SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
The 1st Strombecker slot car go karts I think were made in late 1961 and were black & red. The guide on these had a rear pin . The body itself was shorter on the rear than the 1962 model. They also had a gear on either side of the rear axle, hubcaps, different wheels and tires than the later models. In 1962 the the chrome version was introduced. This version at first had the hubcaps then they dropped them. The chrome go kart body was improved by lengthening the rear of the body next to the rear axle. The 1961 version had a gear on each side of the rear axle the Chrome version did not. The chrome version no longer had the rear pin attached to the guide ,& used new wheels & tires. The early red & black go karts cost 1$ less than the chrome version. I believe the 1st karts were not made in early 1961 but late 1961 and were red & black. Then sometime in 1962 they upgraded the karts to the chrome ones though the earl chrome versions had the early wheels ,hubcaps,and tires. All production of the go karts stopped some time in late 1963. Too bad there was never a go kart set made .
question.gif
This is what I think happened though I could be wrong. All this is based off the cars and material I have. Oh an interesting thing. Notice the MIB set,the 1st page of the instructions shows the earlier version of the chrome go kart with the hubcaps & earlier tires , but when you open up the the instructions there are not hubcaps & you get the later tires . The actual kart itself in the set has the new tires ,wheels,& no hubcaps .
wacko.png

Attachments

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I found a chrome Kart with the old shorter body with the hubcaps,old wheels and tires. Its located in the LASCM. Didn't want to use the photo without permission. So It seems the earlier version also came in Chrome. Wondering if it also has the earlier guide with a pin in the back ?

·
Premium Member
5,196 Posts
Someone switched boxes at one time, likely a retailer, by mistake.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Due to the different location of the pick-up, the kart boxes have a second slot for the pick-up to fit in. In mine, this second slot looks to be hand made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts