SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

and the video link:

The surface of the printed chassis and its parts is quite rough. After working on all parts of the chassis with various files, i could put the parts together. All holes needed to be bored out with drill bits. The front axles are running good in the drilled out holes, not too much play but running free.
Some parts will be modified for the next version, especially the parts holding the front axles are designed a little too weight saving, but later more of this ...
All in all the prototype worked really well. I used Ranch-Design offset front wheels and artin replacement wheels, 8 tooth plastic pinion and 24 tooth aluminium crown.
The sound of the chassis is nice, the chassis is dampening really well the most sound heard is the mesh of the gears.

And now for the interesting part: the laptimes
With the Mabuchi SH030 motor ([email protected]), i ran the chassis alone @14V, it handled awesome, no binding of the moving parts of the steering.
Than i added the Coupe body by simply superglueing it to the sides of the chassis.

It lapped constant laptimes of 10.3 seconds, really competitive. SCX cars are also in this range. If you´re lucky you can get a laptime of just under 10 seconds out of a well tuned SCX Porsche. The MCA can get under 10 seconds constantly.

So the chassis handles well and is really fast, but what about the steering at this speed? To be honest i don´t know. The chassis is way to fast, even in slow corners to see the wheels steering. The steering is working and you can see the wheels pointing in the correct driving direction during a drift in a fast corner, but all in all it´s gimmick that you can´t really see.

I really loved the handling of the car, but after +500 laps i was overdoing it:

Will i build another one?
I don´t know. The cars are too fast too enjoy the look of the steering front wheels.

If anyone wants to try one of these, let me know:
- wheelbase
- front width between tires
- rear width between tires
- tire diameters front/rear

and i will upload the modell to shapeways where you can order it.
If you want to order V2 of the existing one, just let me know as well.
The cost will be app.15 to 20$ for the chassis plus shipping. The chassis will be sold by shapeways, as shipping the units to my adress first will be only expensive.

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is awesome Peter!
I'll wait till Shapeways has them on there website but I would like one or two. I have some Rally car, resin cast bodies that would appreciate a good and light chassis. Good work!
Ted

·
Registered
16 Posts
beautiful and ... ingenious!
I had seen him and .... I remain a question ...
I do not understand how to transmit the movement to the wheels!
I assume is the pick-up ... But do not imagine the game of the levers!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

maybe these 2 images help to understand how the movement is trandered from the guide to the steering components. Important thing - the guide has 2 pins. One for rotating in the chassis, the 2nd for the steering movement.
seen on Joeuf cars (1/43rd) before.

Peter

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
www.shapeways.com/shops/pfuetze

If you let me know the measurements, i can adapt the chassis in minutes to the measurements you need.
- wheel base
- front width without wheels
- rear width without wheels
- body inner width
- diameter of front/rear wheels - only if they are different size.

IMPORTANT:
First let me know what measurements you would like and than order your personal steering chassis after i uploaded it to shapeways.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts