SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a scenery kick as of late and thought I would share some progress I made with a stone wall and path.

The path is grated cork as prepaired for the hay bales I have been making.

Here are some photos of the wall and path so far:

Thanks for looking, as always any and all comments are more than welcomed.

John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both look really good. Not that ive much experience to comment but the walls maybe a little too clean if that makes sense. A bit of low level blending in with the grass and I think it would be spot on.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Looks like your pit crew are very impressed, they seem to be worshipping the wall.

It does look good, but too tidy. Must be a brand new wall. Some grime in the pointing might help.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your great comments!

Witness, great observation, I'll try some dry brushing to "age" the wall a bit and add some growth to the bottom of the wall. Hopefully this will bring it more to life.

Ember, I think you're correct, the figures do appear to having some sort of "moment" at the wall! As per your and Witness' comments the wall appears too "new".

DB5, you could be right or the wall could be holding the men up after having a few too many!

Thanks again for the wonderful and very helpful posts!

John

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Very clever work!
Now how did you make the wall?
Contrary to what others may say, I think the path is great just the way it is!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I hate to criticise peoples work but what i have noticed time and again on really great scenic circuits members have posted that people spend hours on the scenery only to have the spectators, pit crews, media figures etc with white or flesh coloured bases to their figures.

What i have always done is to paint the base of the figure in the colour of where they are standing. ie. tarmac will be the grey or matt black depending on your layout. For the grass areas i always paint the base in the required colour and then submerge the base in the scatter material (which is loose in a poly bag) where the figure is standing ie; on grass, sand, gravel etc. This hides the base somewhat and your eye just sees the footwear of the figure.

Try it & you will see what i mean. Mike

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sealevel and Yazoo (Mike), thanks very much for your comments!

Sealevel, I will create a tutorial as soon as I have a bit of time showing how the wall is made. Thanks for the kind words and saying you like the path just the way it is!

Yazoo (Mike), thanks for the suggestions regarding how to detail the base of a figure. This is one of the reasons I sculpted my figures without bases even if they have a bit of a challenge to stand at times!

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Instead of painting the bases, I drill a small hole .3 or .5mm in the straightest leg and then insert a pin made from copper wire. This way I can move the people without having to repaint bases and their 'lean' can be varied to suit the surroundings.

My 2c worth.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Belkris, great idea inserting a pin, how long do you make the pin?

Is the pin sharp on the end or blunt?

If you have photos of some figures you have done this to it would be great to see.

Thanks

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts