SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using my iPad as a remote terminal to run SSDC and running a hi definition monitor from the iPad as a remote display. I do this because my PC is not close to my PB, its on the other side of the room. My question is would it be possible to use the built in Bluetooth on the iPad in place of a dongle on the PC for throttle pro, if I decide to get one?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
BUT this could lead elsewhere... Could the iPad potentially act as a controller if a suitable app was produced? Or better yet could OSC be added to software? This opens up a world of accessible devices to use as a controller.

A pure-data patch could be knocked up already to convert osc into whatever protocol/data the software is expecting, and spit it to a virtual comm port or similar... Then folks could knock up custom controllers in TouchOSC for multi platform mobile devices. This is how I currently control a hell of a lot of pa/lighting/media equipment, so I already have the pure-data patches to convert osc to midi/dmx. I just need to know what the software expects to receive from a controller, and from where, and how indiv controllers are distinguished. A simple 6ch mixer template could allow live manual control of all 6 cars simultaneously by a single driver... with lane change buttons for each.

But also, if that was doable, I have pure-data patches for game controllers too... Imagine driving a scaly car with your gaming pedals, or an analog Xbox controller...

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
It seems to me that Richard ................. is looking for an excuse to buy an iPad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Richard - How are you currently linking the iPad and PC? I ask this question as an owner of both an iPad and SSDC. The ability to have my iPad propped up in the middle of my track with the SSDC screen running is a very attractive prospect.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
QUOTE Greg, 100 lines: I must read the first post

I did Chris ........ I'm on about the new iPad

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE (J3/5 Man @ 22 Mar 2012, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard - How are you currently linking the iPad and PC? I ask this question as an owner of both an iPad and SSDC. The ability to have my iPad propped up in the middle of my track with the SSDC screen running is a very attractive prospect.

Check out the Air Display app. In mirror mode (using WiFi) it displays what's on your PC (SSDC) on your iPad. It also allows the iPad touch function to work for most of the SSDC buttons,menus and you can also enter text using the iPad keyboard.

Steve

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Is there an equivalent Android app?

I picked up a brand new 10" tablet with a capacitive screen and 32gb memory card for under £150. Android 2.3. Bargain.

I also bought a new 7" tablet also with Android 2.3 for £45.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use either the RDP or the Jump app to remote logon to the PC and I have TightVNC. One problem that I am trying to solve is that when you remote login to the PC the PC's screens go blank. I am currently overcoming this by running two HD monitors from the iPad using the iPad hdmi adapter with an inline splitter and two hdmi cables, one to each monitor.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Greg, am eating humble pie

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 22 Mar 2012, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there an equivalent Android app?

I picked up a brand new 10" tablet with a capacitive screen and 32gb memory card for under £150. Android 2.3. Bargain.

I also bought a new 7" tablet also with Android 2.3 for £45.
Now it's getting interesting. Don't want to hijack the thread but are these ebay cheapies from China? Do they work ok & can they be upgraded to later Android versions?

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Richard... Remote desktop will log out the PC amd connect the iPad as a thinterminal. VNC will connect and mirror to the iPad with full touchscreen support without logging off the PC.

With an iPad 2 and an AppleTV2 you can wirelessly send whatever's on your iPad screen to whatever you hook the appleTV up to... So iPad to appleTV wirelessly, appleTV to splitter, to your two screens. Vnc instead of remote desktop. Voila.

Mr Modifier : Vnc is multi platform. TightVNC on the PC, and any vnc client from your devices AppStore (android or apple) will work fine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Awesome !! I have both an iPad & an Android Galaxy tablet.

I wonder if I can transmit SSDC to both my iPad & Galaxy Tab ?

What would be the better brand apps & where could I download such magical apps ?

Ah one issue .. I don't have Apple TV2 .. but I do see it on Apple's web site for $100. ( I can live with that )

So am I right in saying this setup will allow me to control SSDC remotely but not the actual car's throttle, unless Andy manages to add a throttle controller to SSDC.. yes ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes. Full ssdc control, but no throttle control. I'll be looking into a way of implementing my above suggestion soon once I've gotten a cable for my C7030 6PB and a copy of ssdc.

Tight vnc on the PC as per the above. And take your pick of vnc apps for your tablets. I use Mocha VNC, but there are loads of clients out there. It's a standardised protocol, so just search for vnc on the marketplace. And yes, you can connect both tablets up simultaneously to the PC.

You only need appleTV to wirelessly send your iPad's screen to a hdmi tv/monitor. It's not needed for the vnc side of the equation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE unless Andy manages to add a throttle controller to SSDC.. yes ?

Well ssdc can already listen for a throttle over Bluetooth... I just need to suss out virtualising the comes port and what format I need to program into pure-data to convert the signals that TouchOSC can send out. Technically ssdc can do it, but giving the required info out could dent sales of the wireless throttles, so I'm guessing I'll just have to experiment to suss it, but if I can then it means control via iPod touch / iPhone / iPad / android device is quite doable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awallace - is it possible to have ssdc output the leader board screen only to an iPad via Bluetooth (or any wireless protocol)?

I can currently use the iPad to replicate the screen of my Mac or PC but it would be cool if the iPad could act as a remote leader board without having to fiddle with the screen of my PC.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm guessing that Marci or someone else could/would happily write an app to deal with the output(?)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if SSDC does introduce a virtual throttle, there'd still be loads of racers who'd prefer the ergonomic touch of a trigger/grip as apposed to the lack of haptic feedback one recieves from swiping a tablet screen... but having said this, I guess it would be pretty darn cool to have both accelerator & brake sliders large enough so you could use both hands on the tablet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great minds think alike! I was thinking of sliders for both throttle and brake but have an image that represents an F1 steering wheel with displays for fuel brake and throttle settings, lap times best and current, lap number and race position. Have SSDC send a data stream back to the pad or iPhone via the blue tooth or wireless connection for the display. Then all the race info will be displayed at your finger tips.
Another option is to use the pad as as a personal display device, one for each driver and send the data stream over a wireless network. Then you could use Andy's Throttle Pro and have SSDC send information to your pad or phone
Just a couple of thought from an old guy with way too much time on his hands!

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (chris99 @ 23 Mar 2012, 06:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg, am eating humble pie

Now it's getting interesting. Don't want to hijack the thread but are these ebay cheapies from China? Do they work ok & can they be upgraded to later Android versions?

Chris

Yep they are cheapies from China and yes they work OK. As they come with Android 2.3 I haven't tried to root them and upgrade the OS although I have done this OK to my Dell Streak so I don't see why not.

QUOTE (Boy Racer @ 24 Mar 2012, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Awallace - is it possible to have ssdc output the leader board screen only to an iPad via Bluetooth (or any wireless protocol)?

I can currently use the iPad to replicate the screen of my Mac or PC but it would be cool if the iPad could act as a remote leader board without having to fiddle with the screen of my PC.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm guessing that Marci or someone else could/would happily write an app to deal with the output(?)

How would this work with an extended desktop? I run a second monitor from my laptop - the Leader Board on the large external display and everything else on the laptop display. How does tight VNC cope with this? I am hoping it will only replicate one screen or the other and not try to squash the whole extended desktop onto the tablet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts