SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,

I found that when a driver gets a lower power setting (say 60%), his fuel usage goes way up compared to drivers with 100% power. This leads to longer pitstop time for these drivers and they become even lower in ranking than they are without fuel simulation. I gave these drivers less power because they are inexperienced.

Look like a bug or am I missing something?
Anybody who experienced this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it perhaps that the drivers on the lower power are on full throttle for a lot longer than the ones with max power?

I would imagine that the fuel burn is calculated by how much throttle is applied and for how long.

Any of the experts please feel free to correct me though.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Fuel burn is a function of throttle, more throttle = more fuel burn ........ lots of throttle = phut.

60% may be a little low, I would try 75%ish. Also what you could do is to change their settings for fuel burn rate as well. It 's probably best not to make their tanks bigger as this decrease their top speed as well for longer as the fuel burns off.

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
Bang on Greg.

We tried this a while back. A car running a roughly 80% speed lasted 12 laps of my track. A car with the same settings running as flat out as possible only lasted 10 laps of the track. Very rough figures but yes - the harder you squeeze that throttle the more fuel you burn and it's a logarithmic curve pretty much like real life fuel consumption.

And in a field of 6 over a 30 lap race the smoother, steadier 80% driver wins. It would be the other way around on a less twisty track.

If you have identical cars them limiting power will result in maximum fuel burn at 60% power applied not 100%. If you had two different cars and used the power limit to match them for speed it would be a completely relevant model.

As you are using similar cars then Greg's advice is spot on - you need to reduce the rate at which that car burns fuel. You can also increase the rate at which a tank fills up by the way.

On my track I have 2 R1 hairpins and I set throttle limits at 65% so little kids can only come off at the hairpins and nowhere else. For an adult I would be tempted to limit them to no less than 80% otherwise they will never learn to go fast.

You might consider giving your inexperienced drivers 90% power and a little more magnet and/or slightly grippier tyres.

I have a couple of sets of 6 evenly matched cars and would be tempted to introduce a novice by giving them full power with a little more magnet and urethane tyres whilst making the rest drive on standard rubber. When they get used to it - take out the extra magnet and a little later give everybody else urethanes as well!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I use a very simple method which works well. I made a lineair throttle profile that cuts power at 40 (of 63). No matter how hard you squeeze, the output will never be more than 40 so I'd say It wont burn more fuel. I haven't compared It because we all used the same profile for our magless cars in that specific race (called the profile first ' kids' but changed It to 4063, sounds cooler :). This way cars never reach their full power on straights and in twisty sections you cant get beyond 40/63. Now this was with using RCS64, but I think It is the same in SSDC.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My experience is the same, Fuel burmn is a function of trigger position, not actual consumed power. Hence with large reductions in power the driver spends more tome with the trigger at 100% and hence uses more fuel. If an adult, one option would be to shape the throttle so that the power rises very steeply at the end of the trigger pull and tell them not to use the last section.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks guys for reacting,

The problem is that the drivers that have reduced power cannot drive properly because for them the throttle is too sensitive/powerful at 100%
But now they are 'punished' for having a lower power setting.

Editing the car settings (fuel burn rate or tank size) could be a workaround and is the solution for now I think, but not desirable because if I host a race, I want to use the event wizard, so that everyone gets to drive every car once. So that would mean I have to change settings every race...
I prefer not to change car settings because all my cars (except for pacers) are more the less equal to each other (variation < 8%)

UshCha: More top end power sensitivity leads to even more crashes I'm afraid, even for adults :)
Minardi: You say that no matter how hard they squeeze it won't burn more fuel. But Is that true? my experience is that they burn a lot that way

I still think fuel usage should be corrected by power setting (fuel usage = fuel usage * 0,6 when power is 60% or something like that). In real life a car running at 50% power does not burn a lot fuel as well.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
QUOTE Minardi: You say that no matter how hard they squeeze it won't burn more fuel. But Is that true? my experience is that they burn a lot that way
Yes It is true when you use a throttle profile that at a certain point in the graph It becomes a horizontal line (in my example this is at 40), so at position 63 , output is still 40. I think that what you want is not how It is programmed now in SSDC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts