Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I posted a while ago asking for any suggestions as to how you would build a car that was part fibreglass and part vac form. In particular I have a few classic fibreglass shells that have the entire cabin section supplied as a clear vacform which needs painting and joining to the fibreglass main body. I am still lost as to how this can be done convincingly.

Other than these challenging dual material cars I am really enjoying working on the fibreglass shells. Currently I am building a ferrari 312, lotus 49 and lotus 38.

Will try to post pictures this week,

Regards
Duane.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Duane,

I've never tried what you are describing but I almost always use a two part epoxy to bond different types of materials, fiberglass included, and it's always worked for me. Give it a try. And please post some photos of current projects.

Jay

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Two part exoxy works fine. I use Lexan false floors in these cars to give an impression of cockpit depth.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I have done several cars like this from Classic. And I am not sure what your question is! How is a clear dome, say on my P3 Ferrari different from a coupe with clear windows? I suspect that you are "overthinking" the problem.

Fate

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I will have a go at posting some pictures to illustrate my problem tonight. In the meantime, here are some test pictures of some recently completed MRRC plastic kits. They are both the BRM 261 that is commonly available on e-bay, the bodies are mounted on the MRRC brass adjustable chassis from pendle. I have mounted scalextric protec motors at 3 quid each from harrods! using 2 part epoxy. The wheels are scalextric porsche GT1s and will be changed for somthing more appropriate sometime in the future.

Regards
Duane.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some pictures of my current projects

Classic shells Ferrari 312
Really enjoying this one its much more of a challenge than my usual plastic kit builds. On receiving the classic shell I set about searching the internet for a 1:1 to copy. I chose this one http://www.imca-slotracing.com/Ferrari312P.htm

The shell comes with engine detail moulded into the rear deck, I could not find a picture of a 1:1 car with expose engine trumpets and so I decided to remove these. I also felt that the rear deck was bulged upwards in a way that spoiled the sleek sweeping line of the rear wings. I removed the entire rear deck between the two rear wings and replaced it with a flat plastic card deck on which I planned to mount a scratch built intake.

I also built up the rear wings with filler to further accentuate this area. However when I first sprayed the car with undercoat the built up wings made the car look heavy and lumpish. I have since sanded these back closer to the original profile.

The second picture shows the primered body with wings i fitted to the front wheel arches as well as the scratch built rear intake. I realise the intake is too big and will take account of this when i build this car again as i am planning to.

A much simpler build has been the ferrari 275 in the pictures below, it will be a while yet before i get to detail the 312.

MRRC Plastic Kit - Grill Detail

Side showing my first attempt at bare metal foil chrome work.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I know what you mean Duane about the vacform roof on some of the Classic shells.

Fitting it to the lower part of the bodyshell isn't the problem but just painting the roof will leave the windscreen areas a bit two dimensional and lacking in the same amount of detail compared to the fibreglass part of the shell.

I guess you want to build the roof up with a very thin layer of something like flat strips of Milliput so that you achieve a slight recessed effect to the various glazed areas.

Is that what you mean?

David

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi David,
I haven't got the first idea where to start with these two part cars. Do you use two part exposy to join the vac form to the main body, Do you then fill around the join and paint afterwards or paint the vac form before joining ? Do you have any pictures of the cars that you have previously built, so i can see what to aim for ?

Regards
Duane.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Duane - I haven't got an example to show you unfortunately (I have usually scratchbuilt a roof section rather than using the vacform) but I would trim the roof section and attach it to the resin shell with two part epoxy and then mask the windscreen shape before painting.

I hope it goes well.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Duane,

The Classic fibreglass shells are hard work! You've done a great job on the Ferrari 312P.

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts