SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some black wheels I've attemped to brush-paint with Revell acrylic. I'm not at all happy with the result, and I want to strip the paint and have another go with a different paint (Tamiya acrylic this time).

Anyone help me with advice as to how to go about getting the wheels back to bare plastic?

Also; any other options for successfully applying the paint? Spraying isn't an option, as there is nowhere I can do it.

TIA
Stuart.

·
Registered
284 Posts
For plastic I always use an acetone free nail polish remover and have never had any problems. I'm sure others will suggest their own favourites.

Try a number of thin coats of paint rather than trying to cover in one go. On figures to avoid paint wearing off I paint a layer of varnish on when coverage is close to what I want then add final layer or two, plus any detailing required.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
You should post this in the 'scratchbuild' thread 'cause that's where all the kit building and painting skills live.

Chrome strips off in household bleach in 10-20 minutes. Test and time any you may have as different finishes vary wildly.

I hate paintbrush acrylic paint for anything. It dries too quickly and you can't get the coverage even. For every good wheel you eventually finish, there'll be 2 you foul up. It's like painting with yesterday's cold porridge. Flip knows how this paint got popular. Enamel model tins (Humbrol, etc.) are miles better and you can get loads of detail and shading going on. And if you make any mistakes a quick wipe with a cotton bud dipped in white spirits and blotted on dry tissue paper sorts it all out.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 11 Dec 2011, 16:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You should post this in the 'scratchbuild' thread 'cause that's where all the kit building and painting skills live. I did wonder if it would have been better put there.

Thank you both for your responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts