SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed that Stirling Moss was in a wheelchair at goodwood, anyone know why? mac p

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Sir Stirling was the victim of his own impatience. After a surgery designed to fix a back problem, he did not want to wait for healing and went driving cars that are notorious bone shakers. Hence a second operation...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that one too, Basil.
I was anxious at the sight of Sir Moss in his wheelie. Hope he's back behind the wheel at the right time.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I think at the very end of Sundays proceedings, Stirling drove the special that was built during the weekend accompanied by it's designer, a young lad who probably sat there wishing it was Schumi or Jenson. Still, at least the car didn't have any indicators for Sir Stirling to leave on

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Sir Stirling was the victim of his own impatience. After a surgery designed to fix a back problem, he did not want to wait for healing and went driving cars that are notorious bone shakers. Hence a second operation...

As if you would do any different...

McLaren

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE As if you would do any different...

Actually, I probably would have waited a bit longer.
May be 10 minutes. I only have so long left to live.

Indeed Moss drove the contraption that won the "do-it-yourself" racing car contest, but it was fortunately very softly sprung.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I think the children's design competition is great, and ten year old Howmet jr. remembered it as a highlight of last year. Far from wishing Sir Stirling was Jenson, when Howmet jr. saw the winner he asked me if the lad might grow up to be the next Colin Chapman. Brought a tear to an old man's eye, that did. I reckon a lot of the children at Goodwood are more savvy than we might suspect, and family trips to the Revival might be the best hope for the future of motor sport.
Did I say that? Good lord. What an old fart.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
How can anyone wish that they would rather have Schumi or Jensen. Sir Stirling Moss is a living legend.

M

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

If the children of today do not know who Moss, Fangio, Clark, Ascari, Farina, Lang, Rosemeyer and all are.....

IT IS YOUR JOB TO EDUCTATE THEM!!!

Fate

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I agree with you Fate! And the lack of knowledge can extend to very recent times indeed. When I started working on the Matra, my 12 year-old son asked who "would be driving" it, since all my cars have "a driver". I said Jackie Stewart. He looked confused, and then asked if I meant the "guy on TV"! It had never occurred to me that he didn't know that Stewart had been a highly accomplished racer or even a team principle. Needless to say, a brief history lesson ensued.

We 'geezers' tend to take the past for granted, but younger enthusiasts are understandably ignorant. We owe it to them, the hobby, and 1:1 racing to educate them about the past. Events like Goodwood, Monterey, and the 60's F1 proxy just happen to be great vehicles for exactly that.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE I said Jackie Stewart.

Please tell your son about Henri Pescarolo, Johnny Servoz-Gavin, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Piers Courage, Nanni Galli, Howden Ganley, Jack Brabham and all the other MATRA drivers and the "other" MATRAs: the sports cars, which from modest beginnings with a 2-liter BRM V8 engine eventually crushed the opposition at le Mans 3 times, humiliating Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.
Kind regards,

Philippe

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Philippe... give me time!
I got thru Stewart, Beltoise, Pescarolo.... I can only do so much in such little time!
But.... trust me.... the past is now very much a part of his future!

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I know you would...
Again I deeply apologize to all who tried to meet me at Goodwood while I was drowning my sorrows of our truly unfortunate luck with the finest Australian wine in the company of ex-world champs and other luminaries, trading tall stories. Then I heard of the Russian school attack by, as the BBC said, "freedom fighters" (???) and put everything in perspective. Indeed I am a very lucky person.
Kind regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'm with you on that one, Prof Fate!
I eductated Howmet jr. by getting him a pack of 'famous drivers' playing cards a few years ago. Took all the boredom out of those endless games of snap.
I notice George W. used the same tactic in Iraq.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE I notice George W. used the same tactic in Iraq.

And those games have already made it to antique shops in Kalifoh-Niah...
Soon to be highly valuable, eh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts