SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive just started my first attempt at a routed track its only just over 4ft by 2ft (the dining room table we were throwing out lol)
but heres some pictures anyway.

1st i used a hose pipe from the cheap shop cost £4 and a bag of screws

Here it is about an hour later

and then about another half hour later the finished outline/router guide

And heres the first cut not the straightest line in the world but hey its my first go so im quite happy with it, i pushed a car around it and it seems smooth, but i snapped the router bit
so i cant continue until tomorrow when my new bits get here.

I'll post more pics when progress resumes. It's going to be more of a scenery project then a race track because of its size.
im going to practice some scenery making skills on this small track before i attempt anything on a larger scale.

and its thanks to everyone in these forums
that i even have a router and have started this project before i started reading these forums all i had was a plastic scalextric track and a few cars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
what a fantastic way to design a layout - using a hose as the router guide !

And who cares about straight lines anyway

Bugger about the router bit, might be worth while getting another spare ? Are you planning one lane, or extending to two ?

Good luck !

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi thanks for the comments im just planning one lane as i only ever race alone (1 wife 2 children (girls) ). and i want to make the scenery so it looks like a rally course.
the hose idea was because i was worried about joining the slots from straight to corner etc with it being my first go at routing so i wanted a guide to use round the whole track.

and the router bit breaking im not taking any chances this time ive got 8 yup thats right 8 coming in the post

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the wood is mdf.
and i didnt want to be doing fancy things like crossovers etc since ive never used the router before just keeping this one simple for now.
i have big plans in my head for my next project already though lol. my ultimate goal is a hill climb event, that way i can fit in more track but vertical instead of flat as space is a big issue at the moment, until i can convince the wife we need the loft converted, my bargining point is at least that way you get all my scalextric stuff out of the way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
oh and an extra question how much can sport track be bent i was thinking of making my hill climb out of plastic track for now but am unsure about how much i can bend it without the rails getting buggered

anyone got any pictures of a hill climb style track out of plastic track so i could see the elevation that is possible?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
QUOTE (oooooomonkeys @ 18 Apr 2008, 15:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oh and an extra question how much can sport track be bent i was thinking of making my hill climb out of plastic track for now but am unsure about how much i can bend it without the rails getting buggered

anyone got any pictures of a hill climb style track out of plastic track so i could see the elevation that is possible?

You'll see from my track that I have used a series of hairpins climbing up to the castle. It's a fairly gentle climb as it's for racing as well as rally cars but there are some things to watch out for. A severe twist in a corner will lift a wheel and you may lose grip or even deslot. Give your front wheels as much up and down movement as possible. A hump in plastic track is quite sharp and the car can bottom out, losing grip to the rears or contact at the guide. The same can happen if you have a dip in the track. Try to do your rises within the straights and keep the corners as level as possible. By the way, there is no reason why you can't do the hillclimb bit in routed MDF and join it to the plastic track, as I am doing. I hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks where can i find pictures your track, i did think about routed and plastic together, is it easy to join together?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I'm in the process of building it at the moment, but I will be posting pictures right through in my thread. Follow the link in my signature.

I don't see any problem in linking plastic to MDF anymore than linking two sheets of MDF together. Just get the slots the right width and in the right position and add power taps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i managed to get the routing finished today and have found quite a mistake i may have made the hair pin a smidgen to tight im not even sure its possible, but if it is it will probably be the tightest hairpin known to man lol, i had to get out the files and sand paper to even get the car to push round but hey im not routing it again ill just learn for next time. i'll post some pics tomorrow when i hook up the camera.

and for anyone whos interested the hose pipe as a guide worked really well. but i should have put a bit more thought into planning the corners with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
well heres another picture this time its all painted, im just waiting for it to dry, all the bright green sections are going to be grass (flock stuff) and theres holes pretty much all over the place, where the trees are going to slot in. removable for storing against the wall. (butchered christmas tree
)

im also going to cover all the track where the car will travel in clear matt varnish and polish it up on the corners for a bit more drifting.

and i need some small stuff like fences, rocks maybe im looking into it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A big THANK YOU to ALL FORUM USERS

its finished ill post pictures in a minute. and its thanks to everyone here, before i found these forums i had'nt even seen a routed track never mind thought of making one, and it was through reading all the posts and seeing everyone elses track that the process started, i asked a few silly questions in the process but there was always someone there to answer my question.
.now my 1st track is complete thanks for the ideas i now love my hobby more than ever.
Im already thinking what i can do for my second one lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.