SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Started with Ninco in my attic about 12 months ago, thread here.
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=31943&st=0

Then i added a small section of mdf as a test and to replace some old scaley classic in there.

And just a few weeks ago i decided it was time for the rest of the ninco to go and time to get routing.
I changed the layout a tad to make it flow more and boy does it flow
2.3 seconds faster than the ninco so far.

Had to put in some temp cardboard barriers for now and will be getting on with scenery asap.

I thought i would join the "carved mdf gang" and do some cobbles
they look great but still need to paint them.
Click small thumbnails for full size pictures

As its in the attic its very hard trying to get a full picture to show the layout, i put this together in photoshop just to give you an idea of the layout.

There is still a small section of ninco (dark grey) which will be replaced with mdf soon.

Click small thumbnails for full size pictures

View from th rear of table where driver 2 stands.

Cobblers

Thanks for looking.

Rico.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow nice big track..

How is the corkscrew overpass working out? No deslotting and car retrival troubles? Even if it worked perfect, I'd be more inclined to have a overpass on a straightway.. just because I love watching my cars drift

Also I really like the spilt you did.. I was actualy thinkin of doing something like that.. it'd be fun to see a close race where cars are head to head and spilt up, meet again only to still be head to head! is that how it's working out for ya?

Cheers!
Roger

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
wow what a nice track you've got your self there.
I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with the cobblestones, great work with yours and really nice split sections.

keep us posted of the progress.

Cheers

·
Registered
657 Posts
QUOTE (Roger @ 27 Mar 2009, 19:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow nice big track..

How is the corkscrew overpass working out? No deslotting and car retrival troubles? Even if it worked perfect, I'd be more inclined to have a overpass on a straightway.. just because I love watching my cars drift

Also I really like the spilt you did.. I was actualy thinkin of doing something like that.. it'd be fun to see a close race where cars are head to head and spilt up, meet again only to still be head to head! is that how it's working out for ya?

Cheers!
Roger

When you say the corkscrew underpass do you mean the last existing bit of ninco track ? if so its not been to bad really, thats been there for a year now and its not to often we come off in the tunnel.
just as it comes out of the tunnell the track has an adverse camber so the inner lane looses grip very easily, so when i make this out of mdf i will make sure it is banked and not adverse.

I also had the split in ninco and it has also worked fine, bit different now as both lanes have big borders instead of barriers on the halfway corner.
And yes its working out for me just how you discribed

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Great track and very good pictures. I can totally see the appeal of the MDF's look and what it can do to the flow of the layout. But aren't you just bit afraid that you will get tired of driving always on the same layout?

I know that many go the the permanent layout approach and we see their heroic efforts here while they build their tracks followed by the scenery frenzy. But little info come from their joy of driving the cars, it is just about "I learned a new method of doing owls, here are the pictures of the process, and now I have them on every tree "...weeks later..."Since owls can not survive without field mice I did 200.000 field mice from popsicle holders and foam" and so on...

To be honest that is much more interesting to read and look at than some report on the driving experience but I am curious about the driving life after the permanent layout.

Since you came from a plastic world with a good driving layout and you produced such a driving delicious permanent layout, could you keep us update on how the driving feels as the time passes? and how do you keep it exciting?
Best wishes,

RallyP

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thats the same for all routed people ? i think a good layout will have a lot of life.
Mdf track is wayyyy better than plastic in that it grips miles better and flows so much more, making it a lot more competative and fun.
i found i was tinkering around the ninco with 25k motors, now im using the power, all though it be for a short time, i can use the power-brake effectivly in 5 places on the track now.
only needed brakes in 1 or 2 places on the ninco as i was never really reaching any real speed.

so, im loving it atm

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So true after i made my little routed i havnt used the plastic and even if its a very small track it loads of fun. About grip hehe thats something else i have less grip on my routed but its made that way :) Drifting is da
;-) But a routed is so much better than the plastic ones :) Keep up the good work r3k0

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Rico, you are right, what I said applies to all routed tracks. I agree that a routed track will give a better driving experience. What I would like to know is how you will adapt to the permanent aspect of a routed track. But, I guess this is a question to ask further along.

It is a great track, enjoy!!!

·
Ian
99 Posts
R3ko,
sorry I totally missed this thread
looks like you've been having a lot of fun, Love the track and the work you have put in I'll be following this one, from now on to keep up on the developments you'll have to keep on with the photos.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
LOL...

Let me join the line after Ian and Col by saying that i to missed this one

That is a pretty and big track, i bet it would be a blast to drive on.
Another fine incentive to go routed....one day...one day

Nice coble stones..that was an excellent idea of Joegraphix, and i am sure there will be more that use that technique.
It looks fantastic even without the paint you did a marvelous job of them.
Cant' wait to see more!

I myself have major plans but i am not sure if i will be able to realize them.....Here is my vision of a dreamtrack..
One is a 1:24 scale spaced routed 3 or 4 lane track that will be made scenic in 1:32 scale.
With the flipper you made you gave me an idea, as i want to make my routed track fun for Thingies etc 1:24 and 1:32 and for F1 Rally Raid Le mans Touring JGTC etc,
I could use your technique to make some optional fast and smooth corners for the speed monsters and or switch the flipper and have a more curvy demanding corner.
In the same way i want to be able to switch to an off road raid rally section where you then would have the choice to keep rallying or
do half 'asphalt' and half rally....and within that the Rally section it would be nice to make a small Raid parcour you could also choose to take through a flipper.
Giving numerous of options to race anything in any way..and like you i think magna braid is the only way to go as it gives you or others the option to drive with or without magnet.......as i said before...one day ..one day

Until then my permanent sport track will need to sufice...when i have the borders for it i can copper tape it and reap the benefits of that mod....at the same time i will keep eying these wonderful wood creations.

Cheers,
Jaak

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.