SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I wonder IT literate person knows this...I am unable to get a COM port on my Win10 laptop to run SSDC. I've tried 'show hidden devices' in device manager, I've tried downloading ftdi drivers, I've even tried turning it off and on again!
All the help pages tell me to 'Add legacy hardware' in Device Manager, but that doesnt exist for me :(

Thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
What happened when you plugged the cable in the first time? Did it say that it was installing drivers?
If you download and install RCS64, every time you run the program, it will scan all available com ports and identify what device is on each available port. If that works, then you can see what port it selected for the APB, and you can mirror that in SSDC.
If it finds nothing, then it might be worth using RCS64 to install the hardware drivers. It has a button that does that for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened when you plugged the cable in the first time? Did it say that it was installing drivers?
If you download and install RCS64, every time you run the program, it will scan all available com ports and identify what device is on each available port. If that works, then you can see what port it selected for the APB, and you can mirror that in SSDC.
If it finds nothing, then it might be worth using RCS64 to install the hardware drivers. It has a button that does that for you.
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't say anything when I plugged the cable in the first time sadly.
I downloaded the RCS64 software, because thats what sorted it for me last time. Unfortunately, it scans for ports but says it found none.
When I try and install drivers from RCS64, there isnt an option for Win10 on there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would forget any software until Windows is correctly recognising the Arduino as a device and installs (or has previously installed), the correct drivers. If this isn't correct no SW that communicates with COM ports can ever work correctly. Once windows is fixed then look at SSDC.

I have one laptop that runs Windows10 (which personally I do not like and mainly still use Win7), so I just checked by plugging in an Arduino, you should see any devices under [Ports], you appear not to have this in your Device Manager?

View attachment 275419
Thanks for the reply!
Whats the Arduino may I ask? There is an option to install that on RCS64

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Um, sorry, I got confused and my previous post was ment for another thread, pls ignore my Arduino comments, apologies :-|

So you have a 6 car APB C7042 and are running SSDC? You need to work out why Windows10 is not recognising the APB and generating a COM port.

As you have RCS64 I would use this for testing as Greg mentioned.

You might have blown the FTDI cable electronics (they generate the serial link from APB that the PC USB can understand), this is easily done if you do not follow the correct order for plugging and unplugging the FTDI cable. In short, if you have not plugged cable in to powered up laptop first but have plugged cable in to APB then switched APB on then the APB does not detect a USB connection and sends 12V to the cable (it think it's communicating with the Tower), frying FTDI chip...

I'd try another cable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Um, sorry, I got confused and my previous post was ment for another thread, pls ignore my Arduino comments, apologies :-|

So you have a 6 car APB C7042 and are running SSDC? You need to work out why Windows10 is not recognising the APB and generating a COM port.

As you have RCS64 I would use this for testing as Greg mentioned.

You might have blown the FTDI cable electronics (they generate the serial link from APB that the PC USB can understand), this is easily done if you do not follow the correct order for plugging and unplugging the FTDI cable. In short, if you have not plugged cable in to powered up laptop first but have plugged cable in to APB then switched APB on then the APB does not detect a USB connection and sends 12V to the cable (it think it's communicating with the Tower), frying FTDI chip...

I'd try another cable.
Thanks for that! I followed rikorockets steps to the letter of the law, but perhaps a new cable is required. Or a laptop with Win7

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks for that! I followed rikorockets steps to the letter of the law, but perhaps a new cable is required. Or a laptop with Win7
I would try a new cable first, it should work OK with Win10, try re-installing the drivers from RCS64?

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Hello RedLineRacingDevon,
You may already know this but, "Add Legacy Hardware" is in the <Action> menu.

Leo

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am an IT engineer so here are a cpl of troubleshooting tips;
Your drivers installed on the first computer might be corrupt, or the com cable is not functioning any more.
Easiest first test to narrow it down is to plug in the cable into another computer. Open device manager before you plug it in and see if something happens when you plug in the cable.
Install the drivers manually.
I would download the FTDI drivers from the website. There are instructions with the cable from Riko if I remember correctly. I think this is the correct link for the drivers, though; Virtual COM Port Drivers
(someone correct me if I am wrong, please)

If drivers are installed successfully and the device is identified the cable will show up under "Ports (COM and LPT) in device manager. If you are unable to find the cable in device manager there is no point in proceeding to SSDC or RCS64.
Reason; if the computer cannot see the cable the software will not be able to.

If the cable works on another computer you can report the results here and we can proceed with removing the corrupt drivers from the original computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts