SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody going to the slot swappie at Bishops Stortford on October 5th

Saw this advertised at the Milton Keynes meeting - anybody know who's going to be selling ?

see you there

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Full details for the calendar folks?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you are going you will be in for a treat. I`ve been a few times and you don`t want to take a credit card! These swapmeets are great for shopping! the prices are as low as you can find providing you look first have a good walk around and then buy. A lot of the big dealers have been but often get fed up cos the `little guys` turn up and sell dead cheap. Example ...Fly Gt cars for £10. good chance for a natter and to see in the flesh stuff that you only see on the web. Evesham is this Sunday (at the sports centre, supposed to be NSCC only but no-one cares to check) and is great, the lads from Phoenix in their blue T shirts go in numbers (I`m running the club unfortunately). Enjoy and think of us workers!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swiss - all I know is that it was advertised as being at the Bishops Stortford Football Club on Sunday 5th October.

this is 2 minutes from junction 8 of the M11 ( or 5 minutes from Stanstead for anyone flying in for it
)

Be nice to find out which traders/sellers will be there - anybody Know ?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Plans for four of us (including Mr Material and Jexy1), from Farnham/Liphook clubs to go along.

Mr M, you know who we can contact for a list of traders? Might be good for them to have people here see some info in advance.

Scott

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
No wonder you couldn't get up in time for Evesham, Scott. You lot bloody nocturnal or what? I finally read all new posts by 12.45 and gave up. Me and the parrot have got bags under our eyes this morning! Some of you still had another hour to go.

Back on topic, Brian Walters is organising the event, and in case he isn't reading this (I doubt it), I will try to get in touch with him and get a list of traders attending. When I was in my mate's shop yesterday he actually got a call from Brian asking if he wanted a table. He doesn't, his reason being the fact that just recently there have been quite a few swapmeets close together(MK,Evesham and now this all in the space of about 6 weeks), he doesn't take much new stuff cos he doesn't want to compete with the big boys and he is rapidly running out of old stuff. I hope this isn't a reflection of the general trend!

I'll let you know! Might not be till the weekend though so if anybody else finds out in the meantime, let us all know!

Mr.M

Need sleep

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
A couple of years ago, when I was still a single man with no child and in charge of my own affairs, I went to this one and rated it as just a tad smaller than the NSCC sanctioned MK meet.

Hopefully it hasn't shrunk, hopefully I may get to this one.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Pendle Slot Racing will be there. We have booked 2 tables but will be concentrating on resin kits and rtr cars from manufacturers such as Top Slot, MMK, Protoslot, Maxi Models, Classic Slot etc etc. There will be stall upon stall of all the standard Fly, SCX, Scalex stuff so we try to take something a little different, anybody who wants to pre order anything can do so and we will take it along for collection on the day. We won't be taking spares as we have done in previous years so if you want to collect anything on the day just drop me a line (a few days in advance would be nice!)
Cheers Sean
an

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Update time.

I have e-mailed Brian with a request for a list of major stall holders and/or number of stalls booked. Just awaiting a reply.

Jexy1 tells me that it doesn't appear on Mark Scale's list of events attended but please don't take it as cast in stone as I'm sure he has always been there when it was an official NSCC "do".

As soon as I know, you will know. Well, nearly!

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I'll be there! (dependant on Scott's driving!)

Stupid wants list of cheap Scalextric 80's cars and Miticos stuff.

I'll take a few bits to get rid of as well (see swaps lists).

If you have any SCX questions feel free to find me and chat, i would wear a badge of something, but then i would look like a prat (or more of a prat than normal!).

Gareth

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Well, what can I say, folks!

No answer, came the stern reply!

Now, you can take this to mean different things depending on whether you consider your glass to be half full or half empty. Mines empty! Back in a minute!

Either he's been so busy taking bookings for stalls that he hasn't had a chance to reply to me or there are so few that he daren't admit it for fear of no punters turning up.

Sean (Pendle) has confirmed he will be there with a table chock full of slot exotica for our delectation so that's a good enough reason for going. Just means we all may have to stand in front of his tables, drooling.

Hey, it's being held at a football club, if the worst comes to the worst, someone bring a ball and we'll have a kickabout!

See you all tomorrow! Or not!

Mr.M

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Well, it was definitely worth it for a few stall holders. I bought nine cars! Most were discounted Fly classics, but also got the Gulf Audi and the new Ferrari F1 form Carrera. Didn't buy the Gulf 917 Set (now £150 up from £120 last time at Milton Keynes) or the Warsteiner Chevron so "saved myself £130 quid. You can guess what that means I spent.

Too late for pics and stuff, but suffice to say it sits along side a contemporary Hornby car very nicely. Track, tyre size and other key dimensions appear to be consistent and only a slightly smaller head on the Ferrari compared to the Scalextric man marls out any scale variations.

In terms of appearance the Carrera seems fussier (not a bad thing, just more winglets, jaggy bits on the barge boards, etc.) with better looking tyres and front suspension arms seem more accurately shaped. Gave it a quick run and the rear mounted magnet (SCX-style on all new Carreras) is very low so bottoms out on classic Scalextric track. Take it off and the car compares well with the Scalextric F1 car with the bar magnet moved forward.

One other curiosity is the guide is mounted behind the front axle line whereas the Hornby (and Ninco, SCX for that matter) cars are mounted ahead. Effectively, therefore, a shorter guide to rear axle "wheelbase" meaning less stable/more agile handling. Again, no time to conduct even vaguely scientific experiments.

On the whole, the swap meet seemed a bit quiet although was a very good selection of old and new cars as well as some interesting built kits and modifieds. I went around a good few times and spent more than normal as a result.

Scott

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Yep! Definitely worth it!

From the trip up (thanks to Jexy1 and Ecurie Ecosse for the driving), including the very "REM video like" episode of being able to get out of the vehicle on a closed M11 and wander about cos somebody had tried to knock down the armco in their Jag XK8 drophead- nearly succeeded too- to trying out purchases on EE's track when we got back, it was a great day.

After that wasn't so good, not slot related, but I had to do a 400+ mile round trip to recover my stepson who had been visiting his girlfriend at uni and broke down on the M6.

Where were you,Sean? Your lads said sciving! Anyway, we relieved you of a scratch built Ford 3L, which went backwards on EE's circuit, and three "pre-owned" SCX Corollas, including one that looked like it had been "coloured in" with a green felt tip, as both Liphook and Farnham have new classes for these type of car just starting. What's the story behind them? Early indications are that I picked the fastest one
Oh, and Jexy collected his pre ordered Pink Kar GTO.

I also picked up a "Fira De Cornella 2001" Reprotec Abarth which I had never seen before from a Spanish guy and he insisted that I have an SCX TT desert style peaked cap thrown in which, apparently, I am to wear while racing.

It was a bit smaller than of old, but it's just great to share a day with so many people with a common interest. Ashford in three weeks, anyone?

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Sciving Me??
I don't think so. We have a sunday open day first sunday of the month and it was my turn, still i think it was slightly easier than the 14 hour day Nick & Tony had travelling to Bishop Stortford and back.
Nice to hear the Ford 3L went to a good home its one of Ted Martins conversions. (i doubt if you'll be able to make it sit any lower!)
Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts