SlotForum banner
201 - 220 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
A little more progress. I added some bushes & trees to the landscaped section. These sections are not glued in place yet, so I can remove them for further detailing. I still need to add more trees & some clusters of spectators. I am trying to place the trees so that tehy do not create view blocks. Any questions?

9Rr1Df2.jpg

eGkexac.jpg

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
My internet has been so slow because of COVID (I'm on satellite & the system is overwhelmed by the extra use) it's been almost impossible to post any pictures. In any case, I was able to do a bit more work on my Le Mans layout. I'm starting to more add straw bales where ever they seem appropriate.

kcSfK0C.jpg

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
This is one of the best scalex track with decoration, ever!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Super nice Track! Wish I had half the patience and ability like you mate, congrats!

Cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I saw a picture from Le mans in the 70's that had people climbing all over, and even sitting on top of a billboard, and I thought that would make for a great scene.

I made the billboard out of styrene, using a simple jig to keep the braces uniform.

1wc0Lth.jpg

Because of the space i wanted to fill, I made a "double" billboard that will get two, separate ads. One will be "LUCAS", the other I'm not sure of yet & have to do more research.

yfEVLZM.jpg

The backside. The area behind these grandstand will get filled with a row of mabe 20 of my cast porta potties. As you can see, fans are already waiting.

KNJ5bkV.jpg

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
A while ago I posted something along the line that "to be realistic you need at least a 4-lane track"...in this case here, what I said does not apply at all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Well, it depends on space. A 4 lane in a gymnasium sized layout would look OK. A 4 lane on a 6' x 12' wouldn't look right. Most of the Le Mans circuit is pretty narrow actually. Like I said in the first post though this actual track plan is nothing like the actual circuit, in a 6' x 12' area, all I would have ended up with was a lumpy oval shape. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Wide World Of Sports is following the action.

ayLJVQG.jpg

Officials making sure everyone follows the rules.

M4EhLa4.jpg

Looking through the trees.

wwVSN8g.jpg

Nuns enjoying the day out. I made their out of construction paper.

BcFxflu.jpg

Helicopter view.
LKNKsuq.jpg

Questions?

·
Registered
883 Posts
The billboards/ advertising hoardings changed fairly regularly for the 24 hours,also sometimes between qualifying and the race.
Looking at the outside of the Dunlop curve there's a plethora of choice, the most symbolic over the years was probably the shell race car. For 1970 it was a new shape, similar to a march 701 without wings, the previous rendition was similar to a lotus 25.
Lucas,Castrol,Elf,Nutsy,Bosch,Klg,Total, Martini,Mobil, Martell, Paris-Rhone, Huiles Renault, the list is endless. One of my favourites is Coca-Cola deseltre le mieux,this was on the inside of the track as you exit Mulsanne corner behind the signalling pits.
The other iconic sign at LM was the large Esso man, situated for many years on the outside of the track near the start/finish line, it moved inside the track in I think 72.
In my opinion the signage is an integral part of the scenery, just as vital as the spectators.
Totally gutted that I will miss my visit to the Sarthe this year, but looking forward to next year even more.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Randy those trees are simply fabulous.

Those nuns though...dang near had an adult beverage come out of my nose! Well done!

Reactions: SplitRim

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Randy those trees are simply fabulous.

Those nuns though...dang near had an adult beverage come out of my nose! Well done!
Thanks. I made the nuns because I needed to use up a few dozen figures that all looked the same. The funny thing is though, guests to the layout like the dumb nuns better than all of the other authentic "Le Mans" detail I added. :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Randy - that is just the way it goes! Sorry to again point that out ;) I have loved watching all of your builds over the years. I have a friend that has a nun being chased by a bear over a bridge on his track...probably why I laughed so hard!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Here is a step by step tutorial on how I made the the trees.

Start with a standard twig, and narrow a bit towards the top. This is about 14" tall. The trick is to find one that is fairly straight.

pUDzahD.jpg

Next I drilled a bunch of 1/16th in holes in it, including the base. The holes in the trunk are for branches, the hole in the bottom is for a piece of wire to stick into the layout foam. You might find that for some branches you will have to ream the holes out a bit to make them bigger. I super glued the wire in place.

jcv5MWs.jpg

Next I added branches using a natural material marketed as "SuperTrees". It is sold by Scenery Express. I used gel super glue to glue the branches in place.

9gBSTxf.jpg

Next I sprayed the whole tree with flat, dark brown spray paint.

xfoT3Rh.jpg

Next I spray painted the foliage parts using flat green. Don't worry if a little gets on the trunk, you can just mist the trunk a bit more w/the brown.

yS5jcem.jpg

Finally, a misted on some spray adhesive & sprinkled on some "leaves". I got the leaves from Scenery Express.

mYjzTPJ.jpg

Placed on the layout.

ov3OhOg.jpg

Looking up at 1/32 scale figure eye level. Any questions?

krpEvaY.jpg

201 - 220 of 259 Posts