SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Street Camaro has been out since at least yesterday in the shops.

No comments yet - have not had the time to have a closer look on what actually is in the box so far... Will try to do that later tonight though.

//peter

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Scalextric Street Camaro, first impressions.

It is very nice and shiny indeed. The details are good and the finish is of high quality with a reasonable amount of chrome. In the front the grille is nicely done and '3D' with a mesh and an SS badge in the middle. The lights work and the front has no spoiler. The hood seems to be the same as on the racing version - which I do not think is correct as original on the street car. Those Camaros I have seen have not this kind of hood unless they have been 'rebuilt' by their owners. What I mean is that the street version would have a hood that was not as raised in its rear as the racing version. From the side the car has the badges tampo printed and the typical 'trim' as indeed a variant of the fake 'scope' just infront of the rear wheels. The car has 'chrome' doorhandles (painted) and 'proper' chrome windscreen wipers. It has one nice chrome mirror on the drivers side but unfortunately no matching mirror on the passenger side. I know that the mirror was not originally mounted on all Camaros in 1969 but in many states (and countries) a side mirror was required on both sides of the car and therefore was part of standard equipment on a significant number. I assume this omission is due to the model being designed by UK designers and in the UK the regulations were not up to scratch in 1969... A noticable glitch considering it is a US car...

Anyway, the wheels are really great looking being fully in chrome and with a center that to me looks like an imitation of hubcaps. As with the Mustang each of the tyres have double prints and have the right look. The car has the indicators tampoprinted front and rear on its sides nicely framed in 'chrome'. In the rear of the car there is the spoiler and beneath proper 'glass' lights (not working) nicely fitted in 'chrome' frame. The rear SS badge is right in between the rear lights. The rear numberplate is tampoprinted just beneath the rear bumper. Both bumpers are nicely done in chrome. Also the windows are nicely framed with 'chrome fittings'. Inside the car the driver looks ok and the instrument panel is printed where it should be with hight detail. The car is red with two white 'racing' stripes over the front hood and rear boot with the roof of the car plain red. The red colour is ok, maybe slightly 'dull' - it is similar to the red version from the red italian job mini that Scalextric did just recently - but on my mini it is more deep red and 'shiny.

So except for some minor glitches (mirror, hood and no working rear lights - just like on the mustang) I do like the model.

All in all it is a beatiful model and together with the Street Mustang they are nice enough to pass for diecast - at least from a little distance...

//peter

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the review, peter

saw one in a shop yesterday, and was very tempted! The recent Torino, accompanying corvette and now this Camero look to me like some of scalextric's best finishing ever. The mustang's yellow finish somehow looks a bit plasticky to me.

3 things stopped me buying it:
1: bought a lot in the last few weeks already!

2: Not a big fan of the 1:1 car

3: The driver is not only identical plastic figure to that in the street corvette (understandable) - but painted identically too! If you race a few of these street cars, you end up having an army of cloned drivers racing... in fact, they might be that baddy out of matrix, but without the sunglasses

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Peter, the hood should be the same as the race car because the Trans Am series required stock body work. The cowl induction hood was a popular option on these and other Chevrolets of that era. That car (the 1:1) is so popular in the US, that soon you will be able to build an entire, brand new car from replacement parts!?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.