Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Phil Clayton
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a long shot this, I'm hoping some of the more 'mature' members of the forum will be able to dredge their memories to help.

I recently discovered that "Superquick" who produce a range of scale building kits in card for model railways, also produced some buildings in 1/32nd scale for slot racing tracks during the late 60's early 70's.

I understand that these kits have long been discontinued but I'm interested to see if anyone knows what buildings were in the series ("MR ??" cat ref by Superquick).

I've seen the pit stop buildings go for over £25 on the bay-of-e recently and at that price I'm a bit reticent to buy any other unmade kits!

However, if anyone knows of an archive of plans which can be downloaded or something similar, all info will be gratefully received.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an alternate source of plans for card buildings (preferably suitable for the period 1966 - 1972) could they let me know.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Phil

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
hi , i have built building in the past , using "oo" card structures.
If you have a look at the Wolves circuit in "clubs " you will see
a small church on the infield bits made with this method
What i did was to buy the normal railway card building.
These need to be enlarged to bring them somewhere near 1/32 scale
in the following way.
If we say the average hight of a driver is 5' 6", this equates 66", divide
by 32, this brings his hight to a little over 2" in 1/32 scale.
Knowing that most doors are 6' 6" equating to 78", again divide this by
32, this gives a door hight in 1/32 scale of almost 2 and a half inches.
What happens now is you measure the hight of the door on your card
building, this will give you a % increase figure that the cards of the building
have to be increasted in size to to make them 1/32 scale.
Take your cards to a photo copying shop telling them to increase there size
to your % figure and they will print then off for you, its only a couple of quid
a sheet.
Then these sheets are glued onto stiff card and cut out and glued together.
Also as the cards are in colour theres no need for painting, a bit of a job but
the method allows you to do the same trick with any of the card building no
matter what scale they are.
Hope thats of use, happy building
Mac P

·
Registered
581 Posts
QUOTE (ThatCorvetteGuy @ 14 Jun 2012, 14:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alternatively, if anyone knows of an alternate source of plans for card buildings (preferably suitable for the period 1966 - 1972) could they let me know.

First...a great idea. Flats against a scenicked backdrop are a great way to add character to a track without gobbling up table space. I do this myself and it works super.

Second...I always build my own. It's the "blessing and curse" of our hobby, and I fully embrace it as the former.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are looking for building plans of structures, you could have a look at carrera4fun. It has several plans to download. Most plans are based on the older Carrera building.
It's in German, but just have a look at Gebäude & Deko, the pictures are clearing enough. carrera4fun link

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Gokartride forgot to tell you to look at his 3-tiered track on shelves in a cabinet where he built faux front (or shallow depth) buildings on each level and did a great job.

Check him out.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
spykermans site was brilliant, theyv,e got every thing you need for your circuit and the downloads are free, the only thing wrong is the page wont translate, so you have to click on every thing to see what it is. you wont be disapointed. so big thanks spykerman and also mac p for the rescaling post. john

·
Phil Clayton
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Mac P, I was aware of the trick of up-scaling OO buildings, a railway modeller of my acquaintance had suggested the same thing. However, the available buildings aren't suitable for my needs.

Spykerman, have seen that link to the old Carrera buildings before, again they're not really what I was looking for being too modern and too European.

Gokartride, I'd love to build my own buildings if I had the time. Then I could have exactly what I wanted.

To explain what I'm trying to achieve you need to see photos of places like Bridgehampton, Mont Tremblant, Riverside, Virginia International and Kent circuits in the late '60s.
The space I have 3m x 1.2m, the track layout is relatively simple and I'd like to add some typical period buildings to create an atmosphere.
If I had suitable plans I could probably make the simple buildings from card, foam core and plasticard.

The search continues.................

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i think theres an airport controll tower, sheds, farm buidings, on paper models .com, that might fit your period needs. john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts