SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started toying around with Scalextric Slot Cars and Track in 1974 when my older brother passed on his 1960s stuff to me. Over the years I had bouts of Slot Car fever reviving those heady days often buying some track, cars and stuff making temporary layouts but now finally I have decided to build a permanent track in my garage!

I constructed a 300cm x 135cm table and got out all my old track and assembled what I think is a pretty challenging track (this going to be an old school analogue project). I am going to run my cars over this for the next couple of months and if it works out okay will landscape it!

Here’s what I have done so far, later in the year if I’m happy I‘ll start beautifying it!

Wood Table Tool Cabinetry Shelf

Automotive design Toy Electrical wiring Engineering Wood

Automotive design Engineering Composite material Urban design Games

Cheers!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice track. Nice cars. Fun ahead. Just please make sure that Fender leaf blower is well secured...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Some nice vintage pieces there "darling",

Good looking track mate, I also love the front fender Fender, as a side note, a mate of mine has an EK boot and rear quarters as a lounge.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I would change things around a bit. for example, Do you need two chicanes, I would get rid of the skid chicane, and replace with a single strait, But I would also bring the Goodwood chicane closer to the driver stations, just because your going to have a few offs there and that will make it easier/quicker to get the cars back onto the track. Otherwise it looks good fun, and fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies and support! As mentioned this layout will be trialled for a few months before final bed in. Martin08 makes a good point about the Goodwood Chicane being a reach so I’ll monitor that during our race nights (The back straight along the wall should be quiet in regards to ‘action’ except at entry and exit which are in easy reach).

The modern Minis are what I race with mates when they are over unless they bring their own cars, they’re durable, hug the track and go like the clappers good for mate nights. I can get down to 5.2 second laps with those on the inside track as it is. My brother and I run old and current cars when we catch up. My modern Ferrari 156 does the inside track as low as 7.9, the modern Cooper Climax in 8.6, also modern Ferrari 250 and Vanwall get down to around 11.5 while the oldest cars we run, my Brothers original GT40 C77s wallow around in times I won’t even mention 😉! Layout is quick thanks to the two long straights Between them is the challenge so far most offs we’ve experienced are at the corner after the Goodwood Chicane and the hairpin.

I have a few old Scalextric buildings and couple of grand stands (one rather flat at the moment) which will find their way onto the track surrounds. Just wondering if I should scratch build a pit lane building or buy something, just want to keep in the 1960s feel.

Anyway I’ll post updates as the track develops, thanks again and cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got out my old buildings and played around experimenting where they could go…
Tire Vehicle Transport hub Motor vehicle Car

Toy Train Transport hub Mode of transport Rolling stock

Urban design Engineering Wood Machine Art

…trouble is most of them are right in the way of getting cars back on track in the centre of the layout as it’s currently placed…thinking if I build the crash barrier all the way around the table instead of using the wall for one along the back straight and since I have room jjust move the table out from the wall on race nights that would help but not ideal…

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great to see somebody who started out the same way I did; I inherited my bro's old set and cars; still have one of the old Jag D-types that he had; going to be trying to recover her to running condition soon. Loving your layout but have you thought about upgrading to the Sport track? I did and don't regret one penny of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, re Sports Track it’s not out of the question!
Anyway a small update, I was thinking tyre walls for the track and stacks of tyres for the pits so I looked up how others were making them and what was available to buy. Well lots of people cutting up foam, chopping up rubber hose and gluing individual tyres together but I decided to try casting some!
First up I made a tyre stack from Plastic pipe…
Wood Rectangle Automotive tire Flooring Line

Then using trusty Pinky Sil I created a mould and knocked out a couple of tyre stacks one of which I slapped some black paint on…
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

They didn’t look too bad along the track but I’d need a lot of them!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Next steps; I suppose if I stand three of my tyre stacks together and make a new mould of all three it would speed up the task as I could cast lengths at once, the other thing is these hard resin tyre stacks are great around the pits but flexible ones would be better for the track sides so I may visit AMC (where I get my casting supplies) to get materials to cast rubbery tyre stacks!
Lots to think about plus some of the commercial ones look pretty good and if my casting doesn’t work out cost effective may go down that path, still this was a cool way to spend some time on this sunny winters day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts