SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts

Scalextric 25K motor 18V

Scalextric 30K motor 18V

Scaleauto 35K motor 18V
Note tyres missing, at 35K the tyres flew 5 metres across the room!

Yes you read right, 35000 rpm on 18V not a problem.

All tested flat out on 18V for 5 min with a load (friction on tyres).
All cases chip only luke warm.
Previous test on 25K motor showed components glowing red hot before blowing after 60 seconds full throttle 14V....huge difference.

Digital is very close now to club level.

Cheers
Injectorman

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
SSD twin chip mod video

This is a video showing twin chipped car on 18V for 13 minutes with Scaleauto 35,000 rpm motor. (No friction load on tyres)
The chip got to warm stage, never hot. Quickly took it to 27 volts for 3 seconds, and it handled it, one 6 car PB only.
At 25 volts it draws 1 full amp. On start up it draws 2 amps.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts

Rick - so obvious and yet so easy! Brilliant, mate flipping brilliant! Now we can go Aussie style and have say 6 chips for a real beefy motor.....

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
You will need MS or MSS mod to help carry the start up current (35K), actually Id say MSS minimum. After experimenting on track with a single 6 car PB had a few overloads. My MSS is out of action till next week. Ill try 25 and 30K motors next. Be wary your power system needs to have all the power mod tricks. I think for 6 cars with high RPM motors we will need a seperate output stage, or better still DC only on rails, (requires RF transmission of data) the power with data signal is great concept (SSD), but very limited powerwise. Sax will test with 25K motor and MSSSSS mod. Even with an MSS mod we may be only able to run say 3 to 4 cars.
Have done a few laps with an Aussie V8 with a Scaleauto (professor Motor) 35K motor and the power is mind blowing, it adds a new level of skill required to the sport, wouldnt suit smaller tracks perhaps. A large 50-60 m track with long straights would be great.
Oh and another little bonus, with this mod you can have an extra LED to cope with those power slides over the LC sensors.
Anyway at present I need just one fast car to test how the Lane Brain recognises car I.D. at high speed.
Cheers
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happens hardly ever with yellow to left.
If one chip changed ID I guess it would turn off as per usual.
Just use one LED anyway, but you could use two.
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
The thought had crossed my mind. I'man, I think Tarro's point is valid. If one chip changes ID then the drive to the motor will be imbalanced and one chip may well be back-driven causing failure. Just a risk worth taking I would say

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE Just a risk worth taking I would say
So every time one of the chips changes ID it may fry it, you guys need an intervention.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got a Rich G modified F1 chip which i bought from MattZani a while back. I installed that in a Scaley MC12 with the Scaley Orange can motor (30K) it has had a fair bit of use (many 40 lap sessions) and no issues to report appart from the car is much much quicker that the standard MC12.

Shaunbmx

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello, I am running the MS setup,would there be a higher risk of blowing the setup running the high power duel chip?Two or three cars would be all I would need to run with this type setup. Could I run both chips from one led,as I would think this would shut both chips down,with a ID loss.The MS setup has worked great for several months now,sure dont want to loose my six car bases.

Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dual chip with light blue Scalextric motor breaks all track records and is still going strong! The #24 with a dual chip,light blue Scaly motor,AND 1 extra bar magnet is the new standard for NASCAR racing.This should only be used with the MS setup. Both chips are running off of 1 led light.........The real benefit here is being able to use the two magnets without blowing a chip.To get the super fast lap times,you need two mags (don't worry, you still have to drive it, there's plenty of speed and power to fly across the room, it's just a bit faster through the turns).The chips do not over heat, and I believe a larger RPM motor will be no problem. I do recommend gluing the tires to the rims.
A GREAT BREAK THROUGH INJECTORMAN !

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 22 Oct 2007, 06:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The thought had crossed my mind. I'man, I think Tarro's point is valid. If one chip changes ID then the drive to the motor will be imbalanced and one chip may well be back-driven causing failure. Just a risk worth taking I would say

Very true Riko, so thats a negative (thanks Scaley) but a couple of things on our side perhaps is two chips can handle spikes better hence no changes (lets test) and if the chips are the same spec one would hope whatever causes the I.D. loss would make them both change I.D.s (lets test). Probably Nascarusa will be the first to find out. Hoping its a fix for ID losses not a hinderance, lets see.

QUOTE (shaunbmx @ 22 Oct 2007, 06:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got a Rich G modified F1 chip which i bought from MattZani a while back. I installed that in a Scaley MC12 with the Scaley Orange can motor (30K) it has had a fair bit of use (many 40 lap sessions) and no issues to report appart from the car is much much quicker that the standard MC12.

Shaunbmx

Thanks Shaun, onya Rich, definetly the way to go, 2 chips is just an experiment, obviously its bulkier and probably susceptible to other problems yet to be determined. All fun though. If youre good at soldering then Richs chip would be cheaper and smaller.

QUOTE (James J. @ 22 Oct 2007, 09:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I-man , likely that you're aware (mabe just a type-O and or to many hours in the Lab. ) but the yellow can is 20k and the orange can is 25k .

Thanks, yer the thought crossed my mind,I admit I got confused, yer but your right a few too many hours, example up last nite till 2.30 at Drummers doing mosfet replacements on PB's.
I think I got the Scaleauto one right, 35K, which is more demanding

QUOTE (NASCARUSA @ 23 Oct 2007, 00:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello, I am running the MS setup,would there be a higher risk of blowing the setup running the high power duel chip?Two or three cars would be all I would need to run with this type setup. Could I run both chips from one led,as I would think this would shut both chips down,with a ID loss.The MS setup has worked great for several months now,sure dont want to loose my six car bases.

Greg
I dont think so but Im not an EE One way to find out
I think the overload protection on the PB's is enough.

QUOTE (Spa67 @ 23 Oct 2007, 01:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your concerned about protecting your MS from dangers due to current draw just put a fuse in line between your power outputs and the track.

Spa 67
Thanks Spa, also I find the more PB's the less likelyhood of overloading, the PB's seem to absorb a certain amount of resistance and handle it.

QUOTE (NASCARUSA @ 24 Oct 2007, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Duel chip with light blue scalextric motor breaks all track records and is still going strong! The #24 with a duel chip,light blue scaly motor,AND 1 extra bar magnet is the new standard for NASCAR racing.This should only be used with the MS setup.Both chips are running off of 1 led light.........The real benifit here is being able to use the two magnets without blowing a chip.To get the superfast lap times,you need two mags(dont worry,you still have to drive it,theres plenty of speed and power to fly across the room,its just a bit faster through the turns).The chips do not over heat,and I believe a larger RPM motor will be no problem.I do reccommend gluing the tires to the rims. A GREAT BREAK THROUGH INJECTORMAN !

Wow this is good news, like I said just an experiment, but youve seem to have given it a reasonable test. Ill certainly be needing it this weekend when Ill be using it in a special car Im making up for massive top end speed. Enjoy!

Rick

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just ran over a hundred laps off and on,No ID loss,everything is working great.This car setup is like Santa Clause came last nite.....great pick up,very smooth thru the turns with the duel magnets.I run two 16 ft straightaways,one 14 ft,one 10 ft.Banked.R4........r3........r2...........curves.......a little bit of everthing,and this car is unbeatable,I am going to duel chip two more nascars today.A new level racing has been reached!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The car did loose the ID one time.This may be good news,as the car did stop.Both chips running off the single led , I suppose if only one lost the ID,then the other chip would fry. The Id loss was proably due to some loose track connections,or the massive wreck it had just befor the ID loss.I am thinking an ID loss could also be the result of worn braids.I started the testing with new braids,they are getting kind of thin,and are ready to be replaced.Either way,both chips losing there ID together is a plus for the duel chip setup.

Greg

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.