1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is Frankie!

some of you might know my scenery track "Albertona Raceway MK2"

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201905&page=1

There is one item amongst the scenery I would like to make a separate thread because it is an universal thing. I am talking about straw bales. A "must have" on every 60s slottrack scenery. They lay around unobtrusively on the track but are actually very important.

Many scenery builders have their own method of creating scale straw bales. Mine is very simple, fast and cheap. But I think they look quite realistic and also protect the cars on dangerous corners well.

This is how I made them:

the raw material is a mat consisting of coconut fibres and sisal fibres. I found it by chance while visiting a big gardening market center with my wife. She was looking for new plants and I was strolling along, actually a little bit bored, I'm not a gardening fan. This mats are usually wrapped around flower pots in the winter time to insulate the plant from frost. At least here in Mid Europe. I am not sure if they are available in for example Australia.

Rectangle Beige Grass Flooring Plant

First you cut the material into stripes, then cut the stripes to pieces of the right length.

Tableware Wood Kitchen utensil Hand tool Rectangle

Plant Wood Art Table Tree

put together three or four pieces (depending on how thick your bales should be) and brush all four sides with a wire brush. It blends the transitions between the layers. You can trim the straw bale with small scissors to make it perfect.

Put a thread around (or not, they look good without threads, too) and that's it.

One mat ( 60 x 120 cm) is big enough for at least a hundred straw bales. I stuck them to the track by using a glue gun.

Wood Rectangle Line Font Material property

Food Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine Dish

Plant Cuisine Rectangle Pattern Ingredient

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Plant Motor vehicle Grass Public space Wall

Plant Tire Wood Asphalt Road surface

keep on racin'

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look nice, what do you stick the layers together with?
that's the smart thing about this method. You don't need to stick the layers together. It holds together just by brushing with a wire brush. Additional support comes with the threads, if you want.

Frankie

·
Registered
643 Posts
Those are some of the best looking straw bales Ive ever seen. And one of the easiest as you say. Those mats are available in the US at garden supply stores.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He Frankie: Verrätst Du mal wie das Garten Center hieß?
Hi! da muss ich etwas raten, das ist schon Jahre her. Ich hatte die Matte mitgenommen, weil ich dachte, ich könnte sie mal für irgendetwas an der Rennbahn gebrauchen, ohne dabei konkret an Strohballen zu denken. . Es war auf jeden Fall in Münster, ich glaube Gartencenter "Risse". Diese Matten kann man aber auch im Internet bestellen. Einfach mal nach Kokosmatte und Winterschutz googeln.

Gruß, Frank

Hi mates, sorry for the German words above . He asked me about the garden center where I once bought the mat. It was in Münster, Germany. But these mats are also available via internet, I'm sure.

Frank

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Below by contrast, a bale I made recently from a spare piece of Milliput. It's rubbish that doesn't resemble anything I've seen, so please press the 'Dislike' facility.

One more object to add to my growing list of failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They look great! Will they work for HO scale?

Are these flammable?
Hi!

HO scale, I think you'll have to try it yourself and cut them smaller. I guess the fibres are too large for 1:87 scale. I really don't know if they are flammable. I've never tried.

Frankie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Below by contrast, a bale I made recently from a spare piece of Milliput. It's rubbish that doesn't resemble anything I've seen, so please press the 'Dislike' facility.

One more object to add to my growing list of failure.
cheer up and keep on trying, Trisha! Try and error.

Frankie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts