Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Having checked all the threads as best I can I find lots of conversations about 2.5mm plugs and sockets and mono vs. stereo and all that BUT nobody mentions the type of cable used to connect the plugs and sockets.

I have a portable layout in the making and I need to place throttle sockets at distances between 1.2m and 3m from the APB so I can arrange 6 racers along the front edge of my layout for maximum visibility for everyone.

I have suitable 2.5mm plugs that actually fit the APB without the need for a Dremel. I have 2.5mm sockets to position on flexible hose by each driver station (the flexible hose allows for a straight pull out if the driver wanders too far and avoids damaging the plug). The 2.5mm plugs are pre-wired with what looks like 0.5mm multi-stranded copper.

My question - is this wire man enough for the controller? It looks similar if not slightly thicker than the wire inside the controller but I am worried about any potential effect of attenuation over distance.

Thank you

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I don't think the wire is too much of an issue when using digital gear. Essentially, the PB only needs to be able to sense what the total value of the controller's resistance is to decipher what button(s) you are pressing. It's not like analogue where the controller is attenuating the power as it passes through.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that was the case - I was thinking no way could you put 15v and 5 amps through those wires without melting them and frying the chip!

I was more concerned about signal attenuation - I know the APB picks up resistance values from the throttles and issued commands based on those values - I don't know enough about electrics to say whether 2m of thin wire would adversely affect resistance values - my logic tells me the thicker the wire the more chance of full power getting through and resistance being unaffected but my logic could be flawed by my relative electrical ignorance!

I guess it's a case of wire it up and see what happens. If the longer wires behave differently from the shorter ones I guess I would have to make all wires equal length and route the short ones around and about to use up the extra length.

·
Rich Dumas
3,530 Posts
How much voltage drop you will get will depend on the amount of current going through the wire. In this case the current is very low, so you don't have to worry about using thin wire. It is possible that you could pick up some sort of interference with a long run of wire. If you have a problem with regular wire you could use shielded microphone cable and ground the shield.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes - but they are not long enough - four of my driver positions are within 2m of the APB but the other two are about 3m away and I don't fancy daisy chaining them - I would rather an uninterrupted cable to reduce the number of joints.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Simon - yes I should have asked - Doh!

Re the Transits you're welcome - did you like the Brucie Bonus decals?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Thanks for the instructions Mr. M

You don't need to worry about resistance for C7042 or PB-Pro as the throttle calibration routine will sort things out.

4PB or old C7030 would be susceptible and then obviously the bigger wire the better.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Riko.

I have a 7042 running SSDC using one of your cables

Which reminds me - I need to order Pit-Pro - expect a PM!!!

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 31 Oct 2011, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have suitable 2.5mm plugs that actually fit the APB without the need for a Dremel.
Where did you find them?

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hi Robb

Found them on that famous auction site.

Here's a link (not sure how long it will work for so if it's not there simply search the site for "2.5mm mono jack plug to bare wire ends")
2.5mm jack
99p each + postage

If you need the sockets search the site for "2.5mm Mono Jack Socket Panel Mounting"
2.5mm socket
£1.10 each + postage

·
Robb
581 Posts
Great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 1 Nov 2011, 14:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you need the sockets search the site for "2.5mm Mono Jack Socket Panel Mounting"
2.5mm socket
£1.10 each + postage

£1.10 for 2 so even cheaper!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (ss67 @ 1 Nov 2011, 01:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

You should have asked. I used these cables.

So can one use EITHER stereo or mono plugs with both the PB-Pro and APB?
I was not sure if both the controller jack and the PB socket would accept stereo connections.
The stereo connectors are much more plentiful on "that auction site".

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 1 Nov 2011, 06:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Robb

Found them on that famous auction site.

Here's a link (not sure how long it will work for so if it's not there simply search the site for "2.5mm mono jack plug to bare wire ends")
2.5mm jack
99p each + postage

I asked the vendor for a shipping quote to Canada and was told it would be GBP 7.50 by airmail. Too pricey, I would say for N. American use.

So if the stereo ones would work, that might be the better route.
If not would someone advise why?

Cheers!

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SS67 uses the stereo cables and his setup is a commercial hire track so I would have thought it would be OK.

My only concern would be the surface area of the connection - obviously the stereo jack carries 3 connections instead of 2 on the same length of stem so more chance of a bad connection once the parts get older but it's pretty marginal.

Don't worry about shorting. Stereo headphones work on a mono output so there is no issue.

I would try stereo cables - I only bought mono because they were available.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks Mr. Modifier.
That clarifies things.

Does anyone know the length of the jack to properly fit the PB socket?
I don't have my controllers available to measure them.

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 1 Nov 2011, 06:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you need the sockets search the site for "2.5mm Mono Jack Socket Panel Mounting"

Mr. Modifier...
Would you share what the max thickness would be for these mono jack sockets?

I am thinking of making plug in points using something like hardboard/pegboard material or thin plywood, but need a socket which would have a thread that will still mount on this thicker than metal material.

So my question is... what would be the max thickness would your sockets would work and still "thread" on the backside?

I appreciate your assistance on this.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts