SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello,
If you like to have an ultra wide curve in your plastic track, for some of you this might be interesting.
In general, plastic track only provides tight curves. Although they come in many radii, even the widest Ninco R-5 curve has a radius of only slightly over 90 cm. / 3 ft.
So what if you like to have a section with a real wide curve, a smooth "S" you normally only make in routed tracks? You might consider this.

On the left, a R2 and R3 Polistil curve. On the right, the A231 5 degrees curve piece. Though Polistil is primarily a well known brand in Italy, their tracks were sold all over Europe. It's the only brand that manufactured a plastic ultra wide 5 degrees curve piece with a radius of around 2.4 m./ 8 ft. To my knowledge there's no other brand that ever added such wide curve pieces to their track system.

With this track part you can make this kind of long, smooth and wide curves. What you see here is a 45 degrees bend, i used 9 pieces of 5 degrees to make it. This section is around 1.8 m. / 6 ft. long.
Though not produced anymore, they're still easy to find on (italian) auction sites and so. Also, quite some Italian slotrace clubs have 2/4/6 lane polistil tracks, often including this wide curve.

Polistil track fits easily on Ninco tracks, they have (almost) the same 90 mm. gauge. Also, on both systems the rails are insulated. All it takes is some filing and cutting away the track clips, and after that putting them together with hot glue or the Ninco metal clamps.

With the use of rail gum, you can polish even old and rusty 2nd hand track pieces back to a shiny and almost new state.
In the earlier pictures i used the old track pieces prior to cleaning/polishing. Here the result after rubbing them with rail gum (a well known product in the railroading community).

Converting track from Scalex to Ninco/Polistil, you can use the Ninco-Scalextric adapter track piece, formed like a slight chicane. Using this, you can incorporate an ultra wide bend in your Scalextric track.

Merc

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
thats really interesting, since my track is painted ninco. i did score a new complete outer outer bend circle, pack from pendles a few years ago for£18 the bends dia,s are 62ins from edge to edge. john

·
Registered
81 Posts
If someone is interested in "how these curves may look" in a real 4 lane layout, below some pic of our club track in Italy.
FYI, these curves are fast, but not enough large to allow a complete "flat out" with some of the fastest cars, but allow a great fun!

This is the complete layout:

For a 4 lanes proper placement, of course, some small custom-cutted straight must be placed in between every 3-4 curves on the outer side.

Hope you'll enjoy it, ciao

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
grazie merc, ive tried that, but didn,t like it. you cant keep a controlled drift on, it tends to try and snap back in just the short straight and then swing out on the next bit of curved section. i,ve got to build a routed track in the near future so it will be problem solved. i do like the idea of these bends on my current ninco track-17ft by 6ft thanks any way john

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Belle fotó Maurizio, grazie :)
Now you're here i remember a comment on the dutch slottrack forum, stating that slot.it now owns the polistil brand.
Could you confirm that and if yes, any plans on remaking these lovely track parts? Would be a great addition to plastic tracks :)

Saluti,

Merc

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love and hate this hobby at times, hear me out. I visit this site at least once a week just to see what you chaps are up to. Have not post anything in over a year. But once I read Mera C piece on Polistil super wide curves, I have been on a tear to find out all I can on Polistil 5 degree curvers. I went so far as to contact a seller on Ebay Italy about how many pieces I could get my hands on, an I am almost positive he did not speak English. Yes I am pityful. So if I use the 5 degree curve as the outside curve what degree Polistil curve would I useon the inside if I am running 4 lanes?? Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

Polistil 5° outer curvers are veeeeery hard to find in Italy too, since Polistil has ceased existing in 1991 (from what I read).
I found 4 last year and I believe I was very lucky.
I can't believe one can find enough for any practical use but to 'straight on' after a 180° parabolic curve, better if on a 2 lane track.
Anyhow, Polistil meant the inner lanes curve to be 60°, then 30° (2x), then 15° (4x) and then 5°(12x !!) for a possible 8 lanes track but it has always been a hassle to match the outer curves to the inner ones because of not perfect lenght and degrees.
Also, the 30° curves are a panic to find, not to mention the 15°.....
I would not reccomend to think about these pieces as a practical way to build a large radius curve.
Though, for a good mixed radii and lenght curves track, the mix of Polistil and Fleischmann track pieces is a winner! You can build (I actually did) a 4 lanes track with 30°, 45°, 60°, 75° and 90° curves very easily.
Cheers,

Luca

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello Bigwormracing,

I've drawn this for you, to answer your questions.

As you can see, the R1-R2-R3 curves have a way smaller radius than the 5 degree super wide curve. The 5 degree curve is not fitting into the proportions of the inner curves, it's standing on it's own. For the 5 degree curve there's no partner track piece to make 4 or 6 lanes.
To still make a wide curve in a 4 lane track, what you can do is pictured too:
You can assemble 18 pieces A231 for a 90 degree inner lane, and 18 of the same A231 pieces for the outer lane. When combining this with two 75 mm. quarter straights on the ends (part no. A24) and one 150 mm. straight in the middle (part no. A23), you can assemble a wide curve in a 4 lane setup.

As Pennacondor stated correctly, the 5 degree pieces are becoming rare and hard to get. It's not quite realistic to find 18 of them, let alone 36 for a 4 lane 90 degrees bend.
But even a few of them are a nice addition to a track layout i think, and are easily connected to Ninco or Fleischmann track parts. With 2 or 4 pieces it's easy to make high speed "S" curves and stay within the 45/90 degrees systematics of regular track parts.
It took me around 3 weeks of searching to get hold of 10 of them, in good condition and for a fair price - i suppose i was lucky too.
You might ask around amongst Italian slot race clubs. Sometimes track layouts change, or clubs switch to wood - leaving plastic track to be sold 2nd hand. You never know.
And yes, ebay is patient, just store your searched item phrase (i searched on multiple parameters like "polistil A231", "polistil curva 5 gradi", etc.)

Good luck searching,

Merc

p.s. Pennacondor, do you still have pictures of the track you built with Fleischmann and Polistil combined? Mi piacerebbe tanto to see it!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
To give an example of how i put my treasured Polistil A231 5 degrees ultra wide curve track to good use, here's my current design for the xmas holidays.

46079619131_31af2611e8_o_d.jpg

To honour the beautiful Autodromo di Monza, for the main straight i start on the left with the widening Parabolica curve, than a long straight smoothly transitioning into the famous Curva Grande. And then straight into the possibly banked AVUS curve but that's another story :)

Thanks to these fantastic vintage Polistil track pieces i can design and build curves in plastic track you normally only see in routed tracks!

Merc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.