SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This "Bugatti" Strombecker set came up on French ebay a few years ago, and I thought about putting in an opening 50 euro bid because that was an odd shade Ferrari GTO... well it's now at €450+ - what happened?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142064428636?euid=...p;sojTags=bu=bu

It's made in USA, but with a sticker giving details in French. Looks like initial legitimate bidding, then a 0 feedback bidder puts in a huge bid... very odd, but is this legitimately a rare set.

Besides the odd blue shade, I also asked the seller about the wheels, which I've never seen on these types of Strombecker cars and he said they seem to be metal, not plastic - which I had thought, except they also look force fit, not threaded.

Any ideas?

José?

Don

·
Administrator
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owen, never even considered bidding more than €50 on this way... not a big fan of color variations, but the blue really struck me! (like the white Cheetah I picked up for a reasonable price a few months ago...).

Strombecker - €400?? Does not compute...

Don

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
If you have a zero feedback bidder putting in an unreasonably high bid like that, then I would take step back and wait for it to be relisted.

·
Administrator
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, or the seller will then contact the second bidder with a second chance offer, saying the top bidder backed out, etc.

That's happened to me a couple of times, altho seems to be less in recent years.

Don

·
Registered
Cars I like
2,543 Posts
The bidding looks weird it shows the same bidder hiking the price up but no other people bidding against them. I would walk away from it unless is reasonable money. Something not right, why knock price from 95 to over 300?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Looking at the bidding history, the bidder with 0 feedback placed their bid prior to being bid up by bidders with multiple feedback, the bidder with 0 feedback has made only the 1 bid but has gone in very high, maybe inexperience showing, maybe dodgy. I agree we'll be seeing a re-listing due to non-payment. Jason

·
Registered
795 Posts
Regarding the set, to me is a late (after 1970) French set. It seems that by then the French factory produced several cars in strange colors, in particular these light blue GTOs. Here are pictures of two lots that were sold on Epay one or two years ago

The metal rims are of Spanish origin. At some point by 1969 or so, these machined aluminium push-fit rims replaced the usual chromed wire rims on all Paya cars. A smaller version was also produced for the Porsche, Lotus and BRM. The reasons of the replacement are not clear to me. Either there was some problem with the original moulds (which I was told were being used by Paya), or Paya never had the moulds, they were just buying the rims to the French factory and at some time they decided to produce the rims by themselves.

In any case, it seems that some lot of these wheels reached the French factory (maybe at the end of the Spanish production), as there are many late French cars equipped with them. In fact, these rims weren't the only stuff shared by the French and Spanish factories: these decal sheets

have both the Paya logos (above the Porsche badges) and the French factory Alpine logos (above the Ferrari badges). They came in the boxes of some French cars (Cobra, Porsche 904) and all the Spanish cars were equipped with decals taken from them.

Regarding the prices, the second lot shown above reached some 250 € if I remember well, which taking in account the poor condition of he cars, it seems to me even more expensive than the present auction.

Cheers,
Eduardo

·
Administrator
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great info Eduardo, thanks!

Yes, I remember that earlier lot, and in fact I wonder if it wasn't José who bought it... and explained why he did so on one of the French forums, where people wondered about the price...

I thought I had seen Made in USA somewhere on the box, with the French language sticker put on the box... but guess I'll go back and check that!

Don

·
Registered
795 Posts
The buyer of thet lot was a Spanish collector, but not Jose. He met me at a swampeet here to show me a couple of restored cars; he was very proud and happy with the price paid. In fact, after a well stablished tradition, Scalextric collectors in Spain usually collect all colors (and often the different shades) of the cars, which results in some rare colors and shades (white BRM, blue swivel guide Cooper, light red Ferrari 330 and Ford GT, for instance) becoming very expensive. The same idea seems being applied to Strombecker by now! Not my idea of collecting -I'm more interested in chassis- but everybody enjoys the hobby his own way, of course.

Eduardo

·
Administrator
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you click on the O bids you can see, cancelled, no other explanation given.

There were three bids: 85 - 456 - 889

Something rotten in the kingdom of Denmark, said Shakespeare, a well-known slot racer and collector...

Don

·
Registered
795 Posts
Besides being a slot racer and collector, Shakespeare was a wise man! By the way, I didn't saw the last bid for 889, 456 seemed crazy enough to me (just an opinion, no aim of upsetting anybody), hence 889... Can't imagine how much has been offered to the seller if this has been the case.

Eduardo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.