SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm experimenting with my scalextric track and 7042 powerbase and ssdcv5.

I've played around with the throttle curve settings but to be honest i',m not sure what i'm doing so is there a way of taking a particular car and track and trying to work out the best "initial"settings? The reason I ask Is two fold that I currently have an 11m track but think I can expand to about 17m in the space. When magnet racing I want the extra control in the slow areas of the track?

I tried taking magnets out of one of my cars and it was uncontrollable in that it spun out with slightlest throttle. now I haven't yet had time to follow rules of adding weight BUT I wll presumably need to limit total throttle power as if I understand corrrectly, the mags in the cars provide approximately 200g downforce. So here there is maybe an aspect of limiting total power and changin the throttle curve?

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
First off, magless needs traction. Sand and oil the tires if they're old and hard. That will make the biggest difference. Then you can play with SMALL amounts of weight, usually starting at the back to add traction.

For throttle curves, you want more low end control for magless or fast motors, like a slot.it or F1 car. Always let the cars go full speed, for those long straights, but try to put as much low to mid control as you can.
For magnet and/or stock motors (18k rpm), you can go with a moderate min speed so that you're not wasting trigger motion on just getting the car to move, but you'll still want some control for cornering, and a burst at the end for the straights.

That said, for every car, there's a person who likes it to drive differently. Your best bet is to try some big changes and see how they feel, then narrow things down to the perfect setting as you work at it. It won't be long before you'll be able to go in and tweak the throttle intuitively for almost any car you can hold in your hand and look closely at.

I'm sorry that I can't offer actual settings to try. I haven't used SSDC 5 enough to have those controls memorized, and my track computer is not currently hooked up for me to test with. The manual for SSDC 5 hasn't been updated to include the throttle curve stuff for me to refer to, but I have a feeling someone will be in shortly to offer up some settings to try for various cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mrflippant

Thanks for reply. I couldn't find much explanation in the manual as you say. I will have a play around this afternoon but I think what your saying is that with magless I would move the mid point higher than the preset 25 of 63 but that value may be a good start for magnet racing?

I'm also going to try to use the controller test program to see if that gives me any insights into the current curve.

Thanks.

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
Without SSDC, the curve should be pretty much linear.
I'd have to play with SSDC again to remember if the mid-point should go up or down for magless racing.
Hopefully someone who's been playing with them recently can chime in and offer more help than my measly attempt so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I had a play around on excel at drawing graphs for varying mid points and assuming that the mid travel setting was the amount of change at 1 step either side of mid point and then did polynormal curves to fit and it seems that for me atleast, the mid point movement should be set at it's lowest setting as this will give the flattest mid part to the s curve. This means that after blipping to full for the straights, when I relax the throttle, there is a greater range that I can release it to, to cope with the corners. Then I just need to play around with each car to see where the mid point setting needs to be so that It sits the flat section of the throttle curve in the area I need it to be to be able to control small changes in spped in the corners.

NB when I say flat section of the throttle curve, I mean the area where the increase in power per trigger pull movement is drastically lowered. EG 0-25% trigger pull =say 0-30% power, 25-75% trigger pull = 30-50% power and 75-100% trigger pull =50-100% power.

Without knowing the equation actually used by ssdcv5 I'm just guessing but the theory should be about right as a starting point. IE if a fixed speed pace car needs to be set at 35% power to cope with the corners, then I want the "flat section of the curve to sit at around 35%?

Maybe I'm over simplifying it?, Unfortunately, my knees are playing up at the minute so I cant' get into loft to check it out, hence my time on excel lol.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Your explanation is pretty accurate. The three variables for the throttle are:
1 - the mid point throttle position. i.e. when the throttle is at half of its travel, what speed do you want to have for your car. For F1's this is going to be lower than for a mini. The min speed value is 0 and the max speed value is 63. I limit the range that you can pick for this to the 10-40 range so that you can't end up with an impossible throttle response curve!
2 - the throttle slope. i.e. how much change do you want either side of this mid point? 0.5 is very close to flat and 3 is very close to a linear throttle response. Depending on where the mid point is (high or low) and how flat the mid section is will determine the speed of response at the ends of the curve. Flat mid section also means steep curve ends.
3 - the throttle max. i.e. when the throttle is fully depressed, do you want full speed (63) or slightly less. The range can bring the car speed down to 50, which is 80% of its max potential.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for the quick response. My excel modelling is inaacurate as if I set the mid sensitivity to 3 it creates a graph going past linear so I will tweak my formula so suit what you've said.

my only other question (for the minute) is if I limit the max throttle from 63 does ssdcv5 squash the curve to fit IE so the same throttle curve applies but full trigger pull = 60% say or does it cut the curve off at 60%. Hopefully i've explained that well?

BTW, awesome software, racing against 5 other pace cars in pursuit mode is cracking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts