Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Storing motors close together is probably not great for the magnets. Is there an easily available material to pack them in that will shield the magnets? If you have 10 or 12 or whatever, it would be easier to find and size them up if they were in one drawer or box, not scattered apart.
The anti-static bags that computer parts come in was suggested for a different purpose (reducing motor magnet downforce on a track), but when I tested one between an open-frame motor and a steel tool there was little if any difference in the "pull". Not exactly a test of magnetic seepage but the only thing I could think of.
I've asked a couple of computer and electronics technicans and all they could suggest was lead! I do have some, but it seems too hard and heavy a way to be worthwhile.
Rob J

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Rob,

I am sure you have found this. magnets

Question is does being inside a motor equate to having keepers fitted.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Rob
You have a good point, storing motors close together is probably not great for the magnets.
This is much more of a problem with the iron magnets used in the open frame motors used in vintage slotcars.
Modern magnetic material such as used in just about all modern slot car motors is much less susceptible to this problem.
I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist with modern slot car motors, just that it is small, possibly too small to notice.

Just keeping the motors spaced apart with any non magnetic material will solve the potential problem. An air gap is as effective magnetically as something non magnetic, but some sort of packing would be needed to stop then sticking to one another. Any plastic or cardboard would do nicely.

Anti-static packaging is made to prevent static electricity damaging electronics (many modern integrated circuit "chips" are likely to be damaged by static). Anti-static packaging isn't intended to have any magnetic properties, it could be used to keep the motors apart, but any plastic or cardboard packing that kept the motors the same distance apart would be equally effective.
Similarly lead has virtually no magnetic properties, so it would work as a spacer, but 2mm of cardboard would be just as effective as 2mm of lead.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Mike and 300SLR. I hadn't seen that web page, though the diagram and words rang bells from long ago. One of those plastic containers with little compartments or drawers might be enough, then.
My motors (mostly old) are wrapped in plastic or paper, but I felt there should be a better way.
Rob J

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
This is mystifying. Are you seriously saying that each magnet needs to be in it's own iron 'keeper' ?

What's wrong with letting magnets find their own attraction and storing them stacked together? I've done that for about 10 years and there's been no degradation at all in any of them. It's not like each one is going to degrade the other, is it...

...or is it !!!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Hi Screwneck

I'm not saying modern slot car motors require their own iron 'keeper'. There could be a small loss of magnetic strength if they are stored all stuck together and taken apart many times. There shouldn't be any deterioration if left left stuck together, there could be when taken apart. As I said this is possibly too small to notice, it sounds like your experience is that it is indeed too small to notice.

With iron magnets there is more of a problem. With the old iron magnet open frame motors, the pole pieces and armature acted as keepers, so they retained their magnetic strength quite well as long as you didn't take them apart. If the armature was removed from one of these motors, generally the motor needed to be remagnetised once reassembled.

The magnets in modern can motors are less susceptible to this problem, the armature can be removed and replaced many times without a noticeable loss of magnetism.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
I would argue that you cannot damage any magnet by storing it next to any other magnet so long as they are naturally attracting each other.
Stored like this they will always hold their magnetic fields in correct alignment.
When storing two, or more, magnets together in this way a keeper across the ends will slightly increase this natural effect by confining the magnetic field.
Magnets will only harm each other if stored in a postion where they are repelling the adjacent magnet and thus trying to distort the magnetic field of both.
Over time they will distort the magnetic alingment within each magnet if stored in this way thus reducing their magnetic strength.
Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts