SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm semi retired, I needed a small workshop so I can keep making all my wood track related items.
Our garage and carport weren't going to survive another winter....

...so down it came and over the last two months we built a 20x24 garage on the same pad...

My shop takes about 12x12 in one corner...

...and the rest will be filled with my new Targa.

I will be starting next week, hopefully.
It's kinda nice getting a fresh start...I highly recommend retirement to everyone

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Wow, what a great start! I instantly put a 'track topic' on this one to watch your progress. I notice you have only made 79 postings and are member no. 2,200 so I hope you will be more prolific now you have such a beautiful place to build a track and the time to do it. Please keep us posted!

Roll on retirement, Graham.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi
You can see this track is going to be a good one even before you start.
I like the idea of retirment, but there is one other thing you need as well as time, and at the moment i still have to go out 8 hours a day to get it.
I will be watching your progress with much interest.
Regards
Nigel

·
Registered
830 Posts
When I saw the first picture, I was surprised it had survived any winters and I wondered if the brown vehicle was actually holding up the structure!

When I saw the interior pictures and saw that there was no room for a 1:1 car, even thuogh it appeared to be a garage from the outside, it confirmed it

Seriously, what a great facility you have created - enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Hi Luf,

Great to see the master of the copper taped track back, here on SlotForum.
You gave me, and many others, the inspiration to create, in a simple way, a track that drives so much better than the usual plastic stuff.

So, I am very curious about your new Targa Track.
I would also like to have some more time to build, but I have still a few years to go, before retiring.
When retired, building a new track, as you go to do now, is even the best you can do.
I wish you a happy building, and please, show us your progress.

rallyhub

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Congratulations on retirement Luf! I'd like to second rallyhub' comment about the inspiration that you have provided for so many of us with scenic'd tracks. I haven't build a routed track yet, but that day will surely come. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Brad

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Luf, So many here have taken inspiration from your original Targa tracks, and many have built on that inspiration; It will be interesting to see if the cross pollenation will go back to the source now! Any new Idea's or idea's culled from your track building progeny you care to share? perhaps an idea of how the track will be layed out?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a rough layout done today. I'm hoping for a smooth, flowing track...3 lanes and the only squeeze will be through the village (I kept all the buildings). I want decent access to all parts of the track and more space for people.
If I can pull it off, there will be at least 48" of elevation between the village and the highest part of the track. I'll let you know how many pieces of MDF I break

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
48" of elevation change!
YES I am guessing you will total a couple sheets of MDF!

I was working on 10 or 12 inches on my small Targa, but it proved too much so I scaled back to 7 1/4: I therefore can appreciate just how much that is!! Of course your's will be spread out over a MUCH larger area, so that will help!

I am almost as excited to see your track done as I am to see mine done!

Coming here to see the progress on your track will be good for me when progress on mine is slow!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (oldslotracer @ 7 Dec 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I can pull it off, there will be at least 48" of elevation between the village and the highest part of the track. I'll let you know how many pieces of MDF I breakWow! I tried for 36" of elevation on my hillclimb, but only managed about 30". The other issue becomes how well people can see the cars at the top. I'd guess that you would have the village only 12" or 18" off the ground? 18" makes the top at 5'6", which begins to be above the eye level of some people who would race the track.

You can certainly count me among those who have been inspired by your Targa. Watching this recreation of the Targa with great anticipation!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
My valley elevates to about 16" in a tiny space so i don't see a problem for someone of oldslotracer's ability. My viaduct is nearly up to shoulder level too, so long as you can see the side of the cars, you can anticipate the corners coming up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
home track advantage for sure with those elevation levels... i love it!! put a good lock on your doors so buddies can't sneak in at night to gain some extra track time!! lol.
can't wait to see this one done, i'm just clearing out my garage for my 3 lane, we have about the same work area, so watching your progress will give me ideas for sure!!
good stuff!
-joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the help of Kojak the wood eating dog and a friend, we got a good chunk of track done today.
The highest point is the top of the straight at 62", which drops to 32" where it levels off for a corner and then will drop another 20" before entering the Village. Leaving the Village will be 5 or 6 steadily climbing switchbacks (assuming going clockwise)

We'll get more done on Thursday...

·
Dave Capelen
2,801 Posts
Good grief...!

The only photo that puts it properly into perspective is the shot from the top of the hill, looking dowwwwwwwwwn towards the rest of the track, I can almost feel the knot of fearful anticipation in my stomach as my car goes over the top...!

Reminds me a bit of the section just after the start of the Isle of Man TT, where the road drops down the infamous Bray Hill, before aiming for the gap between the grid and the gutter at the bottom right kink and then up the rise towards Ago's leap.

Not that I've ever raced on it myself, just spectated there as it's on my doorstep.

Scary....

Looks like it will be a great track, will keep an eye on this.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Bluddy Hull, that's six months worth of work there! If Brad Korando says 'Slowly but Surely', my track should be 'Slowly, Surely'. and yours must be 'Quickly Shirley'.

Note to Graham: Cut the humour...it's just gone seven in the morning. Simply congratulate the man.

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
What a wondeful area to work in.
This looks to be some project, and that elevation change, wow !
I look forward to watching this new masterpiece develop from scratch

P.S. Why is it anyone on this part of the forum doesn't bat an eyelid at using the garage for creating a slot nirvana, most other people look at you like you have lost your marbles

Oldslotracer goes one step further, creating a slot nirvana that looks like a garage

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.