SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst contemplating a possible repeat of the dreary 2002 Formula One season, my day was definitely brightened by an e-mail from Jeff Davies containing these pictures of an absolutely superbly built Jaguar Mk II:-

I was really taken by the neatness of the build and the accuracy of the bending of the rails, not to mention that British Racing Green Jaguars always look good!

The car has been built for the Round Table Childrens Wish Charity Drive and Jeff is planning to use it at the Phoenix event.

Any guesses as to who the creator of this fine piece of craftsmanship could possibly be....? I may just be able to find a spare one of Mrs Howmet's yet to be knitted wonderful woolies to give away as a prize!

Kind regards

Russell

G

·
Hi Graham,
are you sure? because it's a plastic card body with separate window panel. I had sent to me as a sample.

Jeff.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
certain Jeff its one of the ones I did as a joint venture with Sean and Dave Yerbury I did the original Dave made the resin mold and sean sold them as aa bodies I still have the original mold for it . Email me as to where it came from if you dont want to say on the board .Im not bothered about reproductions as I havent bothered making any for several years.

G

·
You are right because I had it from AA bodies as a sample, nice body it's too. I have a red one, white and green one.

Now if only you could make a 1/32 scale BABS body.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
And very nicely it goes too! I bet Inspector Morse's Mk.II Jag's chassis was never that clean!! Beautiful piece of work.

Mark.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE Whilst contemplating a possible repeat of the dreary 2002 Formula One season

dreary , why???

Ciao
Beppe

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Beppe

You are clearly back in Italy!

All I can say is....

Forza Ferrari!

Without wishing to take anything away from Michael Schumacher, who is undoubtedly one of the greatest racing drivers of all time, it seems that no matter what Mosley and Ecclestone dream up in their attempt to make the racing closer, Ferrari's chassis designer Rory Byrne is always a few steps ahead… the F2004 car simply made a mockery of the opposition! If Schumi and Rubino didn't back right off (stupid one engine rule, this is F1, not Le Mans!) they would have lapped the entire field… and they never looked like they were trying hard!

F1 is very much a team effort, but I don't think that Rory Byrne gets the recognition he rightfully deserves. Ever since the South African joined the Scuderia from Benetton in 1997, he has played a major role in bringing them success. He has certainly come a long way since his first creation, the 1982 F1 Toleman. In 1986, when Toleman were bought out and renamed Benetton, Byrne continued to design top class F1 cars, before leaving to take on a new role designing Reynard's F1 chassis. When the Reynard F1 effort failed to get off the ground, he returned to Benetton and designed a car that gave Michael Schumacher back to back World Titles in 1994 and 1995.

When Schumacher left Benetton to join Ferrari, Byrne was enticed to follow. His first Ferrari F1 chassis design was the 1998 car, which took Schumacher so close to the driver's title. Byrne's 1999 design, the F399, gave Ferrari the Constructor's Championship, despite Schumacher being sidelined by his accident at the British GP. His F1-2000 took all the honours the next year, with Ferrari winning the constructor's title and Michael Schumacher winning the drivers title. Byrne's F2001 was all conquering, giving Schumacher and Ferrari another double world title, and his F2002 took all the honours again the next year, with Schumacher and Barrichello winning 15 of the 17 GPs. Last year's F2003-GA again brought double world titles for the Scuderia. Byrne's latest creation, the F2004, at this stage at least, seems unbeatable. No doubt Ecclestone will have a word with Ferrari to slow things down a bit, so as to protect his income from television rights….

Oh, that other brilliant chassis designer -- and builder of the Jaguar chassis featured above -- is Howmet, inspired no doubt by Mrs H's wonderful woollie Willie warmers (and here was JohnP thinking that they were 3-armed woollies….)

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Russell, I don't know whether to to be impressed or concerned. Three? And have you seen the length of those sleeves? Mrs H is shocked. But seems keen to visit you to talk knitting patterns.

G

·
I have been testing the Jag, it races just like the real car of which I had quite a few mainly 3.8 manuals with overdrive. These would spin their back wheels at the drop of a hat on their tall profile tyres.

It drives really well with great straight line speed and is very quite but it slides very well with great power slides around all the corners now this may not be the fastest way to drive it but it sure is the most fun.

I was thinking of putting some lead on the chassis side plates but I like so much as it is I am going to leave it alone.

I will be racing it at the phoenix event to try it on a large track.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts