SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
My new contraption is this HSRR McLaren M8D. I love the way this car looks, except that it sits a bit high on its rear wheels. I already modified one with a TSRF guide for my Carrera track and it greatly helped its handling as it had a tendency to under-steer (nose gets off the slot first).

I wanted to keep all the detailing, and this is as far as I got, and it was not an easy conversion.

First I cut the steel pan from a TSRF chassis to match the sides and front of the body. Then I drilled the chassis and pan and fitted a body-mounting bolt and 2 nuts tied up "loose" so that the two parts may rattle and flex individually. This way, I did not use the "T" spacer as on a standard TSRF chassis.

Then I trimmed the entire floor out of the car, drilled the intake stacks from the cockpit and glued them with Pro-Weld directly to the body. I also glued the body sides to the top part. Next I trimmed the motor box and retained the Hewland LG500 tranny and exhaust details. A bit needs to be trimmed to clear the spur gear. I also retained part of the front pan under the nose. I used 2-56 brass inserts in the 4 mounting holes. These can be sourced from the MacMasters catalogue.

Next I drilled the four mounting holes on the chassis pan, and chamfered them underneath to use flat-head TSRF 2-56 body-mounting screws.

The details are now sitting a bit higher in the body as they should. The mounting post was shortened by 1/16".

One can see here that the body now sits much lower than on the HSSR replica, like by a full 3/16". The car has a stance much closer to that of the real car under racing conditions.

The cockpit requires minimum trimming to fit, and Dennis's left foot had to be amputated to clear the hardware retaining the chassis.

It is easy to see how much lower the car sits.

Next, I am going to fit TSRF alloy wheels and those nice McLaren inserts fitted on the HSSR replica... On the track, the modified car is incredibly smooth and very fast, placing the HSSR replica in the "under 2-liter" category!

This is not an easy conversion and requires patience and prudence in cutting and chopping the body. So if you wish to attempt this, please take your time!
The result was well worth my time.
Regards,

Dok Pea

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
That looks so much better. Very impressive piece of modification. The thought occured, did you make a resin copy? or did you go straight in with the original body. If you did you are a sight braver than I!
Alfetta

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alf,
I don't have that much bravery any more, I used it all. So I am being very careful to chop it bit by bit as I find out what needs to be removed. Good tools are absolutely necessary. A Dremel mototool is utmost with all the necessary bits and cutting disks. Access to a drill press is a plus as any holes drilled on the steel pan can be so much more precise.

I just finished some testing and the modified car has now cut the lap time of the HSRR Replica in half. Next, a set of Ortmann and no-magnet test.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jeff,
The one we sent you for the Muse is just as nice and is wearing a see-through dress.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Perhaps DOCTOR P. means that 'good old Medicated Goop' that Stevie Winwood and his pals used on their tyres. Didn't know Stevie was a slot racer did you? Never wondered why he called his band Traffic?

Come to think on it, anyone who understands the above will probably be on regular and frequent medication anyway.

And hurry, hurry, hurry! Last chance to buy Hrs H's Irish Pasties! 2 for the price of 3 special! All orders should now be sent to JP's new Electric Ladyland Raceway. Sob.

And I love that Mac chop job, Doc. But maybe you could have scratched a chassis with about the same degree of effort......?
Just being provocative!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ahh, that good old fashioned Medicated Goo howmet. Ooo, aint' it good for you!

Well, I won't be subjecting my Macca to that kind of treatment Doktor Pea but I did enjoy the read.

And like howmet says don't miss out - get those pasties while they're still extortionately priced (and hot).

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I must admit I liked the write up a clear and descriptive artical showing how to do the conversion sure it does advertise the fact that its pdls product but its a damn good car .So lets just put the bickering to bed now and may be turn this thread back to what its suposed to be a a constuction artical

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Great idea Graham

I must admit I prefered the changing guide option as this seemed a very sensible approach to take. Especially for running on routed tracks where a deeper guide blade is required.. For Plastic tracks I found just changing the braids to a softer racing compound gave a great improvement over the standard setup.

This would make a great car for the TSRF Challenge Rounds being held around the Country.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE And I love that Mac chop job, Doc. But maybe you could have scratched a chassis with about the same degree of effort......?

Actually, I have a lot of problems with my sight so it is a lot easier for me to just modify existing things. The TSRF chassis is very convenient because it is available and easy to modify. I really did not see any malice doing this but apparently some did. I am sorry that they feel this way. I am promoting electric model car racing all over, and this same posting can be found in other hobby sites such as plastic kits modeling forums etc. I spent a lot of time helping out for the current Racer Magazine slot car article, and did so before for Autoweek, Sports Cars Illustrated and other mags that may (and did) bring interest from outsiders into our hobby. I organized the Marconi Proxy races for charity (we raised over $6000.00 in the 4 races held so far) but I have put this on hold because of all the bickering. That does not earn me any money, I do it because I like it.

Now we are going to sell Sean's new chassis on the US market. Does this mean that I can't use it to fit on other project cars I will build? The TSRF products are sold all over the planet but indeed I have an interest in the manufacturing. Does this mean that I cannot build project cars using the TSRF parts or Sean's new chassis because it could be construed as advertising and by such, I could (horror) profit from it (apparently a dirty word in some slot car circles)?

We sell ALL KINDS of products from our store. From hard-to-find vintage cars and parts to the latest Scalextric, Carrera, Fly, PM controllers, Ortmann tires, NSR parts and other specialized manufacturers. Does this mean that I should be barred to use any of these or recommend such products on various forums because it could benefit our business?

If this segment of the Slot Forum is dedicated to scratchbuilding, meaning building from nothing, does it mean that no one should use any commercially available products such as Slot.It or BWA wheels, Slot.It, TSRF, Falcon or NC2 motors, because they are commercially available and it could benefit the business of the person posting if he is in the trade?
Isn't my buddy Al Penrose doing the same (good for him!) and that's OK, but not for me?

Are my postings harmful to the hobby? Is anyone here forced upon a penalty of death to read ANY such postings? How is it that my E-mail is full of messages from people who want more details on these various projects?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Aren't we a bit lucky to have so much time to play with TOYS?
Regards,

Dok Pea
(NO, I am not a real doctor, it's just a nickname my customers gave me, and I only practiced on my cat anyway and he does not like it a bit, OK?)

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Aren't we a bit lucky to have so much time to play with TOYS?

YES! And when someone who builds some of our toys participates and shows us that he too plays with the toys, I enjoy the read! Many people cross-post to different forums. That is not a problem. If they are blatantly promoting something, then my alarm bells would go off. I saw no such blatancy in this post. Just the sharing of something that an individual, who happens to be a manufacturer and contributor to the hobby, chose to share, as a hobbyist.

Why would PdL scratchbuild or use another chassis for this? The TSRF unit IS his scratchbuilt chassis! I see no reason for him to use anything else, and I fail to see how his post is either commercial or inappropriate. I'm grateful that he shares this sort of post.

While not everyone enjoys his wry humour or sometimes controversial insights and comments, I see no reason to frown on his active participation in the hobby. I'm sure, if many of you knew me well, you wouldn't like me either. Let's not let agendas get in the way of information sharing.

I'll go back to chewing on my Canadian moose-meat now....

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE My cat has been feeling a little listless recently

Howmet, I'm no doc, but while cleaning out a bunch of stuff for moving, I came across an interesting book entitled "How to Massage Your Cat". After reading it, I'm not sure your cat will feel better, or even still be breathing afterward, but I may be able to send it to you!

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE My cat has been feeling a little listless recently

Fergy,
FedEx your cat to me first thing and we will return her fully fixed and with Ortmann paws.
Ne fee for this consultation, it's on the house.

Dok Pea

PS: punch a few holes in the box for air.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Well... it was Howmet's cat.... but sure, I'll send his cat anywhere! Perhaps you could replace the "Tiger paws" with some proper tires!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.