SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The track has finally risen from the depths of the rug and soared to the table top.

I prefer tracks based on real tracks but my space is limited and an L shape is the best use of the available space. The L shape does not lend itself to many real tracks but after searching, I noticed that if you could turn Suzuka upside down and bend it at the Dunlop curve it makes a nice L shape.

I fired up the track design software and came up with this.

I want a permanent layout with scenery, but with such a small space I wondered if I might tire of such a small track. (about 36ft) So I decided that maybe I could make part of the track somewhat modular along with the scenery and insert the "twist". Actually. NINCO rally loops which lets me run both ways, sort of giving me 2 tracks in 1.

The tables are built and fit the space pretty well with just a little overhang of the track borders that I'll need to trim.

I've since added two layers of 1/4 inch foam insulation under the track. The first layer is just for sound deadening, the cars make quite a clatter over the plywood. On the second layer, I'm going to trace around the track, cut it out and recess the track to help bring the landscaping up to the track surface.

I'll post more photos as progress is made.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Jay,
I like what you have done here kept the essence of the circuit but fitted it into the available space, those tables will look as if they where made for the job. I cut foam board (£10:00 for 6'x10' ' 8mm from a local sign manufacturer) to raise the level up to track height which has been a challenge, but now it's getting landscaped it's beginning to look the business. It does away with the clip-on boarders and you simply paint them on to suit. I have added gravel traps etc just to add to the look.
I thought for a moment you had got the new Scalextic Pit Lane until I realised what you had done!

I will await more of your photos to see how it progresses but it is looking great so far.
Very neat, if I could work that neat my wife would have allowed me to have my track down stairs (out of the loft) too! Actually I quite like my "den" I vanish up there for hours and forget the rest of the world!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Some of the corners are quite tricky, especially the outside lane as you go around the sweeper leading into the esses. You can carry a decent amount of speed with a nice drift but then as reach the esses you change direction quite abruptly and can easily deslot.

Mark, you are right about the hairpin but the space constraints dictated that situation. I like to rum Vanquish cars and they bang the wall every time. It will just take clever driving to make up for it.

I got the track recessed last night and I hope to paint the track and borders this weekend.

·
Registered
552 Posts
While I'm certainly not on Zipp's pace I have finally made a little progress on the overpass.

I wanted the supports to look like stacked stone. It doesn't stand out quite like I wanted it to but it will do. The rest of the slope will be covered with woodland scenic plaster sheets.

Actually the entire layout will be covered with it. I gave up on the grass matts. They would not stay glued down, they felt like sand paper, and the color was not that good.

One question though, should I put my trees in now, after the plaster sheets but before paint and grass, or after everything is done?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looks great.
I'm sure once painted the stone supports will look fantastic.If you paint the parts in between the stones with a darker shade then dry brush a lighter tone over them they will stand out more.
If you did not know,a simple way to paint the gaps in the stone is to paint the stone the shade or shades you want,then wash the whole lot with a thinned down mix of darker paint and whilst still wet wipe off.This will leave the darker shade inbetween the stones.
Or,paint the whole lot in the darker shade,then progressively dry brush lighter shades until the desired stone effect is achieved.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
QUOTE One question though, should I put my trees in now, after the plaster sheets but before paint and grass, or after everything is done?

Based on my own experiences, I would say, leave the trees till last. They get in the way as you are trying to work on other parts of the scenery.

Great track design BTW - Suzuka is one of my favorites too, and I love how you've captured the spirit of the original while adapting to your space.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was not pleased at all the stacked stone on the overpass supports so out they went and with a very small trowel, in went bricks. I thought it turned out much better. I'm about half way through so here are the updated photos with a few gratuitous action shots thrown in as well.

·
Alan Tadd
4,048 Posts
Excellent Jay, the work you have done is superb...

I'm not sure I could resist laying the "missing" section of track and having a good thrash around, rather than finishing the landscaping the first section...... tremendous willpower !

Regards

Alan

·
David Moss
472 Posts
Looks brilliant!

Must say, I agree with Difflock but apart from that I think you've done a fantastic version of Suzuka in the space you have.

Another track I would love to drive.
Well done on the work!

Bacardibeast

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm having a great time doing it but I'm ready to get it finished.

Alan, I have had it disassembled now for almost two months. I have yet to actually drive the Sharknose and Cooper. Soon.

Steve, I used a grey latex primer, but in its original state it was much to light for my taste so I poured out about 1/4 of it and added the black latex paint I used on the tables. It turned out much darker and I like the contrast of the grey in the green scenery.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.