SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Trousers Vehicle

First up will be the brutal Maserati " il mostro", le Mans -57.
Out in deep water this time, I will not be able to take a look at the real thing up the road.

Tire Wheel Vehicle White Motor vehicle

The plan view from car modeller -67 has some serious issues around doors and windows, I do hope the general shape is more correct.
If anybody knows about a better plan please let me know!

If not I 'll try to correct while working...

Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Wood Automotive design Self-propelled artillery

This time I give it a try using lime tree.

Cheers
Carver

Attachments

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
go carver! cant wait to see it progress.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Very brave. Nobody really knows which body is which with the car generally called the Tipo 151.
You could try an e-mail to Steve Hart at Steve Hart Racing. He's had just about all the cars in for repair/rebuild/ recreation at some time or other and even made a brand new chassis for at least one of them AND had to dump the body of the pretty one because it was found to be wrong.
Also, drawings of this car are known to be horribly wrong. I'd go on know wheelbase and wheel/tyre size and make your own drawings from period pics like the one above.

Good luck. Nice to see people actually making stuff properly.

Martin

·
Registered
535 Posts
QUOTE (gordonzz @ 4 Mar 2016, 15:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>go carver! cant wait to see it progress.
Wish it was just to go! Seems like I'm already in trouble before I even got started...

QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 4 Mar 2016, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Google "maserati il mostro amlu"

I did that, the only hit was "starting building some new wooden shells-slot forum"

What is amlu?

QUOTE (ClubSpecial @ 4 Mar 2016, 17:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also, drawings of this car are known to be horribly wrong. I'd go on know wheelbase and wheel/tyre size and make your own drawings from period pics like the one above.

Martin

Yes, a closer look at the drawing shows a wrong roofline and a much to short tail.
I thought this car was generally called maserati 450s coupe.
Guess I have to make my own drawing, I got the wheelbase, should be the same as the open 450s.
I will need that good luck.

Still, there must be a drawing somewhere out there, Profil 24 has made an excellent static 1/24 kit once converted to a slot car here on the forum.

Regards, Carver

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Good luck! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one get done, I'm sure it will look great.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Carver, looking foward to seeing this one develop. Not sure if you know this site but has a link to some photo's which would be much better to work from than those plans here.

PS. and some more period photo's here.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
This car was originally a 450s, (4501) it was rebodied by Zagato to a Frank Costin design for Le Mans. After Le Mans it was stripped and later rebuilt as a shorter wheelbase road car 4512. So pics of the road version may not be very much help.The rebuilt road version is much different to the original.
It is know by several names, 450s Coupe, Costin Maserarti, or Zagato.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks gents.

The more I look at the plan view, the worse it looks!
I'll throw it to the dogs along with the first lump of wood which is much to short as I followed that plan!
All together I've now got 17 fairly good photos of the le Mans car. I will hopefully make something out of that. But not as easy as with a good plan.

The rebuilt road car is like another car to me, does not look half as good as the original....In my eyes.

Cheers
Carver

·
Registered
535 Posts
Summing up what photos I've got.
There are some good pics of the front, and several good ones seen in different angles.
Considered as side views these two (besides the pic in the first post) are the best, especially the second one.
If anybody knows about an even better side view I would wellcome that!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Trousers Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Cheers
Carver

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I wish you luck in your search for useful period shots of the original car and I hope you carry on with your project as I always really enjoy your builds. When you search add Berlinetta, the correct term for the car.

There is a hint of a Lister front end and Aston Zagato rear in the top picture in your post today, not surprising of course as it is all Costin design.

I have a picture of the car almost head on in a Maserati book if that is any use to you.

Good luck with the bodyshell.

David

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Always impressed by your projects. Converting a 1/32 kit is about my limit. Look forward to watching this develop. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for help.

David, if possible I would very much like to see that photo! My library is not what it should be.

Joel, maybe I was too fast counting that road car out, it looks better in red...

The road car is often said to have a shorter wheelbase. Looking at photos I am quite sure it is the other way around, it is extended.
The side windows are much longer than on the le Mans car, they have put in a section to make the coupe more spacy.
Front and tail appear not to have been changed very much. It also make sence to do the road version more comfortable, the interiour of the racer is not really inviting.

So if I don't find a good side view I can use that calender (?) photo, cut it to right window propportion and have a silhouette that is fair enough!

(Sorry to bother you with all this, just thinking out loud.)

And Minus: I am also a kit converter but this is sort of more challenging....

Cheers Carver

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Google 450 Coupe or T151 and you'll get all manner of shapes, including the '64, which looks best and was the one in Steve Hart's workshop that had to have its perfect, but wrong body removed. My son worked for him for 9 years and said they dreaded every time a 151/450 came in as it meant arguments all round about originaity. All we do know is that rebuilt thing is a complete nonsense. The Costin/Zagato 450 coupe has those weird 1/4 light windows in the screen. Use original pictures.
I have an old master of the Costin/Zagato, which is due for refinishing and production by a new customer soon, but there's nothing like making your own and I STILL genuinely wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,
Martin

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (carver @ 5 Mar 2016, 14:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David, if possible I would very much like to see that photo! My library is not what it should be.
Cheers Carver

There aren't that many pictures of the car that ran at Le Mans, I have quite an extensive library and this car rarely appears.

Maserati 450S Berlinetta

Not the greatest picture but I think it helps quite a bit when you're carving.

David

·
Registered
535 Posts
That is a interesting pic. Not much clearence for a -57.
The car retired after only 2hours and 10 minuites, there was not too much time for photographing.

QUOTE (David Lawson @ 5 Mar 2016, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is a hint of a Lister front end
The Lister coupe was one of the cars I considdered, I have a weak spot for streamliners.
What made me settle on the Maser is that strange windscreen devided in four, it gives it a sort of brute bullet-proof character, contrasting the sweaping lines, if anybody understand what I mean....

Think I've got the photos I need, better stop talking and get something done! There will be a result sooner or (more likely) later.

Thanks all for being so helpfull. I'm always surprised by the quick and relevant response here.

Cheers, Carver

P.S. David, I've finally learned to quote! D.S.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A long time favourite of mine Carver. Certainly a challenge to get right. I look forward to seeing the finished job. Best wishes.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts