SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Gimbal pickups - probably one of the worst ideas in the history of slot racing! But it got the thing off the ground - both literally and figuratively, so I guess we can forgive them!

When you look back at slot history, it was really the guide/current pickup system that gave everybody the most problem - everything else was already pretty obvious by 1912 or so...

Don

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hiu Don
you might be right there mate
when resarching my book it became evidentthat with rail racing,pickup trouble caused all sorts of problems with folk stopping inrelatively short races to change /adjust pickups
It occurred to me that one of the reasons why no history of 24 hour races was apparrent during the rail racing era was because the pick up systems were just not up to the job
despite your disparaging commnets re the gimbles they were very robust ,and from memory seemd to work ok with the minute amount of amps that those motors sucked .
They also have a half life of abaout 10.000 years ,and it is humbling to think that people are still running cars made in the 1950s with the same pick up they were made with

Cheers tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts