Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've only just gone to the APB, done the power mod which went well and all works.

I also updated to SSDC V5.4.2.0, I have a Rich-G lap tower complete with a new Riko cable for it and Pit-Pro, all these come to a 4 to 1 USB 2.0 passive box, these all worked previously with SSDC V4 and PB-Pro.

I'm running SSDC on a 1.5 year old laptop running Windows 7 Professional.

My problem appears with Pit-Pro, when connected SSDC goes beserk, going into pit lane is not recognised, the Pit-Pro display goes through a wierd cycle of lights and I lose throttle control with it varying from flat out to ptit lane speed to none at all, it all seems very random

For a short period today Pit-Pro worked a treat, but I can't duplicate it again.

With Pit-Pro unplugged everything works well, APB & Laptower function normally.

I have tried plugging the Pit-Pro directly into a USB post on the laptop, this made no difference.

I have the ports allocated correctly in SSDC, so has Pit-Pro done a mortal flip or is there a comms problem?

Can anyone shed some light on my little problem?

Thanks

Marty

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Check the routing of the Pit-Pro cable. You must have had two cables one for pit-Pro and one for your PB-Pro, try using the old RichG Aux cable if it is the USB version, they are the same as the Pit-Pro cables.

The other thing that springs to mind is have you got an iffy connection to the track in the Pit Lane? The tower power comes from the rails so if there is a bad connection it could well play up.

Don't get the new RichG tower cable mixed up as it is wired differently at the connector. So you have three different cables there, you need to be sure they are round the right way!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Riko

I'll try swapping cables with the old PB-Pro cable, and to be sure I'll pick up a new connector box and use that.

I have had pit track connectivity issues and replaced some sections yesterday, I might also power the Pit-Pro track piece direct from my power taps if you think that would help,

I've also PMd you re the Pit-Pro.

I installed the new Laptower cable you sent after all the issues with the Pit-Pro started so I've kept them seperate and marked.

Thanks

Marty

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
There are two different standards for the RJ11 female-female connector block, you must get one that is wired the same as yours. Check it, it should be pin one to pin one.

Sudden thought, you've just done the power mod, you aren't by any chance turning the voltage down low and then the Pit-Pro plays up?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Riko

I've just swapped out the USB cable and re-routed away from all the others, HDMI, AV, DC and other USB cales. I also wired in a power tap right next to the Pit-Pro track piece and hey-presto Pit-Pro starts woking again, so I'm convinced it's the voltage (or lack of) to the Pit-Pro as you alluded to.

Anyway after a few more pit entries and exits it all stops again DUH!
but the lights are on in Pit-Pro but the car dosn't register and stops just past, so out with the trusty meter and ah ah both ends of the Pit-pro track piece are intermittent O/C.

Next step out with the track both sides of the offending bit and solder in some wire on the tabs below and we are back into Pit-Pro action again and my little shed world is a happier place

Many thanks Riko for the help, I had myself convinced it was a comms problem, but it was a simple intermittent high resistance track connection.

So am I right in saying that if I run the variable PSU to the APB down for the kids Pit-Pro might get a bit iffy? What voltage would be the minnimum?

So my APB jouney is nearly over, I now have to bring the cars database in SSDC V5 back up with all the info, many thanks to GregK for doing the hard work first.

And all this because I got a new Laptop and SSDC V4 is no longer supported and won't work with 64bit Windows 7, I'm so glad I made the move and learnt more "stuff" it's been frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

Thanks to all the forum members help, now to get 23 V8 commodores on the track and do video just like Riko's.

Marty

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Marty @ 23 Jul 2012, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks to all the forum members help, now to get 23 V8 commodores on the track and do video just like Riko's.

Well maybe a more professional, entertaining version?

Glad you got it sorted. The voltage limits I'm not so sure about, its 5V logic but there will be losses from the track to the chip, diode rectifier, voltage regulator. I would dial it down to about 7V and see if it still holds up, if it does then that is your bottom limit. Else wind it up a tad.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hi Marty,

I don't know about minimum voltages but what I can say is that I used to run my track at a minimum of about 9.7 volts below which things stopped working.

Now however, after soldering link wires between every piece of track (a very long & laborious job on a 29m track) and powering each of my 4 tables separatley the connectivity is so good that 7 volts is not a problem.

All I can say is that I think good connectivity is of paramount importance and unless you get it right at the beginning, things deteriorate and you may well want to lift the track and solder later like I did.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Simon

As the track gets on in years (a bit like me) I know it'll need some tender care, I'm contemplating a track re-design so I'll procrastinate until I really have too or I do a re-design.

Your spot on with good conectivity, I have plenty of power taps on the layout which helps but one day, after the pit lane experience and because on my lay out it's hard to reach I'm seriously thinking about solder linking at least that part, for the moment I'm happy everything is working well so I'll enjoy for a while before I do anything else.

Marty

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Since more people are switching to the APB and adding Pit-Pro and the RichG lap tower, would it be possible for someone to provide a link or repost which USB wires are used for what? For example, you mention the old PB-Pro USB cable for use with Pit-Pro. It would be helpful to have a reference sheet to sort all these cables out.

Also, I know that both RichG and RikoRocket produce cables for the APB so if there is a way to distinguish them it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I have over the years produced 5 different cables for the SSD system. They are all based on the FTDI chipset and all need the FTDI VCP Driver. This is separate from the USB cables that I produce for the Carrera & Ninco sytems which are easily identified by their Mini-Din connectors in place of the RJ11 connector. They are as follows.

1) C7030 USB cable. Coded with Red heatshrink.
2) Universal C7030 & Pit-Pro USB cable. Coded with Black Heatshrink.
3) Early C7042 USB cable. Much larger PCB in clear heatshrink. (Aug 2010 - Feb 2011)
4) C7042 USB cable. Black plastic surround on USB end with Yellow heatshrink on the cable. (Mar 2011 - Feb 2012)
5) Later version of 4. Identical except that additional protection diodes included. Red line under lable on plastic surround. (Mar 2012 - Not all are marked...)

Rich

·
Registered
217 Posts
QUOTE (Marty @ 23 Jul 2012, 12:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So am I right in saying that if I run the variable PSU to the APB down for the kids Pit-Pro might get a bit iffy? What voltage would be the minnimum?

So my APB jouney is nearly over, I now have to bring the cars database in SSDC V5 back up with all the info, many thanks to GregK for doing the hard work first.

Marty

You have SSDC v5 so why decrease the voltage? Just set the power limit to a appropriate level. You can also define the power to a specific car and so on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Nanook

Only because it's quick and easy and you can control all the little ones very simply with one knob

Marty

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Twisting one knob to change the voltage up or down is so much easier than lots of complicated settings in SSDC and can be adjusted "on the fly".

Group of competent racers - turn voltage up, too many crashes - turn it down a little - simples!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks, Rich, for the clarification on the cables.
Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts