SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys spent the best part of a year now reading and trying to educate myself in this very addictive world.

Now I feel is the time for me to take the plunge to go from a rug racer into a permanent layout, the first task was to find a home for it without upsetting the wife!
Loft......small head room or should i say no head room, way to cramped....no good.
Spare bedroom.......wife falls pregnant with second child......not spare anymore.
Garage....electric already in there.....this could work......
Then it dawned on me, build my own block built shed/summer house/dads room!, in the back garden, i ask the wife to my suprise she says go for it.

So to date this is where I am, old sheds torn down, trench dug ready for the foundations to be laid on Thursday, then the block work will start.....could be some time before ssd gets its home!

Im looking to use the new space as a multi purpose lads room, ps3, football on tv, poker nights and of course scalextric. Due to this I will be looking at using a hoist system to lower the ssd from the ceiling. The room size will be 4.5m x 3.5m, I will be looking at going as big as I can with the track....any suggestions and help warmly welcomed.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi monkyinc,
Firstly thank the wife!

Then get your spade out again
dig another trench from your foundation trench to a suitable location near the house. This is for the power, armoured cable. Get a decent thickness corrugated tubing sit this in your footings to bring your cable into your "Man Cave" if you do this prior to the concrete going in it will make life a whole lot easier later on.

Not sure if you can just see it to the front right of my slab here...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Sounds like you will either use a fold up table or a ceiling mounted hoist table.
Lots of info on both on this forum. Just enter the words in the search box in the URH corner of the main page.
The trick with hoisting is to determine the lifting points and set up the pulleys etc. necessary to do so.
Many garage tracks are either fold away (with "D" shaped legs to roll the table 90 deg. then fold up) or hoisted.
As mentioned, try doing some searches (including my thread below) then come back with more questions!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I am planning on using one of these with the halves turned side by side so it gives me 10'x4.5'

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3358663.htm

the layout can be tilted vertically and rolled out of the way when not in use.

For me there was no point fabricating a mechanism when it is available off the shelf.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the messages :-

bleep - Thanked the wife again, she now looks very worried! Good idea about the armoured cable, get that dreaded spade out again......ouch. Got a sparky mate, so I will get him round to see where he thinks best to bring it to.

Sealevel - Looked through an array of threads on both ways, undecided at the min on what way to go, might incorporate both to make some kind of super track......!

RacingSnake - Very good idea, unfortunately wont work for me as im looking to go bigger than that.

I will post some pics of what ive done so far after thursdays hard days graft, prob very boring but might be nice to see it from start to finish......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rain delays play......horrid day here non stop heavy rain all day!

So been thinking about lay out, my space for a track is 4mx3m,

Im going to go with a fold up table that the track sits on then folds up to the wall. Cant upload what ive done ( anyone know how i upload pics etc)

If anyone else wants a crack at doing a layout feel free......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi there.
Have you thought about a log cabin? Would look much nicer than a blockwork "mancave". They go up really quickly! They can be built on plinths, thus saving money to fund your habit!! I build them all the time, if you need any advice just pm me. I'd be happy to help

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi first thoughts were to do a log cabin, but can do a block build a lot cheaper (get blocks cement etc for a very good price!)
Gonna put cladding on the outsdide to give it a nice finish.

Still waiting to do the foundations, trying to find the time been very busy of late!

Have however had time to throw some potential layout ideas down, let me know what you think.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah its going on a semi permanent table, so maybe it wont work, the top end was gonna be the start finish and pits which i want always up, so no wider than 2ft wide and 4m along the back wall. The rest of the track was going to fold up on 2 seperate tables. Any ideas?????? Im going mad tying to design something on ultimate racer!

I really want as much track as poss in the space I have available 4m x 3m maybe slightly more at a push.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Chip think that sort of layout looks much better, heres my interpretation let me know what you think guys.....

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
Even that would be really hard to marshal.
One of the guys in my club has a track that is, I think, about 6 feet wide. It's against the wall, and even though it's a straight all along it, we still end up with cars stuck off right in the middle up against the wall. It's a MASSIVE hassle to get them back in the slot, even if we just give up and grabber the thing to put on at the beginning or end of that straight again.
Yes, it's great to have a massive track that takes a long time to get around, but not if you can't easily get to the cars that come off in the far reaches.
I also wouldn't want to crawl under a table to get to access holes for the purpose.
Chip's track image there is not too wide to get to cars at the back with a long arm or a short grabber, but it's also very technical which means that cars will have to slow down a lot more often, leading to longer lap times compared to a similar length track with wider turns.

Another option is to go with a U or W (upside down) shape, so that you get more overall length, but have quick access to cars in the back that come off. Drivers would stand on one end, or at least NOT inside the notches, so that no one is obstructing the view of the cars except when a marshal is putting back a crashed car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts