SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned you could do a digital layout with one LC and a single standard crossover.

I was thinking that strategic placement of crossovers could "mix up" traffic and be used to force drivers to make lane changes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is indeed true.....

One aim I have is to incoporate both LC's and sport crossovers to force lane changes to keep to the fastest line on the circuit.

The intention in my layout - when constructed - would be to have a racing line.... as per real racing.

However - I wont be going for str8 crossovers as I find them to be to restrictive to speed in a str8 line.... just one mans thought

Cools

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a carrera track so am looking forward to the straight LCs. They span two straights which are longer than sport straights to begin with. Reports say they work at full speed but that remains to be seen.

I dont have any carrera crossovers but they are only one striaght so I doubt they can be taken full speed. THey would need to be put after a curve.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was fortunate to be invited round to have a go with Slik's two SCX Digital sets yesterday. Slik combined the two sets to create a decent length Digital track. All I have to say is this made a massive difference to the level of enjoyment gleaned from Digital and it was the first time for me personally to sample what it really has to offer, anyway more on this later.

Regarding SCX style crossover type changeovers, as no doubt many people are aware, the lane changers resemble the old crossovers by Scalextric from yesteryear.

The speed of negotiating conventional crossovers is rather dependent on what type of cars you run, okay an obvious observation but bear with me.

For example, with the SCX Digital set and the cars supplied with the set (German DTM) all the cars could virtually take the crossover at full power with no noticeable loss of speed or traction. This is a very good thing, it minimised the potential disadvantage to either racer as you could still comfortably overtake a racer in front, or drag race to the next bend!

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a crossover cited in the middle of a long straight (unless its Davic or possibly the short chicane style crossovers favoured by Carrera), however with Digital track layout design still in its infancy, even at this early stage with the options of mainstream track systems have to offer, it appears that crossovers are to be situated in braking or acceleration zones to maximise the possible potential of where the cars are more likely to overtake, so this in my eyes, diminishes the issue of crossover type of lane changers causing handicaps for overtaking drivers.

Jamie

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Jamie @ 31 Aug 2004, 00:13)I was fortunate to be invited round to have a go with Slik's two SCX Digital sets yesterday. Slik combined the two sets to create a decent length Digital track. All I have to say is this made a massive difference to the level of enjoyment gleaned from Digital and it was the first time for me personally to sample what it really has to offer, anyway more on this later.

Regarding SCX style crossover type changeovers, as no doubt many people are aware, the lane changers resemble the old crossovers by Scalextric from yesteryear.

The speed of negotiating conventional crossovers is rather dependent on what type of cars you run, okay an obvious observation but bear with me.

For example, with the SCX Digital set and the cars supplied with the set (German DTM) all the cars could virtually take the crossover at full power with no noticeable loss of speed or traction. This is a very good thing, it minimised the potential disadvantage to either racer as you could still comfortably overtake a racer in front, or drag race to the next bend!

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend a crossover cited in the middle of a long straight (unless its Davic or possibly the short chicane style crossovers favoured by Carrera), however with Digital track layout design still in its infancy, even at this early stage with the options of mainstream track systems have to offer, it appears that crossovers are to be situated in braking or acceleration zones to maximise the possible potential of where the cars are more likely to overtake, so this in my eyes, diminishes the issue of crossover type of lane changers causing handicaps for overtaking drivers.

Jamie
Good points all.

It has yet to be proven where LCs should be placed in a layout. I have some ideas but until I can experiment I wont know for sure.

Even with crossovers on short striaghts it doesnt mean it is bad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (CoolScientist @ 30 Aug 2004, 20:52)This is indeed true.....

One aim I have is to incoporate both LC's and sport crossovers to force lane changes to keep to the fastest line on the circuit.

The intention in my layout - when constructed - would be to have a racing line.... as per real racing.

However - I wont be going for str8 crossovers as I find them to be to restrictive to speed in a str8 line.... just one mans thought

Cools

To clarify a small point.... so as no one feels I am in anyway - ruling out straight cross overs...

Scalextric seem to have ruled out straight XO's at this point in time - as Sport track dosent have any, therefor, I dont see there being any straight XO's as LC's.

I would go for a straight LC - if they were longer, like the proposed Carera LC, but on approval (so to speak).

I do feel there is a place for XO's and any system that provides the user (us) with the most options, will gain the most reward.

Personally - I wouldnt chose a straight XO over a corner XO.... LC's - Id have them both

CoolS

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ 31 Aug 2004, 00:13)For example, with the SCX Digital set and the cars supplied with the set (German DTM) all the cars could virtually take the crossover at full power with no noticeable loss of speed or traction.
How did you manage that ? When I am running the SCX Digital cars at 100%, there is no chance to change the line at full speed. At reduced power (60% as written in the instruction manual), it is possible.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi Chris

I forgot about this post, Julian (Slik) designed the circuit with one particular lane changer at the start of a long straight. To overtake on this particular section, we needed to exit the corner as per normal and well, floor it! It worked a few times because you really needed the power to get the run on your opponent further down the straight.

Earlier in the evening, Julian kindly showed me that the cars will take the changeovers at pretty much full tilt (on fast mode) I remember this vividly, only because I kept slowing up until my brain sussed the extra button on the controller!

In hindsight, I am only going by what happened the other night, if there is something in the manual or the system is designed specifically not to allow the cars to run faster than 60% through the changeovers... well blimey, it seems fast enough that's all I can say, the cars rattled through the changeovers comfortably at a fair old pace!

Best regards

Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts