SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by a good friend to run a Scalextric party for his sons birthday.
I ran a party last year at his partners dance studio with loads of fun had by all.

Last years track

This year after watching RikkiGTR's track design progress and getting very jealous of the space
he has an the track he is building.

I thought F
it
its not very often you get chance to use a large space to build a big track so why not build Suzuka.

So this is as close as I can get to Suzuka with my track parts. I'm very happy with the way it has turned out.

The lane lengths are:
Lane#1 22.97m,
Lane#2 22.89m.

Thanks to JL-F1 for the original design that I used to make mine from

The party is on Sunday 18th so I have just over a week to prep the cars and sort out the power taps.
I need to chat to my friend but I'm hoping to make it into an open event so anyone in the area can come and have a go

Regards
CB
Gaz

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Yup nice one! Hope everyone has a great day Im sure they will

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the power taps are done, the cars prepped. The tyres have been glued, trued and treated with 3in1 oil.
The track has been cleaned and all connections have been recrimped.
The timing system has been checked. Webcam using ur3 and zone trigger.
Track setup starts at around 9.30 and the fun should begins 11ish.
I will be taking pictures and videos of the whole day.
Just need to remember to pick the cold beers out the fridge in the morning.
Here's hoping that it all goes smoothly.
An Suzuka is as much fun to drive as it looks

Cb
Gaz

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree, Suzuka is one of the few "real" layouts that is really fun in slot form.
I have tried all the real F1 tracks in slot

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have at last uploaded the pictures and a video of last Sundays fun and games racing on Suzuka.
A great day was had by everyone (apart from my knees, must remember knee pads next time
)
The track went up in just over 1hour
then I spent around half an hour trying to get the power taps to work
after getting very PPPPPP'd of with them they got thrown back into a box.
So with a track at just over 23m long power lose was a big problem at the far end of the track, even with my efforts of re-crimping all the track joints the week before.

So I reached into my tool box and pulled out the WONDER LIQUEUR that is INOX. A little drop onto the braids and a few laps later we had full power around the whole track
God I love this stuff

After the problems with the power taps I thought nothing else could go wrong but no. For some reason the Hairpin curve chicane lanes seamed to close up and cause the guides to jam (any ideas on how this happened and how to fix it are welcomed)
So after much swearing (under my breath, kids party an all that
) I ended up having to remove the hairpin and replace it with a R2 bend.
The kids found this alot easier to drive and reduced the de-slots that had been happening on the hairpin.

So after a swift redesign it was down to racing.
Which was great fun and everyone had a go with all the different cars I had taken along.

We raced:
A1 GP No-mag. My favourite car of the day, best lap 11.365(me
)
Scalextric start le mans No-mag. Good fun to drive, best lap 11.116 (me again
)
HR Boxters No-mag. Very tall end happy even with glued/trued and 3in1 treated tyres. Best time 15.734 (my mate Scott)
HR Boxters with mag. The kids loved these as they didn't de-slot as much. I really don't like mag racing but have to admit that I did put in quite a few laps in with them. Best time 8.277 (Me again
)
I also took along a Ford GT no-mag and a Merc Mclaren SLR no-mag but with the amount of de-slots happening they stayed in the box.
I had great fun running my Opel calidra fitted with a PCS chassis and Slot-it running gear. my best lap with this car was 9.254 I think with longer I could of broken into the 8seconds.

For most of the day there was 8 people racing. but just after lunch the head count reach 20people mainly kids but a few parents had a go then walked away with their heads in hands after being beaten by their child

God its hard work trying to run a days racing on your own, while keep everyone happy. A good few well needed beers where sunk at the end of the day

I wanted to take more photos and shoot a few more videos but never found time to.

The track starting to go down

The track down

The redesigned hairpin curve

view from 1st&2nd curve

Watch for your lights

Driver station with the Birthday boy sat on the right

My youngest standing very still

Video taken when no one was about to marshal

Well until next time

Regards
CB
Gaz