method where a mate standing behind simply smacks ya across the head yelling pull into the pits, idiot !!

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
rumble solenoid.Yeh....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what about the positioning of the LEDs...
where does everyone think would be the most strategic position to place such lights & given the fact that Andy's considering loading a couple more buttons to the pistol as it is.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
with the possibility of extra buttons how about in the colured tops??,even with both hands on they should still be visible.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
QUOTE (mickman @ 23 May 2011, 21:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>& given the fact that Andy's considering loading a couple more buttons to the pistol as it is.

OK must of missed this bit what more buttons then ?

Michael

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow installing an accelerometer one could simply apply gas by tilting the pistol grip forwards & probably incorporate braking into the trigger... awesome !!

Regards to installing a pit lane light: How many lights would be needed ? I'm guessn, its best to start out bare bones and just load one or two max.
red - pit-lane
yellow - track calls

·
Greg Gaub
14,983 Posts
I'm glad you guys are on the right track. IMHO, putting a light on the controller is a waste of time. Anyone racing hard enough not to look at the SSDC screen or Pit-Pro tower or any other trackside accessory would also not have the ability to look at their controller mid-race. That, plus as mentioned that people cover the top with their other hand. That is how I drive. Flat-o... errr...

So yeah, a vibration motor would be best. I think one of the other systems had this, such as SCXD? I dunno. The SCP-01d has a vibration motor in it for SOME reason. I do know that Scorpius and oXigen both plan to use that feature, though. Having the controller vibrate to alert you to a race condition would be excellent. You could then focus your vision on your car, where it belongs, and still know that you're running out of fuel or that there's a caution flag active (different pulse speeds/strength).

I'm curious how you plan to power it, though. I must assume that the idea is for a battery to be installed into the controller along with whatever other electronics there needs to be? Or is the C7042 capable of sending usable voltage down the controller line? Does it already?

Man, with all these system and chip enhancements, I wonder if I'll bother with oXigen at all. I'll probably just get the cartridge and receiver so I can go wireless and stick with SSD. ;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe there's no reason you can't have both an LED and a vibration motor hooked to the same lead.

I just looked up ' vibration motor ' on ebay. ( incredibly cheap. )
A simple iphone replacement vibration motor with pos / minus wiring is less than 3 pounds.

It would be advantageous to have the benefit of vibration alert in case your hand is obscuring the LED alert light.

Come to think of it, another great reason for throttle grip alerts is the fact that it enables a driver to be non-discreet.
Other drivers don't need to know when you're due to pull into the pits, thus creating a more realistic race strategy.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
and what a way to simulate tyre wear ............. rumble, rumble, thump, rumble, thump, etc .........

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 23 May 2011, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm glad you guys are on the right track. IMHO, putting a light on the controller is a waste of time. Anyone racing hard enough not to look at the SSDC screen or Pit-Pro tower or any other trackside accessory would also not have the ability to look at their controller mid-race. That, plus as mentioned that people cover the top with their other hand. That is how I drive. Flat-o... errr...
I am with Greg on this one. We race at ASSC with SSDC projected onto 100" screen on the wall and yet none of us have time to look up at a huge screen let alone try to move our other hand covering the controller to see if we need to pit or not. Sending vibrations through the controller would be ideal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you were racing with the controller held approx. chest height (not at your side) you'd see it as long as your hand is not obscuring it.
But it comes down to personal preference I guess. The ability to have vibration is definitely more discreet.

Is it possible to send short bursts of vibration to the controller to mimic tyre wear. Perhaps a single short pulse alerts you to pull into the pits for refueling.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
yes i remember Andy mentioning this on sunday along with the new throttle settings that will be in ssdc v5.? Who needs a slot it throttle anymore.Brilliant work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 23 May 2011, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any use for a triple axis accelerometer? Shaking the throttle to turn lights on and off perhaps?
Like Lemans when the fast cars come up? that would be sweet when you are lapping someone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts