SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

looks like a great Forum with some knowledge gathered SO, I have a question, as im stuck on setting up a 124 track carrera digital.

I have the space available as shown on the picture, in cm's

I have a few banked curves, a large and 2 medium, and have seen in another thread that im not the only one having issues getting them to fit in.

Question is, if I buy software to make a track layout, can I like put those measurements in and ill have a virtual area of same size to experiment on?

ive set it up 3 times now, great tracks, used up space pretty good BUT every time I was like half a track off when trying to close the circle😂

Will apreciate any tips and or suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well you have plenty of space there for an interesting layout, bear in mind if you go for an L shape you (and any other drivers) will need to stand well back to get a good view of the complete circuit. So will need to run about a bit more to correct deslotted cars unless you are clever with marshalling position(s).

There are several track designer options that are quite cheap and people say good things about some of them, though personally I have only ever used softy Bahnplaner (German language but easy enough to use without knowing German) which is free to use online plus you can save and share your layout designs. softyroyal.de

Have fun designing, I really enjoy trying to design different layouts. What kind of layout do you have in mind? A nice flowing circuit, or a tight and challenging one? Do you want to incorporate pitlane etc, or scenery?

If you give us an idea of what kind of track pieces you have then maybe we can help you have a go at your design or offer our thoughts?

Have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like this? The blue is a 3/30 banked curve just for reference. The top are standard 1/60 curves
attachicon.gif
Capture.JPG
Yes

the best way is by software as all you are doing without it is trial and error .
Thats where im at now, but im afraid itll be weeks before ive learned how to use it and my son and I, and some of the neighbours, are pretty keen on Racing now🤣

Well you have plenty of space there for an interesting layout, bear in mind if you go for an L shape you (and any other drivers) will need to stand well back to get a good view of the complete circuit. So will need to run about a bit more to correct deslotted cars unless you are clever with marshalling position(s).

There are several track designer options that are quite cheap and people say good things about some of them, though personally I have only ever used softy Bahnplaner (German language but easy enough to use without knowing German) which is free to use online plus you can save and share your layout designs. softyroyal.de

Have fun designing, I really enjoy trying to design different layouts. What kind of layout do you have in mind? A nice flowing circuit, or a tight and challenging one? Do you want to incorporate pitlane etc, or scenery?

If you give us an idea of what kind of track pieces you have then maybe we can help you have a go at your design or offer our thoughts?

Have fun.
Well id be very apreciative of any suggestions.

what I tried to achieve was one leg of long straights for speed and a lot of twisty bends and turns on the other.

heres a few pics of my latest failed attempt😂

the part with grass was ment to be the countryside=part and the ones painted greyj thought as city, garage, start/finish

I have a pitstop

straight crossing and outside-in right to left

2 forced crossings

6 1/30 bends

and a LOT of standard straights and bends.

and oc I have a lot of pillars so one or two flyovers would be nice too.

Do you think it'll be enough with one powerextension on a track of this size?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why dont you try to connect what parts you can ,dont try to use ALL the pieces you have ,start with something simply .and then you can see what you have and then you might be able to add a few pieces later when it starts to take shape
Yes, that and buying software was more or less the conclusion, until i found this place last night

and i did have a lot of surplus tracks but yeah i was trying to use as many as possible☺

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
The key thing when you design a track is to concentrate on the flow and not on how many meters of track you can squeeze in the space you have.

The other important aspect is to design corners with variable radii - if space allows there should be no two corners with the same radii - so that you have a more interesting lap: each corner has its own unique characteristic.

I have to say that I use trackpower to design my tracks....but it is also fun when you go free hand.

Given that you have already the track on the table. see what works and what not and twick as you go.

For instance, if you guys are using fuel simulation then you will need a longer pitlane.

have fun.

Reactions: Jesper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The key thing when you design a track is to concentrate on the flow and not on how many meters of track you can squeeze in the space you have.

The other important aspect is to design corners with variable radii - if space allows there should be no two corners with the same radii - so that you have a more interesting lap: each corner has its own unique characteristic.

I have to say that I use trackpower to design my tracks....but it is also fun when you go free hand.

Given that you have already the track on the table. see what works and what not and twick as you go.

For instance, if you guys are using fuel simulation then you will need a longer pitlane.

have fun.
thanks for your thoughts.

in reverse order, yes ive seen longer pitlanes mentionned before, note taken.

I've dlded free version of carreras software and another,.. i'll probably go and make a simple track tomorrow, as recommended.

About corners yes that makes sense, and going both left and right which should be possible to set up at the space i have available.

i really would like to use the curved banks so ill try to start out with just the large one at the end of a 4.5 meter straight

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Did you give softyroyal.de a go? I found it very easy, all I needed was to translate "save" and "cancel" and the rest was self explanatory. I have designed lots of layouts with it, it is very easy.

I hate suggesting going elsewhere, but in this case, if you wanted to try the german "freeslotter" forum, there are lots of layouts there for Carrera, but a problem is that most of them are designed with R4 pieces which I don't think you have. If you had the patience to use translation software, there are some members there who will happily design a layout for you if you give them the size constraints plus a listing of the track pieces that you have.

I would have a go at it myself but I am busy for the next day or two.

Good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When using the banked curves, remember that you can use one or two or even 3 pieces at a time to make a curve, you don't necessarily need to use the entire set at one location. It really adds to the complexity of the course and with your odd footprint might add some needed bends.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Spent about 10-15 minutes on this one... Any thoughts? Did I get it right that you have some R3 available? There are four R2's in there, not sure if you actually have them? There are also two 1/4 straights. The rest are standard curves and straights. Should be able to reach the pitlane if you put it in the straight between the two loopy bits.

Click on the link to softyroyal if you want to have a try at modifying it. http://www.softyroyal.de/?t=9f7a5753

It really is just an idea and you could go anywhere you want from there. Image below.

Loopy-L.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent about 10-15 minutes on this one... Any thoughts? Did I get it right that you have some R3 available? There are four R2's in there, not sure if you actually have them? There are also two 1/4 straights. The rest are standard curves and straights. Should be able to reach the pitlane if you put it in the straight between the two loopy bits.

Click on the link to softyroyal if you want to have a try at modifying it. http://www.softyroyal.de/?t=9f7a5753

It really is just an idea and you could go anywhere you want from there. Image below.

Loopy-L.png
thanks m8, looks pretty much like our latest try.

i've learned something over the past few days.

one thing is that i ned r4's and the other is 1/4 straights

i have ordered the 1/4 as we need just one to connect our current layout.

and i hit "gold" last night when ordering.

a webshop, looking like some boutique for women, has got carrera stuff cars trackparts, allmost everything and i dont think they know what they are selling as the cars are halv price!

so i ordered a few cars aswell

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
the best way is by software as all you are doing without it is trial and error .
Plenty of great advise here which I fully agree with, however I must admit I have only ever used the "trial & error" method and the 3F's principle; 1. Fiddled, 2. Fixed and 3. Forced (when needed, hot glue, nails, drill & screws if pushed
biggrin.png
), followed by the 3 D's, 1. Drive, 2. Drive and 3. Drive
innocent.gif

It is not an efficient process and I wish I had the patience for software and planning but I have done the Build and drive, then tweak and drive, then rebuild (if needed) and drive, in the end the key for me was to drive, OH! and buy those extra track pieces and have spare bits on hand for when you may want to change it up a bit, after about 15 years you get a feel for it
biggrin.png

I would love to go 1/24 digital and one day that will be my routed dream which will force me to plan
help.gif
, good luck and enjoy
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I grew up with the trial and error method but I enjoy using software now. I have also coaxed gaps of a couple of inches closed by careful manipulation of the layout as a whole to make it meet up. Whatever makes it work. Though it is much easier if it is close to start with and having some 1/4 straights on hand is a great thing to have.

·
Jim Moyes
5,236 Posts
and I hit "gold" last night when ordering.

a webshop, looking like some boutique for women, has got carrera stuff cars trackparts, allmost everything and I dont think they know what they are selling as the cars are halv price!

so I ordered a few cars aswell
Google them before you part with any money. There was a spate of similar retailers a year or two ago that had no such thing, my other half found a high end sewing machine for half price online. As they say - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Reactions: Slotspeed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Google them before you part with any money. There was a spate of similar retailers a year or two ago that had no such thing, my other half found a high end sewing machine for half price online. As they say - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
It's a danish webshop, with a real shop aswell just in the other end of Denmark from where I live.

I ordered a few chips from them a month ago and they came in fine, 4 pcs at the price of two, so now I saw they had cars in stock which they did'nt at that time, at a measly 288Dkr, so oc I bought one of each as normal price over here is 550 and up

the really wierd part is that they have evolution cars aswell...and they cost 550
Same with driversdisplay, normal here i 400 and up

this shop sells them, when in stock, at just 220

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plenty of great advise here which I fully agree with, however I must admit I have only ever used the "trial & error" method and the 3F's principle; 1. Fiddled, 2. Fixed and 3. Forced (when needed, hot glue, nails, drill & screws if pushed
biggrin.png
), followed by the 3 D's, 1. Drive, 2. Drive and 3. Drive
innocent.gif

It is not an efficient process and I wish I had the patience for software and planning but I have done the Build and drive, then tweak and drive, then rebuild (if needed) and drive, in the end the key for me was to drive, OH! and buy those extra track pieces and have spare bits on hand for when you may want to change it up a bit, after about 15 years you get a feel for it
biggrin.png

I would love to go 1/24 digital and one day that will be my routed dream which will force me to plan
help.gif
, good luck and enjoy
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for you input

All I ever did before was trial and error, but that was with tyco and worked fine as I have more parts than most normal Human beings

this digital I share with my son age 10, and for the past year n a half we've bought like 8 evolution sets as they are a regular xmas present over here and after a few months they are sold for like 20$

so this is getting big and when wanting to go BIG this is where we end up, nemesis my son said a few nights ago when I told him the problem was that we where being too "greedy"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.