SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing many will have heard they've made a new Starsky and Hutch film. The red and white 1974 Ford Torino is back!

What's the story?
David Starsky is a cop who operates to the letter of the law. Ken Hutchinson isn't. Neither of them are very popular, or good, until they get stuck with each other as partners. They discover a body in the bay and during the investigation they suspect that businessman Reese Feldman is a drug smuggler and linked to the killing. They set out to bring him down.

i'm a bit tooo young to remember the orginal, so i think i'm going to see it! anyone else?

James

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What's the word on the street, James?
Just ask Huggy Bear. I might go and see the film - it's been a while since I went to the flicks. More importantly, I'm looking forward to seeing Scaley's Gran Torino. If it's good enough, then I'll be buying one. If I have to buy the set, then I'll have the black 'vette to drive as well

Damn! I forgot to get the News of the World paper today - they had the free DVD of the original pilot movie!

Mark.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scalex Gran Torino should be good, scalextric seem to have taken a liking to the old American beasts lately. Not that i'm against it!

yeh, they even advertised the free dvd on tv and i forgot! doh!

hhmmmm a scaly set based on a film... could be a classic in the making!

i'll get some ppl together at school, we'll go see it!

James

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My youngest,Sam been to see the movie and reckons that the old S&H appear at the end in a cameo role and so does the original car ina final scene? I don`t know if that`s right as he`s only 16 and daft as a box of light bulbs!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Saw it last night, the 14th. Not my cup of tea. A few funny bits, but mostly embarassing and dreary.
The best part of the movie was over the closing credits. In the movie, driver does a reverse "bootleg" that looked to me like a judicious cut kept us from seeing it go horridly wrong. In the closing they SHOWED the horribly wrong part to that stunt and a few others. In one, car does a "jump" and lands on its nose and gets a permanent 30degree bend from the cockpit forward.
As someone who loves machines, but is very unfond of the trash the government was forcing on us in the 70, I still hated SEEING the thing abused. I assume that they had at least 8 identical Torinos.

Fate

·
Registered
800 Posts
I understand the dislike of seeing a car intentionally trashed. In my mind it would have been worse to make the car a trailer queen though. This is because I firmly believe cars are made to be driven. For this reason I absolutely will not attend a concours event, ever.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I have a mate with a nice honda prelude, very clean, slightly modded, but always thrashes it up motorway, we have both agreed that it can look good, but then it would be no point in having an engine if you wont use it

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
QUOTE What a pulling machine...

Reminds me of an article I saw in a classic biased magazine a year or two ago: they were light-heartedly comparing the steeds of TV cops this side and on the wrong side of the pond.

A looky-likey Starsky Torino was up against some Dagenham nightmare that The Professionals pedalled. From memory I think the upshot was that the white-striped machine really couldn't pull custard, let alone pursue and apprehend felons.

The photos brought it all back though, Captain Dobey, the cardigans, the awful epilogue with amusing freeze frame final shot, the magnetic flashing blue light hoisted on to the lid as the police radio declared, "Zebra three, we have a 2/11 in progress...", cue squealing tyres and towers of cardboard boxes cast asunder to that funky soundtrack.

Ah, off down memory lane...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 15 Mar 2004, 18:26)A looky-likey Starsky Torino was up against some Dagenham nightmare that The Professionals pedalled. From memory I think the upshot was that the white-striped machine really couldn't pull custard, let alone pursue and apprehend felons.
You're just trying to wind me up aren't you Wankel? I take it that your term "Dagenham nightmare" may well be a disparaging remark aimed at our beloved Ford Capri. The Capri was a classic when it rolled off the line in 1969 and it still is. It was totally different then and it's totally different now compared to what's on the road. These days all you see in the UK are front wheel drive, jelly moulded euroboxes (unless you spend serious money on real cars with real engines mounted in proper locations). Bodie & Doyle's chariots (Mk.IIIs) look mean as hell.

Looks like you managed to wind me up after all Wankel!!

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
QUOTE Looks like you managed to wind me up after all Wankel!!

Mission accomplished. Returning to base. Over.

Sorry, Diff. I was just using terms of endearment (I nearly put Dagenham Dustbin, as that was a phrase I recall from my youth).

Didn't know you were a Capri man.

With you on the front-wheel drive jelly moulds, if not the blue oval's finest.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

Hehe. Actually I think all 2.8 injections and up were built in Germany weren't they? So maybe I've got a Cologne Can?

Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ford Crapi? (no, not a typo...)

My mates calls them Ford Ca-trees and account of his brother stacking two of them... hehe

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (lotus03 @ 15 Mar 2004, 22:12)Ford Crapi? (no, not a typo...)

My mates calls them Ford Ca-trees and account of his brother stacking two of them... hehe
That's partly why I like them! Even with only 160 horses they still need a bit of attention, especially if you wish to provoke the beastie. Good old cart springs and Mac struts eh?

I suspect the Gran Torino handles in much the same way, apart from having shed loads of torque

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Diff, the Capri handles like an F1 by comparison! My buddy raced a Capri, and I had a 240Z... mods to both but they were fairly competitive against each other. The Torino? It's a car where corners make you very, very unsure of your future...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
WooHoo! Point taken Fergy. I'll settle for a little Gran
Torino then
However, I'd still like to run a big Yank V8 before I'm 40

240Z another great looking car! Nice one Fergy

Back to the S & H topic:- the black 'vette in the set. It looks the same as the red & blue no.57 release. An L88 isn't it?

Mark.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a couple of 3L capris, and they were good fun, and ever so solid cars
, Never as dangerous as people made out, I dont think I ever lost the back end unintentionally. and never came close side swiping the scenery. I also had a 69 Mk1 GT XLR, and that was one very nice car (and relatively rust free for a 30 year old car) Definetely a Capri fan here, ever since the day I saw a MK2 JPS in black tearing around the town center (very naughty driver)

As for Euro Jelly moulds (was that a quote straight from the CCI magazine?), I drive the ultimate in boring cars, the Diesel mondeo Estate, However I love the diesel engine, its got identical torque figures to the Opel Manta 400 in rally form, more torque than a rover v8, it might be a big tank but being a ford it still handles OK, when you plant your foot it "feels" as if its moving, 0-60 might not be that quick at 10 sec, but it feels so much better
. Also 6 Gears, very very dangerous on the motorway, far too easy to be heading way into illegality. Of course it does all this returning 40mpg
, 50mpg if driven sensibly and only slightly illegally.

David

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
QUOTE I suspect the Gran Torino handles in much the same way, apart from having shed loads of torque

Almost there, Diff. I would suggest -

I suspect the Gran Torino handles in much the same way as a shed

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Touche, Wankel!

Well I have to admit David there are some pretty impressive diesel cars around these days, at least in performance terms. Mondeo estate...Hmm..plenty of room for slot car box in back
Our family car is a Maestro 2 litre Turbo! erm.diesel Turbo that is
The turbo makes it adequate I suppose

Mark.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts