SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was just reading a post mentioning 4 lane pb's as an idea for Scalextric to reduce start crashes. This is obviously a problem. I don't have SSDC yet but I do notice that when starting if you are behind another car whose driver is a little slower on the trigger, you end up crashing into them instantly!

What if something like SSDC was set up to gradually start the power at take off over a couple of seconds? So as soon as the lights go out you have a gradual increase from 0% to 100% power over a time of about two seconds. I also think it would seem more realistic than the almost instant acceleration to full welly that we get now.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Damo,

To avoid this problem we space our cars out a far bit on the grid to ensure a lot of room between cars at the start, this grid positioning also puts more importance on the qualifying rounds to get a good lap time without crashing.

However when we run a reverse grid we still have this issue and it is up to driver skill & reaction to avoid slower traffic ahead, we also sometimes put limits on the number of track calls a driver is allowed to initiate (i.e. handicap style based on driver skill & experience) and if they use up their track call allowance they are retired from the race (helps slow down the full trigger types and encourage racing)

When I find myself at the back of the grid I always take off gently to allow the other cars to get well ahead and hopfully crash at the first hairpin turn and I can slide right through (home track advantage I should be penalised I know)

Not sure I would want my start acceleration controlled by the system, much prefer to control it myself and set up arrangements that encourage behaviour of other drivers, like when the kids have a party I run some "crash & burn" style races and they soon adjust their driving if they want to stay in the race.

Hope this helps.

·
Greg Gaub
14,982 Posts
Another idea mentioned elsewhere is to enable the drivers with a slight delay. So, drivers 1 and 2 get to go immediately, but drivers 3 and 4 have a 20ms (or whatever) delay, and drivers 5 and 6 have 40ms. If something like that were added, the time would be adjustable as well as completely optional. It probably also would only work well with the APB, though it could probably be made to work with the C7030 PB-Pro as well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Damo
I am a Carrera guy but same principal applies

I think Phil has nailed it.
I wouldn't like to see the system control the start speed as this is not true racing.
Plus this would encourage drivers to flat stick the controller and would probably cause more collisions as the power increases.

It should be up to driver skills to avoid such collisions.

As already suggested your best bet maybe to run a qualifying round and place the slower drivers at the back of the grid.

Cheers

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
QUOTE Another idea mentioned elsewhere is to enable the drivers with a slight delay. So, drivers 1 and 2 get to go immediately, but drivers 3 and 4 have a 20ms (or whatever) delay, and drivers 5 and 6 have 40ms. If something like that were added, the time would be adjustable as well as completely optional. It probably also would only work well with the APB, though it could probably be made to work with the C7030 PB-Pro as well.QUOTE

That is exactly what I would like to have Greg.

Joel

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
There's a bit on the SSDC website where you can log ideas like this. Then if enough people vote for it (start a campaign!) or Andy just likes it then he will code it.
I like the 20ms idea

·
Registered
3,057 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
FYI, here is the feedback link on the SSDC site (link) to comment on the addition of an auto start delay.

Please comment on that site if you wish Andy Wallace to consider it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
226 Posts
We start cars 3 feet between rows on the grid. And if you think this makes qualifying times more important, think again. No matter how far apart you start, cars will accordion into Turn One, and run as close together as if started an inch apart. So, all said about driver dicretion and common sense, is common sense. Besides, I don't like to automate things which should be driver controoled.

·
Greg Gaub
14,982 Posts
Ah, but for those that don't have so much room to spread out their grid, a very short delay is just as good. You've created a delay with physical spacing, but SSDC can create that same delay without it. In practice, it would LOOK like each row of cars reacted when the row in front of them took off, since the idea is for the delay to be configurable to tenths of seconds, or less.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
i would be happy to see a delay for the 2nd and 3rd rows of 20ms and 40ms with a build up to top speed from the start only.So track calls etc after the start get to speed as normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts