SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

After the Dakar and the Dutch Trio Track, I have started with the Swedish Rally Track in mdf.
The table lenght is about 5.45m, with a greatest width of 2.27m. The smallest part is about 0.92m.
New on this track is the backdrop with smooth edges. This improves the track for making nice pictures.
The lay out will contain very fast bends in a shelving landscape, which are so typical for the Sweden Rally special stages.
Some Swedish houses and stables will also be built along side the track.
Trees will be made out of copper wire.
I hope you will enjoy the building process.

rallyhub

The Swedish Rally Track table. Underneath you can see the Dakar Track and the test track.

The Swedish Rally Track from a different angle. Watch the smooth edges on the back drop.

Drawing the 26m lenght of the smooth and fast track on the mdf.

·
Registered
290 Posts
looks good so far was thinking tho swedish dutch so which nation is it next???
but seriously will be great if anything like the last two i'll keep my eyes peeled for updates
well done so far

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Holy crap, rallyhub! .. You´ll soon be able to run the whole scedule of the WRC .. on your slot tracks. I sure envy your space, dedication and energy. But did you have to dismantle the Dakar track and how many rooms do you got for tracks, anyway?

For this one .. be sure to include some warning sign for mooses and .. a red painted horse!

Most inspirational and I´ll keep my eyes peeled on this one [two], you bet!

.. cheers ..

-- ron --

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ron,

I only have used the loft and the garage.
On the first picture you can see the removable Dakar Track (yellow) underneath the Swedish Rally Track.
In this way, I used the space twice.
On the second picture, you can see the Trio Track on the back against the wall, so I still can stall the car in the garage.

I hope these pictures will give people here on SlotForum some ideas and possibilities about optimal using space.

Hi jmswms,

Thank you for your compliments.
The updates of your track are still a great inspiration and big fun to watch.

rallyhub

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
I'm glad to see another project from you rallyhub. The fantastic quality of work you do combined with the pace at which you work is nothing short of prolific. I'll be watching you're progress with interst and enjoyment.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Brad,

Many thanks.
For 2 years already, I made 3 boxes of pines and a lot of deciduous trees for this track.
They are still waiting to get finished for the Swedish rally Track.
But first I built the Trio track.
Now it is their turn.

rallyhub

Some unfinished copper wire trees. Some trees have about 1000 wires.
It takes about 3 hours to make such a tree before it can be painted and finished with some scenic materials.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wow, your trees are works of art, stunning!
Congratulations rallyhub, I'm looking forward to seeing this track evolve.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice canvas you've created for what will be a great track. The table has a very interesting shape...I like that. I also like the backdrop...creates lots of possibilities as it has a much more "infinity" feel.

A thought on trees (something I plan to try), since you're fabricating them, you might be able to wrap some of the trunks in thin auto headliner foam and (since you have to do this step anyway) texture the trunks using squishy caulking. This way the trees can be safely placed along the track even in crash zones and still not harm the cars.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sounds lovely! And those trees are just stunning.
The backdrop also look really nice. Good thinking!

But... *oops* Sweden grows spruce, spruce and then some spruce. With the occasional pine. And maybe, just maybe, one birch.
Which is good for you! 'Cause a spruce is a lot easier to make.

~Erik

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everybody,

Many thanks for your comments.

Next job is the making of the elevations of the track.
I placed the mdf plates on the table, and have drawn the slot and the 2 tracksides on the plates.
On the tracksides, I wrote with a distance of about 0.5m, the level of the track on these particular points.
In this way , I shaped in my mind the 3th dimension (hight) of the track.
The next step is to saw the vertical studs with the hight I wrote on the trackside.

Ghost,

You are right, I have made spruce.

I had to look in the dictionary, because I only knew the word "pine" for leaved tree.
Before I started with the trees, I looked at pictures of the Swedish Rally, what kind of trees are on the roadside in your beautiful country.
So the name was wrong, but luckely I made the right type of trees, named spruce.
Many thanks for your comment.

rallyhub

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I got a modelrailway book describing two easy ways to make spruce.
One is based on circles of opening radii, cut somewhat into shape and then layered loosly on a stem.
The other one is based on using yarn and a wire-twisted stem.

I could try to get some scanned if you want to.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ghost,

The method of the circles on a stem remind me about the plastic spruces of Faller.
I used the wire-twisted stem method with sisal rope.
If it does not take you too much pain, I would like to see some pictures of the circle method.
Thanks a lot.

rallyhub

The wire twisted stem method as already used on the Scalextric rally track.

The spruces placed on the Scalextric rally track.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Good, you got the "twisters" already.
Yes, the "layered" ones would resemble the Faller ones. Basically the same method. Each layer is "coned" down and would end upp fairly close to the real thing.
I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A step-by-step master class for the deciduous trees you created from copper would be very helpful, interesting, creative (have I creeped enough yet?).
I appreciate you are busy with the track / layout, but the copper (Beech!) trees are something else.
Oh, go on rallyhub...please

1 - 20 of 393 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.