SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in another club members old slotbox, it wasn't working so we opened it and found a disconnected lead wire which we repaired. Also found out that the body is a Supershells one, I'm not sure who made the motor, maybe MRRC. The ackerman steering is really well made from stamped steel parts. After the repair it was put on the track and off it went, the tyres aren't split but a bit hard but maybe they could be revived. Quite a nice find.

Tony

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi guys
The correct nomenclature for that body is a 250 P which was the 3 litre version and I thin thats what shells advertised it as
however since the 3.3 litre engine (275 p) and the 4 litre engine (330p) were also put in the same car I guess it would be allright to call it that as well ,.dont think there was a 265 engine

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A great little discovery, Bigtone, and it's not a straight transplant of VIP mechanicals.
First, the Super Shells wheels, better looking and more to scale than any of VIP's.
Second, the front suspension-steering unit is probably mounted differently for a wheelbase longer than VIP's standard set-up.
Third, the contrate has been changed. The motor's silver side-frames indicate it's the more powerful Club Special, which usually came with a white 32T contrate. Yours has the standard motor's black 36T, giving a 4:1 ratio and presumably fitted to match the taller diameter wheels.
I can confirm t'other Tony's suggestion that Super Shells sold the body kit as a 250P. I have one of their leaflets. It also says: "Chassis easy to motorize and bearings best fixed with epoxy resin, e.g. Araldite." That would be for a motor without its own axle bracket.
I also have one of the SS cars but assembled it just as a static, partly because I already had the Monogram 275P kit slotcar. The Monogram has more detail on the nose and bonnet, but I like both.
Rob J

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi
its possible that it was sold as a complete kit ,as I remeber building one up about 20 years ago ,not from a kit but from bits obtained from SRM
I seem to remember that an ft16d fitted in it perfectly ,and srm certainly sold all the bits separately

cheers tony

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tony, the last section of Greenslade's book showed a pic of one built up as you describe. Wondered for years but could not confirm whether this was an "official" kit, esp. being so different from other Supershells cars. It looked like the lower pan had to be modified to accept the chosen guideflag; perhaps a Strombecker or Scalex long thing. I have also wondered whether this car (and the E Jag, for that matter) were designed primarily for static display, rather than as an "option" on previous cars?

·
Administrator
9,908 Posts
Super Shells definitely offered kits, at least in their ads, but I don't think I've actually seen one in the package, even a photo...

In the May 66 issue of Miniature Auto they advertise their Lotus 30 kit for 50', complete with everything, but they don't say which motor, probably a 13D by then. (I have one of these with a K's motor, but no idea if it's their kit or a built up from various parts).

As late as the May 68 issue of Miniature Auto, there's a performance test of their Porsche Carrera 6, with the reinforced nylon chassis and type 13 Mabuchi motor, at £1 19s 6d

I remember them listing other kits as well, all along the same principles...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The Jaguar body was apparently different from the Ferrari's, at least in 1964. A Super Shells leaflet from that year said the E-type had "motor mountings in the base". At that stage SS was selling the two Ks motors ("suitable for all cars") and the Triang ("will fit F1 Ferrari, saloons and GT cars"). No chassis at that time, it seems.
The 250P had no motor mounts then and in a photo Bernard posted a while back of four motorised SS sports-cars it alone still had the closed bottom and apparently no separate chassis. Were any of the other bodies modified by Super Shells to take the chassis?
Rob J

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't think any of the Super Shells was ever sold as RTR or complete kit, but probably there is people around who know better. The usual (early) version Ferrari 250P requires a lot of custom work: the underpan is a piece of uncut plastic with just the holes for the bearings; you have to make holes for the guide, contrate and motor of your choice, and provide something to hold the motor in place. Another possibility is to install a complete chassis, as in the fine example shown above. It's more or less the same for the Jaguar, while the other models may receive one of the Super Shells chassis: it is an easy fitting for the two Lotus and the Porsche, but I have not yet find out how to (satisfactorily) attach a Super Shells formula body to the (corresponding?) Slim Jim chassis; in the Ferrary 158 there is not ever room for the heads of the screws holding motor (K's) and chassis together and an Airfix Slimline fits far better!

There is a second version of the 250P body (the one shown in Greenslade's book) in which the underpan has been modofied so that a 16D is held in place once the two halves of the body are screwed together. I built one for a friend some years ago. If I remember well, it was a strightforward job: the underpan comes with the holes for the guide and the supports for 1/8" axles, with 3/8" bearings required at the rear. This is the only Super Shells body suitable for a in-factory mounting.

Eduardo

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'd forgotten what I "knew" a year ago. Yes; there was a later 250P modified by Super Shells to take an FT16 motor.
I even posted an Auto Modeller article by Roger Greenslade with a photo of the interior, and a para on kits.
Lots of info and photos at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...59921&st=15 . One of Bernard's photos shows the underside with new moulding for the can motor, and cut-outs at the front for the guide and probably optional steering front wheels.
The magazine article on Super Shells is at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...30&start=30 .
RWG knew of three complete kits, for the Lotus 30 and Elite and the 250P, all using the K's Mk I, so Don's could be a genuine kit car.
Rob J

·
Registered
361 Posts
I suspect that if you ordered the complete car, you got the body+axles+wheels+inserts kit, a separately packaged chassis, perhaps the gear and the motor in a separate bag. I have never seen a complete Super Shells car kit in one package, or RTR.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car pictured had obviously been a 2 piece full shell anf the bottom half had been cutaway to accomadate the running gear. The only mounting point in the car was a perspex block under the steering which had 2 threaded holes. Brass engineering screws went through the steering unit to attach the running gear to the body. It was all held into place when the bottom half of the shell was screwed on. It was al very well done

·
Registered
942 Posts
QUOTE (dgersh @ 23 Apr 2013, 22:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Super Shells definitely offered kits, at least in their ads, but I don't think I've actually seen one in the package, even a photo...

In the May 66 issue of Miniature Auto they advertise their Lotus 30 kit for 50', complete with everything, but they don't say which motor, probably a 13D by then. (I have one of these with a K's motor, but no idea if it's their kit or a built up from various parts).

As late as the May 68 issue of Miniature Auto, there's a performance test of their Porsche Carrera 6, with the reinforced nylon chassis and type 13 Mabuchi motor, at £1 19s 6d

I remember them listing other kits as well, all along the same principles...

Don

Ooohhhhh !

I had not heard of these ads, thanks Don.

In any case, I still do not detect any drives from motorkit and it is very rare that any of us have not detected.

In my opinion, from a very orthodox view, these cars must be completed with K's engines because the instructions suggest mounting pamphlets with this engine.

Journal articles are not official by the brand Super Shells, although their sugerimientos are very interesting and if we have a slightly more relaxed posture, even being true to the brand, I think I see right to use any engine conforming adequately Shells Super chassis, because the brand did not worry too much on submit complete cars.

However, in the case of Super Shells our conduct must be unorthodox, because the philosophy of the brand (or at least I think so) was to offer a product that was closer to the modellers, that the slot fans.

Ks, tri-ang, Mabuchi or another ... I believe that the decision engine coupled to a Super Shells unit is philosophical.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is the "official" 13UO setup from a Model Cars test.

The magazine keeps calling the complete Lotus Elite "a kit", and "a rather disappointing kit" compared to the old K's powered version. However, even the magazine itself doesn't seem to advertise complete car kits from Supershells. In the May 1968 issue we have: "S75 Special offer Chassis & Steering (S71) with Mabuchi FT13UO motor crown wheel and pinion"

So I assume Super Shells offered individual parts and at least:

1)blister packs with body+wheels&tyres&inserts+axle (even I have one), and
2)packs with chassis+steering+motor+crown&pinion

In racing you should accept at least 1)Super Shells body and chassis+ K's motor and Eldi gear and 2) Super Shells body and chassis with 13UO+adapter and plastic gear

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Guys
From memory super shells ,in the later years (presumably to sell bits that were not going individually) of at least 3 cars
the lotus's elite and 30 came with a nylon pop in chassis which was engineered to take a k,s and latterly as 13uo
both these shells had open bottoms
the e type and the 250p had closed bottom like scalex cars and I think the porsche 906 did too
that means the nylon chassis in the pictures above would not have fitted it
Now my memory again of the 250 p was that the can motor, ft16d just rested in the bottom of the lower pan and was held in place once the top and bottom were screwed together (although track testing required the motor to be glued as well to prevent juddering down the straights)
Now the 250p was released before the advent of can motors ,so I can only assume that the one I had incorporated a a retro moulded base to take the 16 d.Whether that was so it could be sold as a kit I dont know
additionally I cant remember what guide I used for this ,as the only ones that super shells made were the ones that fitted the steering units

sounds like I need to rott through some old model cars mag
I do remeber there was a track test of one of these in a modle cars magazine that was releatively poor ,and when super shells complained they printed an apology

cheers tony

1 - 20 of 156 Posts