SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate these overloads. I am super careful but can not get through a 5 minute endurance race with out one.

does carrera have this issue??

brian

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Have you contacted Scalextric's helpline? Have they replaced parts yet? Definately sounds like you have a faulty set

saddly also, the answer seems to be yes as to Carrera. People from all three systems have ended up with stuff which doesn't work, requiring varying amounts of negotiations with their dealers to sort it out. A problem with cutting (bleeding) edge technology and early adopting generally

·
Registered
522 Posts
brian,
Nothing but uninterupted fun racing with carrera. No shorts or overloads.

Keep an eye on your SCI posts. I just realized that the shelf life of posts critical to SSD are very short over there. There have been MANY negative posts referring to overloads and powerbase failures but when I look through the history they seem to have been deleted! Critical posts only last a couple days.

Notice too that SCI only reviews products distributed by Hornby USA. There are no carrera reviews and while there is a link on the front page to the website, there appears to be no real affiliation. I understand that he is running a commercial venture (and it is his board), so if he wants to delete critical posts he's welcome. I do not think I will be posting there any more. I have made some headway in communicating the issues with SSD, but theres nothing I can do when the originating posts disappear every few days.

Its funny, but there is an American sporting publication with a similar name that provides information on all teams in the league. However, once you've spent time at SCI you realize there is only "National League" coverage.
It took me a while to realize. It is misleading.

SlotForum, HomeRacingWorld, and SlotCarworld seem to have unrestricted access to all manufacturers.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have been hearing from a lot of SSD users that the overload feature is somehow there fault. I hear things like my son wasn't careful when he put the car back on the track and caused an overload. Why should anyone have to do something perfect to keep from loosing all timing and scoring. No system should be that touchy. Other users have said you have to have the braid set just right. These digital sets are supposed to be about fun. Not doing everything just right to be able to complete a 5 minute race. I think Scalextric should have sent these sets out to testers and gained feedback about the system before putting it into production and what kind of faith is Scalextric showing there customers by only offering a 90 day warranty on a product that still has a lot of issues to be worked out. I agree all the systems have some problems but at least SCX and Carrera offer 2 year warranties. That tells me that they plan on getting any problems worked out while keeping the customer's initial investment protected at the same time.

Brian

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
it doesn't have much fun, but it sounds broken if you can't even complete a 5 minute race! If you like the system with its grand prix, rally, arcade, drag racing and other modes, persevere and contact your dealer about it for a replacement. You will be buying into a system with cars ready for scalextric digital pro whenever that comes out, and reduced upgrade costs than if you go for another system now.

If you don't like the system at all, then ask for your money back, since your set definately is one of the 5 broken ones

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (bmacminn @ 8 Jan 2005, 02:55)I hate these overloads. I am super careful but can not get through a 5 minute endurance race with out one.

does carrera have this issue??

brian
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you have 2 power supplies?

·
Registered
211 Posts
bmacminn

What setup are you running ?

I have 2 standard scalextric digital power supplies and currently have no overloads problems at all.

Whats cars are you running what are the pickups like.

How many cars are you running and when are the overloads happerning.

I have done a quick test with a screw driver and it take 3 seconds with 1 digital power supply and 5 seconds with 2 digital power supplies to get the overload message.

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 03:34)brian,
Keep an eye on your SCI posts. I just realized that the shelf life of posts critical to SSD are very short over there. There have been MANY negative posts referring to overloads and powerbase failures but when I look through the history they seem to have been deleted! Critical posts only last a couple days.I have delete no posts about problems with Scalextric Digital.
QUOTE Notice too that SCI only reviews products distributed by Hornby USA. There are no carrera reviews and while there is a link on the front page to the website, there appears to be no real affiliation. I understand that he is running a commercial venture (and it is his board), so if he wants to delete critical posts he's welcome. I do not think I will be posting there any more. I have made some headway in communicating the issues with SSD, but theres nothing I can do when the originating posts disappear every few days.I have never deleted a post from you about Digital, and welcomed you to post a Review on Carrera Digital.

All I have ever asked you is to cut out the continual bashing of other brands in your Carrera Digital posts.
QUOTE Its funny, but there is an American sporting publication with a similar name that provides information on all teams in the league. However, once you've spent time at SCI you realize there is only "National League" coverage.
It took me a while to realize. It is misleading.We post reviews of all brand on SCI as does Slot Forum. The two other Sites you mention are Retail Stores doing Reviews so they will always review all they sell in the hope you buy from them.

However we have had extremely poor response from the Carrera Importer over the supply of information and any product to review.
We do now have a Carrera Digital Set and plan on reviewing it, although we still would like a Review from readers like you, I guess you do not want to do one, that's OK.

To Slot Forum Readers, I apolagize about posting this here, but I feel very offended that someone would post lies about me, I have never deleted negative posts about Digital any brand.
QUOTE SlotForum, HomeRacingWorld, and SlotCarworld seem to have unrestricted access to all manufacturers.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for hearing the other side, hope to see some of you at the Toy Fairs, where I will review all the brands on show.

Cheers

Alan Smith

SCI

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE All I have ever asked you is to cut out the continual bashing of other brands in your Carrera Digital posts.
Being a consumer advocate is tricky business. I cant present accurate facts without being accused of bias.

You are correct, you have not deleted any of my posts.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 17:18)Being a consumer advocate is tricky business.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then stop trying to be a consumer advocate. You do have very valuable knowledge and insights, there is no need to try to sell Carrera. Just tell it like it is.

Your reviews and articleslike the timer for Carrera, and the ideas about sacrificial and beneficial LCs are great and inspired. There is really no need to campaign against other manufacturers or pretend that Carrera is more than it is. It just ends up hiding the gems of knowledge that you do have.

Yours hopefully

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Astro,

I want to put things in perspective for you.

1) I provided the "Advanced Feature Comparison." This was generally hailed as valuable in seprating the marketing hype from the features that are important to the enthusiast. I received alot of praise for this. There was orignally no criticism on the comparison as it listed Carrera's lack of brakes (remember how vocal I was about that!?) and SDDs response to aftermarket power was still listed as "unknown". There were alot of reports on the "overload" errors, so its inclusion in the list has not been hard to defend.

2) In the past three weeks, carrera has fixed the brakes and we have learned that SSDs response to aftermarket power is not ideal - that there are still problems driving multiple cars without interaction and that lane changing can be felt. Additionally, carrera and sclextric released their digital plans for 05' and it appears that carrera has a huge commitment to digital. Scalextric's commitment appears marginal in comparison.

3) I updated the list to include the new findings and you and moped have demonized me for my "carrera bias". I can no longer post without negativity from you (at least mopeds been banned here).

Had SSDs response to aftermarket power been differnt, had there not been so many overload errors (just look through the thread history here -- They have been deleted at SCI), then the chart would look differnt. I was even considering switching to SSD, but based on correspondence from Carrera regarding the brakes and problem reports from users of SSD, I stayed the course. The comparison is objective, it just doesnt favor YOUR brand.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Please guys, lets stop bashing and flaming. Or else it will get locked.

I have done some editing and sent PM's.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Darainbow, I am not about to get into bickering.

Those that know my posts for a while will also know that I was an equally harsh critic of Moped when he posted things which overated scalextric's products. I also believe Carrera (and SCX) are good products which suit many people.

I will say that you complaints about the first batch of scalextric products to hit the shelves are scandelous. Have you contacted scalextric, retailers or distributers to find out what the actual PERCENT of returns/faults there were? If you do not do the research, then claiming that a product DOES NOT WORK as your first entry on the table is irresponsible defamation of a product.

I was also one of the people originally praising the table - such a resource is much needed. My praise was partly because at that time I believed you when you said it was a work in progress and your intention was to be factual and unbiased.

And as said before, I know which product suits me, and I realise that product does not suit everyone. I am strongly against misinformation which may affect those less knowledgable of the characters who present the 'facts'

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 19:51)Astro,

I want to put things in perspective for you.

1) I provided the "Advanced Feature Comparison." This was generally hailed as valuable in seprating the marketing hype from the features that are important to the enthusiast. I received alot of praise for this. There was orignally no criticism on the comparison as it listed Carrera's lack of brakes (remember how vocal I was about that!?) and SDDs response to aftermarket power was still listed as "unknown". There were alot of reports on the "overload" errors, so its inclusion in the list has not been hard to defend.

2) In the past three weeks, carrera has fixed the brakes and we have learned that SSDs response to aftermarket power is not ideal - that there are still problems driving multiple cars without interaction and that lane changing can be felt. Additionally, carrera and sclextric released their digital plans for 05' and it appears that carrera has a huge commitment to digital. Scalextric's commitment appears marginal in comparison.

3) I updated the list to include the new findings and you and moped have demonized me for my "carrera bias". I can no longer post without negativity from you (at least mopeds been banned here).

Had SSDs response to aftermarket power been differnt, had there not been so many overload errors (just look through the thread history here -- They have been deleted at SCI), then the chart would look different. I was even considering switching to SSD, but based on correspondence from Carrera regarding the brakes and problem reports from users of SSD, I stayed the course. The comparison is objective, it just doesnt favor YOUR brand.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not deleted anything re overloads on SSD, or Carrera posts.

QUOTE (darainbow @ 8 Jan 2005, 19:18)QUOTE All I have ever asked you is to cut out the continual bashing of other brands in your Carrera Digital posts.
Being a consumer advocate is tricky business. I cant present accurate facts without being accused of bias.

You are correct, you have not deleted any of my posts.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Nuro and everyone else,

All I ask for is the truth, I have deleted non of darainbow's posts on SCI his quote here confirms this. He then states I have deleted him again.

I will agree with him on the Moped thing, so pro Scalextric it makes everyone else go the other way.

I also agree with Bswan that Scalextric is very sensitive to overload, and should not be, I hope they are working on this.

Some of the Chaps over in OZ had found with better Power Supplies ( more amps ) they could cut out the overload problem.

All I want to hear on any brand, is how does it work, if you had/have problems how were/are they resolved, not Scalextric only has a 90 day Warranty so they are not committed to helping their customer. That is rubbish, however Hornby should look at the competition and adjust their policy to suit.

Again thanks for listening now go race some ( add your favorite brand here) Model Race cars and have fun.

Cheers

Alan

SCI

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guy's

I think we all need to stop think and think again as the idea of the forum is to help each other work out problems, not keep giving each other a verbel kicking.

We all have out favourites systems, but lets remember that we all have money invested in our own current setups, last count for me was about £6000, lets remeber that just becuase we all like different systrems doesn't mean we have to hate each other.

We all enjoy racing Slotcars one way or another.

ScalextricRacer

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Scaleracing
QUOTE (Scaleracing @ 8 Jan 2005, 22:56)All I want to hear on any brand, is how does it work, if you had/have problems how were/are they resolved, not Scalextric only has a 90 day Warranty so they are not committed to helping their customer. That is rubbish, however Hornby should look at the competition and adjust their policy to suit.I'm using two SSD sets without any problems.
Here in Denmark we have 1 year warranty by law, and that also applies to Scalextric. If a manufacturer won't give a one year warranty, the shop that sells you the parts will have to cover the warranty ... it's never the customers problem.

I can assure you that Scalextric wouldn't be selling anytning in Denmark, if they didn't provide the 1 year warranty to the shops.

Another quick note: this discussion on Darainbows comparison chart is bringing us nowhere.
... I haven't posted any views on this subject, because they were very well represented by Astro. I'm probably Scalextric biased - although I don't feel that way - I suppose it depends on your personal view. So who am I to judge anyway.

Everyone has the right to have their own oppinion, and I don't see how we can gain anything by continuing this discussion. I don't think that anybody is totally unbiased ... everyone has a personal oppinion. Claiming to be unbiased is perhaps not the most humble view on ones own oppinion, but then again, this is hardly the biggest problem in the world right now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (scalextricracer @ 8 Jan 2005, 23:51)lets remember that we all have money invested in our own current setups, last count for me was about £6000, <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch ............ spoken like a woman

Lv Hugs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am sorry to all here,

I tried to discuss only being truthful, you can not say I did something I did not do, then confirm I did not do it then say I did again and be believed, can you?

Sorry for writing in red, it was so you could see what I wrote. I am now writing in blue because that is how I feel. BLUE at all this crap.

I like Artin, Carrera, Ninco, Scalextric ( Spain) Scalextric UK and all the other makers of this fun hobby.

Please go play with your cars it will be therapeutic.

Now back to Model Car Racing ( I hope )

Cheers

Alan

PS Anyone want to do a Carrera Review for SCI?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts