SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our club has voted in a CanAm class for our 2012/13 season, for cars competing in the series from 1966/74. As I am lucky enough to have a few of the original Strombecker shells, I decided to start with the McKee MK10........not the prettiest car ever built,.... nor,... the most successful, but after seeing "Frank Capua" (Paul Newman) drive it in the 60's movie Winning, I have always had a soft spot for it.

Strombecker successfully managed to make their model equally as ugly as the original, added to that it is long and very narrow.....just the ticket for a killer car!!

The body is largely stock, although I did make a few bits (mirrors, rollbar, aluminum intakes, exhausts, and, trans. cover), and it sits on a modified AMT chassis...(The AMT brass chassis is in my opinion the best non scratchbuilt brass chassis of its time), and initial runs have shown the car to be very competitive.

Cheers
Chris Walker

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
I always look forward to seeing your work Chris and this certainly hasn't disappointed, your work is so crisp and neat well done!

Pete

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
Very nice, usual superb Strombecker body, they really did some nice stuff (and some awful stuff!)

Here's one I did a few years ago,

This is the version I would like to do but have never been able to find out what colour it was!

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Bill
rather annoyingly phils ,was 1/32 scale ,just had 1/24 th level of detail on it !

See you sunday
Cheers tony

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
Yes they are 1/32.
Quite an easy car to come by Bill, you can pick the plastic chassis ones up for very little.
But both Chris and me have added a lot of extra detail, although the Strombecker body is, as I said, very good to start with just a little plain.

Here's a pic of the stock body

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phil, I am also interested in doing a "Hodges LSR", as I still have a few more of these shells...........I have done a fair bit of searching, but, can only find black/white pics.,...........silver ?, light met. blue ???......I will keep looking.

The attached pic. was also taken at Laguna in 71, but shows the car running sans airbox.

Chris Walker

·
Registered
177 Posts
I started to do one a couple of years ago, still have to finish it and may go for a complete repaint. Underneath is a Revell McLaren chassis which meant I could use a full length driver figure. The only drawback with the Revell chassis was the wheelbase was a tad too short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts