SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
I have thinking about this design of Suzuka for a while now. I have small basement in a house in the Okanagan. We call it The Lair. The current layout is a take of Cataluyna but in reverse. The Catalunya layout is my first attempt with slots. I have been a long time modeler, train and r/c guy but I think I have found my place with slots.

First, Suzuka

I came up with this design by playing F1 2000 on the computer. Its an older game but I find it useful because its very animated in its look. Which is just the way I intend to build this layout. Simple and clean and at the same time trying to capture the essence of Suzuka.

Now the cuurent layout Cataluyna,

So what do you think?

Lorenzo

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I must say the Catalunya layout looks excellent.
Good work Lorenzo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it's fairly fast and very flowing to race on. Scaley around 8 seconds and slot it around 7.

With the Suzuka layout the above table will be torn down and a series of boxes with 3/4" MDF on top. Then either 1/4 or 3/8" MDF elevated from the base. The landscape will be built up using a technique used by one of the guys in our group uses to construct scale homes for clients

The white layer being put on top of the cardboard is Elmers foamboard. If you breakdown the foam portion of the board you can mould the board quite well over the cardboard using a hot glue gun. All the elvations will be done on cad and transfered by means of a template.
Over the foamboard goes Woodland Scenics landscaping sheets.

Get it?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Oh, difficult. Your present track looks great fun to run on. I guess you can get bored with anything. The new one looks a challenge even to build let alone race on.

Pictures of how you get on, please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Cataluyna track is lot of fun but it does have its drawbacks. Marshalling is near impossible as no room to move or reach. I have grabbers but would much prefer a layout that has different vantage points.
The new build won't be so hard because of its simple design and construction in every aspect. Don't get me wrong, I love detail but to detail something so large would bankrupt me. We all know what Woodland Scenics does to the pocket book.

Besides I am too anal with detailing as you can see

but that hobby takes place in the other half of the Lair

Getting back to Suzuka, does anybody see any problems with the layout itself?

Lorenzo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Could be difficult to marshall in some areas but with a track call button it shouldn't be too difficult. We are a small group so marshalls are us.
As far as the xover, right now I have that one as a floater as you will.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm really pumped about this one and I never fail, just learn.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
What a terrific layout, very nice! Other than the previous comment about the xover; there may be a line of sight issue to the hairpin from the 3rd and 4th driver's stations. Whether or not it's an issue will likely depend on the grade coming down from the overpass. I'm really going to enjoy following the development of this track.

As for the Lair, I find the 'other' half just as interesting as this one. That's a great modeling station you have there and nice work on the Phantom too!

Thanks for sharing.
Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot Brad, I've seen your stuff.
The sightline you speak of is really hard to understand. If you go to youtube and do a lap of Suzuka you will see that as you come under the overpass you are actually climbing all the way just prior to the spoon curve. So, yes this will be one of the critical points of the layout.

Keep it coming guys this is good.
p.s. how do you attach a youtube vid

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The nice part is that the distance between lanes is only 5". Inside lane-79'3", Outside lane 79'8". So analog racing is a possibility with the new Scaley PB provided it comes with an aux port. But for now the Power Pro and H mod is the only way to fly.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi there Lorenzo .. I´ll toss in a few ideas here, you decide if they´re useful or crappy ..

A quick revamp of your track ..

I like the plan in general very much, it has a nice flow to it! But .. this is what I´d do if I had this space, your original track under in grey, my alterations in faded red ---

>> Open up in the middle part [in green], by redoing the track a little bit and thus get access to reach the bridge and pit entry.
>> Make straight under bridge in slightly different angle, ease up the turn after and make the straight towards hairpin in a slightly upward slope, reaching at the hairpin almost the level of pitentry and avoiding any viewblock by the bridge. Then afterwards the 180 turn, run downhill to a dip at the esses at 5, then slight uphill through the next broad turn heading towards the pit entry.

Wadda ya think?

-- ron --

·
Registered
465 Posts
Could you post more pictures of your support base construction? Looks great!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Ron, those are brilliant changes and I totally agree with them. Reaching deslotted cars in the middle is important. However I don't like the pale pinky orangey colour and think that grey or black would be much better.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I still like the Catalunya circuit better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, here it is revised but I'm a little concered about the flow just after the hairpin. Instead of the xover there, maybe a R/H corner L/C.
The esses are moved a little to the right so I think within reach but at the same time enough room for pit buildings. The hairpin has also been moved for elevation and line of sight and will be around the same elevation as the Triangle chicane.

Racer, the Cataluyna track is coming down an will live only in good memories, sorry dude.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
It's a great looking design Lorenzo, though there's part of my brain that says "3-lane routed track"
(sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm sure this will be an interesting build to follow. Looking (jealously!) at the Phantom, it's obvious you are a skilled model maker so I hope you decide to take the 'scenic route', it would surely be spectacular (and Suzuka has large run-off areas, easier on the wallet than trees!). Whatever you decide to do I'm sure many of us will follow the developmets with great interest.

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your modifications look great! That should be a great layout to race upon!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.