SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIrst, is there a forum specifically for SSDC I should go to?

When I run this software, the sound skips and stutters real bad and the mouse just jumps around instead of moving smoothly. Any ideas?

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Wow that is new one.

No there is not a specific area for it here on Slotforum - you posted it the correct area.

Do you mind telling us the specifications of the PC you running it on as a starting point?

·
Registered
424 Posts
It sounds as if the PC is overworked, have a look in task manager to see what else is running and what is using the processor.

Could be something like the virus checker running in the background.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AMD XP2100
Fresh Windows XP Service pack 3 install with all updates
Nvidia Gforce 5600 video card 256 MB
Soundblaster Live
250 Gig HD
1 Gig Ram
Asus MB

All the latest drivers and flashed the bios to the latest non beta.

No extra stuff running, I always load drivers only without all the othe BS when I can.
This computer is just for this so I am not using it for anything else. I did load Office on it and Adobe reader (after this problem was already there though).

As for virus software, I did load Windows defender, since it is free. I can try turning that off and see what happens.

This computer had a dead memory battery for the CMOS that I replaced and I accidentally set the date to 2012 and when I corrected it, I could no longer mess with the evaluation (thinks it expired). Anyway, looks like I got my license today, so I will mess with it more soon.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
QUOTE (jevs @ 19 Dec 2011, 13:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AMD XP2100
Fresh Windows XP Service pack 3 install with all updates
Nvidia Gforce 5600 video card 256 MB
Soundblaster Live
250 Gig HD
1 Gig Ram
Asus MB

All the latest drivers and flashed the bios to the latest non beta.

That is quite powerful in comparison to my cheapskate DELL Optiplex that I'm running purely SSDC on.

Also did a fresh install last week after getting my license and had no issues thus far.

If all the other stuff that has been mentioned is not working - from experience I know the Soundblaster drivers can be a bit finicky sometimes and affect mouse performance, for one...have you tried un-installing or rolling back the "latest version" and installing the version just before the latest?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At work now. Just got my license for the SSDC this morning, so will try a again tonight. Unfortunatly this computer had a dead cmos battery when I started fixing it up and I accidientally had the date in the bios wrong when I installed SSDC. That is all corrected now with a new battery installed, but my evaluation was instantly expired
Did not get to play with fixing the issue much yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the processor is pegging out. No virus protection turned on. No other applications running. Other processes seam to be normal with most of the percenage hanging out in System Idle Process. Other things hardly register any usage. WHen SSDC is on the processor is 80-100% pegged.

Here is the wierd thing. Just typing in this window appears to peg out the prcoessor. When not typing it sits at 2-4%. When I type fast, it pegs it at 100% the entire time I am typing. Is this normal?

P.S. typing in notepad has virtually no effect on processor speed. Smooth as can be.

Any ideas? I rechecked the sound drivers and video drivers and they are the latest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I figured it out. I went into SSDC and selected a different com port (to disable communication). CPU usage went to normal immediatly. So...I decided to try one of the 1.x USB ports instead of the 2.X ports. Problem seams to be gone now. For some reason I don't think the cable likes my faster USB ports. I did have a problem getting the faster ports to work. I had to go find some drivers on VIA's website. My other USB devices work fine on these ports though. Anyway I will play more tommorow, but the speach, audio, program navigation, and CPU usage went to normal when going to the slower USB port, so I think it is going to be solved......

·
Administrator
10,158 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts