SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well I have been hard at work getting my basement sorted. I have now built my tables, but they are smaller than I wanted. I have been waiting many years to build a scenic track. After much deliberation I have got my tables in a U ish type shape, having 11 feet at one end and 7 at the other with a span of 8 feet at its widest. I have just got all my boxed track on the shelves under the table. My loose track is stacked on top of the table. I have taken out my sport track and casually laid it out just to see some type of size. My problem is that I have been collecting this stuff for over 20 years and I have far too much, around 700 feet. I always wanted to build the monster 4 laner but at the moment i dont have the space, well I do but its occupied with children. Until they fly the nest I am starting with a small layout. However do I want to cram as much track down as possible. I would like a long track, but I also want room for good scenery. I have taken a few pics of my table, any ideas would be great. Its kinda nice to have a somewhat blank canvass. The majority of my track is classic, but it is in great condition. I do have classic to sport converters too.

Thanks

Barrie

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Nice toy room.

Best suggestion I can come up with would be post the actual dimensions of both room and table(s) and someone will no doubt post some ideas for you. There seem to be more than a few around here with an addiction to track design.

Embs

·
re member
4,019 Posts
My first thought after reading your thread was that as you have heaps of track and are limited by the space available maybe you could consider doing part in another level.
I would keep to two lanes though.

I like to build stuff from a rough idea in my head where others build from finely tuned plans.
As you have plastic track aplenty and the benefit of plastic is changeability...throw down a two laner then tweak, adjust and alter as you see fit.

No?

·
Registered
33 Posts
you could start by storing the display cabinets and contents in my house
that would let you add a few more feet to the table

as said previously unless youve seen a layout youve came across try putting some together and as you have no height rescriction i would build layers 2 or even 3 high use that track up racing through the alps scene

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (munter @ 4 Nov 2011, 10:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As you have plastic track aplenty and the benefit of plastic is changeability...throw down a two laner then tweak, adjust and alter as you see fit.

No?

I agree with this. Take advantage of the inherent benefit of your heaps of plastic track - changeability. If what you've laid out doesn't work, just change it. Simple!

As you want a scenic track, perhaps you could paint the table top green to look like grass. That would help you visualize how the layout will look.

I think I see a stack of R3 curves in your stock of track. Of course, R3 curves are your friend
, as they create nice smooth turns when used by themselves. R3s are also the cornerstone of a four lane layout, as you can use R2s for an inner lane, and R4s for an outer.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Remember your not restricted to 2 dimensions. Hieght is your friend when space is restricted. I always like having track go over itself. Careful planning is essential though as you need to keep good visability. Nothing worse than not being able to see wht you're driving. You can also get good scenery from cliffs / rocks, tunnels etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input fella's.

I'm kinda thinking multi level, but I would like to have some kind of mountain scene with tunnels. I would like to try and avoid the track support option, unless I construct a multi level bridge with suspension cables etc. I'm not sure if you find many of these in the mountains around the world. I have thought about long straight tunnels and installing those tiny cameras and lighting in the tunnel, then hook it up to a monitor, just a thought. I have been playing with the Snaptrack program, not got to grips with the scaley one yet. Here is my first idea, but like most of you said "just get the track out and build" may be the best option.

I think I will keep it to two lanes as four would be too tight. I'm also think of getting one of those digital powerbases that I can just drop in that will give me analogue or digital. Choices, choices.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so it changed a bit. Been playing around with the layout, add a piece here, take a piece out there and i'm kinda liking it so far. The table is a U shape, which I thought would be a better idea as racers can get good access to any derailed cars. However trying to do delicate scenery is going to be a lttle frustrating as you dont realize that 4 feet is quite distance to lean over.

So I decided to take the advice of a few and use height. The track around the edge of the table is going to be raised so it looks like it is on a 3 tier rise. This will work good when having a rock type setting as it will hopefully look like an alpine road. I wanted to get as much track in as possible, but also wanted to look good with scenery and still be pretty fast. I'm unsure about some curves when going under track only half way, I think I have seen some european roads that are cut out of the rock and have concrete supports holding up the road above.

Here is the left hand side of the layout, notice how the under curves cut through the the overpass, gonna be interesting adding scenery here. I could use R1 curves here, but I want to keep the track fast and simple, R1's would be tricky for my kids to negotiate.

Here is the right hand side of the U. Again tried to keep this as fast as possible. See what I mean about the curve cutting under the top straight, going to be interesting making scenery for that.

This next view is the top of the table taken from the side of the U. Some interesting scenery challenges here, but I think when I raise the outside lanes, this should eleviate some of the crossover space issues. I'm kinda looking forward to getting the supports built and the track firmly in place. I'm really surprised at how much the plastic track moves when in use.

I'll keep you posted on the progress

1 - 9 of 9 Posts