1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I know how to set up pacer cars on new 6APB
for random lane change and set not to pit
but how do you set them up on ssdc for same spec?
help needed regards ade

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi Ade
i am just about to try this out for myself.I think the best place to start with ssdc v5 is to download the manual and have a good read.

One thing wich has changed a lot is the program is a lot slicker than v4 and most of the driver options and car options are implemented into the leader board by the drop and drag method.

Entering the car screen you will see a box to tick pace car and get to set a minimum lap time for the pace car,thats as far as i have got myself and have had the manual printed off for me and am reading it now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi.

I also have a problem with pace cars in ssdc v5 using PBPro 1.8h, I set the pace cars as per the manual but they just do not move ???? I have tried with and without controller plugged in, changed lap timing up and down, but still the pace cars remain motionless. Another thing is, I have recorded a pace car and that will also not start by itself,,,what am I missing??

thx Mal

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Andy, I'll try that ( a little later), but is it also necessary when planning a race, not free practice?

@ade and stag, how are you getting on?

Mal

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mal
have no probs with cars moving just getting to grips with setting up .
Andrew has told me that you cant stop p/cars from entering pits at mo so for now I had to set
my p/cars to not change lanes hope to get that sorted soon.
V/speed got that sorted now works well.

Hi ade
yes first thing I did was print off manuel couple of days before I downloaded ssdc and still reading it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi stag (just to save any confusion), glad to here you are making progress, I'm still stuck with stationary pace cars I think I've tried every option and combination of settings, stilol no joy. I have even re-installed it. I must be missing something really simple knowing me lol.

Andy, I tried the Run pace on free practice, but as soon as the race starts the button greys out again??

I'll keep trying, I'm sure I'll get there.
thx
Mal

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi again,

I did say knowing me it would be a simple fix, it was!. I, for some bizarre reason got the ID's mixed up, I must have been really tired

Anyway I got pace cars to run, well not exactly, I have only 3 of 5 working, No's 1 and 6 refuse to run, even my pitpro lights will not show 1 or 6, I have triple checked ID,s controllers swapped cars ID's around but still only 1 and 6 do not work. If I push the cars over the PB then they show up correctly on the leader board and in race management.

Because the pitlane delay for pacers is not available yet I will stick with the fab V4 for PBPro. I do understand that V5 is a 'work in progress' so when it is sorted, Andy will have another customer.

Many thx for the help guys

Mal

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Mal, I am going to suggest that if you can get IDs 2-5 running as pace cars, then there is no reason why 1 and 6 would not also run as pace cars.... Perhaps there is something in your PB-Pro config that is preventing the cars from running? Also check that the driver settings for ID's 1 and 6 have the pace car check box set. There is nothing in SSDC that says "prevent ID 1 and 6 from being used as pace cars"

I'm also not sure what you mean by SSDC v5 being work in progress. If you mean that it is being worked on, that has been true for of SSDC for the last 5 years, and will continue to be true for some time. There are features that still need to be added to v5 for sure. I'm sure that you already know SSDC v4 never had settings to stop pacers entering the pits.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 21 Jun 2011, 14:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sure that you already know SSDC v4 never had settings to stop pacers entering the pits.
It is PB-Pro that controls this option and prevents pace cars from changing lanes after x number of seconds. For example, you might have 10s track and it takes you 9s to get to the pit entry - you can set the PB-Pro to stop pace cars from changing lanes after 8s into their lap. I am not sure if this setting is still available in the new APB - maybe somebody else can confirm this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Andy, I really need to pull myself together and get some sleep. Sorry for any confusion caused, ofcourse I know Pit delay is via PB, I got confused with reading too much ie, people talking about APB etc and I saw LC check box for pacers in SSDC5 so where is the delay I thought.....DUH!! Sorry.
I remember your thread on V5 APB and PBPro stating that it was a work in progress I do understand what you meant as you find new ways to improve it all the time, no offence intended at all.

I will check (later tonight after work) 1 and 6 again at the PB, however if I switch to SSDC4 everything works perfect!

thx Mal

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, Well I think I have found the problem. it maybe a comms problem between PC and PBpro. Just to re-iterate SSDC V4 works perfectly on my setup.

When I start SSDC V5.1.1 I have intermittent comms, sometimes I can't start a race or adjust setting ie.If I change the number of laps the PBpro does not make the changes. More often than not nothing happens. When it does work and I start a race with 5 pacers every action ie race start, Trk call, restart there is a response delay (2-3 seconds) for the pacers, my car reacts fine. At the start of the race my pitpro counts down but only gets to 3 and the race starts, again a delay.

Just to add, PBpro is selected, coms ports are correct and accepted by V5, PitLane and type is correct, PBPro SH 1.8H.

I assume V5 needs more PC resources than V4, otherwise I'm lost for ideas.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

thx Mal

PS. I can't keep pace cars out of the pit lane, no matter what PB settings I use... Pitpro lights do not show all cars on track... Looks like V4 is here to stay for me, I think it's great anyway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is it just me or do Pace cars gradually speed up after a few laps.. until they simply fly off the track... or the opposite effect where the pace car gradually slows to a snail crawl. then i adjust the start speed on the fly and the car takes off again.

setup;
start speed (reasonable rate so the pace car won't simply fly off the track at the first corner.)
random speed off
change lane off
I set the track min. speed to either 1 sec. but pace cars seem to be adjusting better if i set a low track speed of 15sec + keeping in mind it only takes about 5 sec to complete a lap.

note; I wonder if setting the fuel tank power reduction to 100% when I record a car... just in case this may affect the pace cars speed after several laps. i have tried but not much change once the trial the pace car, it runs real smooth for 10 laps and then either slowly speeds up or slows down till it gets stuck from going so slow.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
You seem to have specified all the settings apart from target lap time. If you leave target lap time as 0, then SSDC won't adjust the pace car throttle, and over time the car will slow down as it heats up. Set a target lap time, and SSDC will adjust the throttle to maintain a constant speed.
Hope that helps.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i am no expert in setting pace cars for v5.1.1 but i think the min lap time should be set to the actual lap time you you expect the car to lap in.

When i ran ssdc v4.6. I set the minimum or target time to 10 seconds and let the car do a few laps watching what the actual lap time was.If ssdc was adding points to achieve the desired laptime i used to add the matching number of points to the start speed.

It is important to let pace cars do half a dozen or so laps to get warmed up a bit and also make sure the tyres are clean by passing the car over some duct tape.

Using the above method with v4 used to get the cars running very smooth with the cars running to +or- .5 of a second within the set time.

Setting up fixed throttle pace cars using 5.1.1 is something i will be doing over the weekend.

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
I don't think min lap has any effect on things. It's the target lap time that's most important, and should always be something that is EASY for your pace car to achieve without any tailing out at all. Also, it's best to do the speed setting up with dirty tires, or at least not super fresh clean ones, because that is not a consistent lap time, even if your track seems spotlessly clean. The tires will pick up dust that fell during the lap it just finished, and lose traction. This is part of the reason why the pace car needs to be better than the driven car, so you can have it going fast enough to feel like a challenge without pushing it past it's ability to stay on.

Once you see what the car can consistently do for a good lap time without tailing out, set that as the target lap time for that car, and set the speed to the speed at which it was going to get that consistent lap time. Then the pace car should be pretty reliable.

If you go cleaning tires and making the car go as fast as it can without crashing in spectacular fashion, things will start off badly and only get worse.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have set the track min. lap time to 1.

I record a few laps (no brakes)

stop record & and refresh the pace car graph editor & normalize it.

once the car is settled down after a few laps i adjust the Pace Drivers target lap time, until things are smooth.

but still after approx 15 laps the car gradually slows to a crawl.. unless I adjust the start speed once again or the min. lap time. I'll dust the track to see if this helps too....

Maybe it is also worth mentioning that the start speed is set to approx 20% so making tiny variations between 17-23% really changes the speed quite dramatically.
Just wondering, how diverse other drivers start speed adjustment envelope is ? Mine is very narrow .. almost impossible to adjust (I am also aware if you click & drag you have a larger adjustment radius) but still only a few degrees is difficult... would be nice to have a larger range... but hey, it's probably just my weird setup

I was thinking earlier today...mmm yes , how the mind wanders ... how cool it would be to have pace car throttle mappings along a curve with points that designate corners... so if you had a track with 15 turns you simply set throttle percentage for each of the 15 points along the curve. A spline curve with tangent handles on each point along the curve could theoretically allow you to adjust the curve angle for speed entering & exiting the corner ... Cool !!
A bit down the track though i feels .. perhaps SSDC 2013

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok, I think I have a pace car running reasonably smoothly... Target lap time and start speed need to be precisely set... or if not, within a lap or two, the pace car either drops right off in speed or slides out with excessive speed... I can hear the car now belting around the track as I type this .. I can hear any change in speed & so far it sounds fine.

I cleaned the tires up... seems to have stopped some of the drifting around corners as well.
I also tried turning on variable throttle .. but the car simply takes off erratically. Maybe my track is simply too short to have variable throttle turned on. 9m

I've designed a simple Nascar style track, nothing too complicated until i get things under control with SSDC. Mind you, one end is a tight R1 and the other end an R2 so I can get a feel for speeding into different corners.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow.. had my first real race against 2 pace cars.. and they both beat me !! Either I'm a seriously bad driver or once setup correctly... these Pace Cars are frekn fast ..

Thanks heaps for the advice everyone.. Collective advice sure helped iron out the pot holes.

note: If there are any SSD users out there following these posts and considering purchasing SSDC .. simply do it !! the software is pretty darn stable... & what's more you'll have such a blast figuring it all out.. but once you do ... you're in for a hell of a ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts