SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I hadn't bought much - but took five cars out the bag when I got home (see below for list).

A good day with friends and slot cars, especially getting to play on the wood/copper track and brass chassis/lexan cars brought along by the Four Lane Black Top Club. Well done for offering new swappie visitors something to play on, likewise Gareth for the NSCC rally track and SCX Digital and Adrian with the Scalextric digital set-up.

Roll on MK!

Fly Venturi 9roof tiles livery)
ProSlot Toyota GT-One (yellow)
MRRC Toyota Celica Gr5
Scalextric Renault F1 (new style)
Scalextric Tyrrell 001

So, come on - what did you get?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
1 bag of track(scalex sport)
1 fly lancia beta montecarlo
1 hornby subaru impreza kit to be fast and furious'd (already got a big back bumper and side skirts)

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I have to say, I don't but I will anyhoo, that the thing I noticed most about today's event was the number of kids present - lots of 'em and they brought their Dad's cheque books too.

[Open note to Hornby directors - whatever it is, it ain't enough. Quite how Adrian Norman stayed sane whilst demonstating your Digital product to the makeshift kindergarten for hours on end I will never understand. He earns his money and no mistake. Our stall was next to his and he displayed Dunkirk spirit throughout.]

Lots of nice stuff to see but you know what? I spent no more than the grand total of £12 - on single used (and now it is home and apart, slightly mouldy, Scaley 959). I was tempted by much and the money in my pocket cried out to be free but my will was firm.

Man, that Altaya BMW M1 in BASF colours looked pretty.

And the Four Lane Black Top chaps with their... what are they BSCA? BCRA? BRSF? well, their vac-formed thingies, impressed me no end; so smooth to run and so fast. Not my cup of char but I can understand the attraction more now.

Shame about my shameful performance on the NSCC rally track - I still maintain it was a dusty surface that early in the day and the braids looked suspect too. Come to think of it I fancy there was a short on the lanes and ....

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE grand total of £12 - on single used (and now it is home and apart, slightly mouldy, Scaley 959

I believe this may have been from me, mouldy? I think not it was it was a nice example at a very nice price

But seriously, a very good swapmeet, well attended and some guys from Spain (how d'you do that ?) well done that's have one in the summer

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Good meeting and it was very pleasent to meet Gareth and Phil.

I bought a Scaley Kenwood 962, which has now been stripped down,Chassis modified for TSRF Guide and refitted with Slot.it Gears , Axle and wheels. Lovely car and one I've been after for a long time.

I was going to get one of the new Fly 911's, but I took one look at the colour and decided against it...Ugh!......I'll wait for another livery to come out.

I wanted a 959 but they all seemed to be very expensive.

The digital stuff was interesting, but I would hate to have one, all rear end shunts and the track looks so "toy" like.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Ha, ha, Phil Smith! That was you I bought the 959 from was it?

No complaints! A nice runner and a bargain at £12 - even if the inside was furry!

Surprised you remember the sale, I seem to recall you were busy discussing Una Stubbs at the time!

An enjoyable way to pass a rainy Sunday.

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
My haul consisted of;

Fly 911
Fly Alfa GTV
Fly Gaugemaster set with BMW CSL and Ferrari Daytona
Latest MRRC Celica and Cobra

Ohhh......and one of the Xsaras Wankel broke on the rally track for helping Jexy pack it all away.

Some very cheap unbuilt Miticos cars were available and even a couple of the Planeto Directo sets, albeit at a considerable premium to what mine cost just before christmas!

Had a go on the Hornby digital in an impromptu 6 car race and actually enjoyed that more than the BRSCA thingies which I only tried under extreme duress. Not for me, I'm afraid. But well done to all those who supplied tracks for us to play on!

Good event and hope it will become a regular one!

Also had a good chat with Steve from Traffic Model Cars about his newest creations while helping to relieve the strain on his table's legs by purchasing some of the cars on it.

Apparently we can look forward to a lower priced range of 8-10 of his open topped sports cars with less detail parts, for those who want to race them, Minivan & Pickup, Hardtop versions of the Frogeye, Spitfire and MGA and a ubiquitous European vehicle (never before seen in 1/32 slot form) that celebrates it's 40th anniversary this year!

Mr.M

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice to meet Wankel Ickx and friends at Swindon. I battled on through with the Sport Digital demo but have to give a big Thanks to all those that helped (incl Wankel) and of course all the Mums and Dads who brought their sons and daughters along to see what all the fuss was about.
I was very pleased to see that there was great interest in Digital and I know the traders there had a flurry of sales after each family visit to the Sport Digital display.
Thanks to Jon and Robert for putting on a good show. It was nice to see four different working displays as well as the usual trade stands.
Looking forward to the next one.
All the best, to all.
Happy Racing,
Adrian

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE Surprised you remember the sale, I seem to recall you were busy discussing Una Stubbs at the time!

We were actually discussing Worzel Gummidge, one of the great TV shows

·
Slot City
331 Posts
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who came along, and I hope everyone had a good day.

The circuits went down very well. The Sport Digital circuit was very popular and in constant use. I'd support Wankels comments, how Adrian coped all day long running the circuit (the majority of the time on his own) without going mad is beyond me.

The Four Lane Black Top Club circuit also seemed popular (difficult for me to tell as I was at the other end of the hall), and hopefully they will get lots of new racers as a result. Their club is in Swindon, and I'll be working with them to promote the club more over the coming months.

The attendance was way beyong our best expectations, with over 400 paying customers. I think this shows that the right kind of event will still be a success, despite the views of some people that we have too many events now.

We will be running the event again next year (it will be the 8th January I think), though we might also run another different type of event during the summer.

I'd appreciate as much feedback on the event as possible. If there is anything we could of done better, anything you would like to see next year etc please post here.

Thanks,

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks to Robert and Jon for putting on the event! Lots of interest in the SRA figures and buildings. The Bentley in SRA colours was lurking in one of the garages - did you spot it? Many thanks to Gary (LMP04) for the paintwork and logos for the Bentley!

My elder son was delighted to win the NSCC rally competition - many thanks to Gareth for running the competition (and Adrian Norman for donating the prize car!).

Hope this event grows and grows!

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Ditto everyone who said good event!

Jon and Robert did a great job on Sunday and i think there was something there for everyone!

Can fully understand what Adrian went through on Digital, i left the SCX digital display to pretty much run it's self on the day while i looked after the kids (including Wankel) trying to destroy the SCX rally cars on the rally circuit.

Well done to Srapaul's son for winning the competition he set a good time early on and then beat it again at the end of the day!

Interest at the NSCC table was good, nice to see some old faces but also good to meet some fresh interest and new members.

See most of you at Milton Keynes?

Gareth

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 10 Jan 2005, 17:18)QUOTE Surprised you remember the sale, I seem to recall you were busy discussing Una Stubbs at the time!

We were actually discussing Worzel Gummidge, one of the great TV shows

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why didn't I get a mention? I was doing Wurzels voice. Great meeting, busy all day, Derek Cooper

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE (mtucker666 @ 10 Jan 2005, 20:38)Jon
400+ visitors - a big congrats that is excellent and a just reward for your efforts.
Well done and hope more events of this nature will now spring up.

Matt
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too hope we have more events like this.

There is a need for NSCC member only events, but there is also a need for lots more open events which are targetted at the high street customer.

Events need to be held in good locations (eg easy motorway access), good venues (leisure centres are ideal), have added attractions (eg circuits to race on) and be advertised locally.

We had coverage in the local newspapers and on local radio (all for free) and we also had flyers all over the town (leisure centres, tourist information etc). We have also had some follow up coverage in the local newspapers (half a page in the local daily and another article due in the local weekly), I'll post scans of these shortly.

Interestingly, we also had some people come in who were at the leisure centre for other reasons - when they saw the Scalextric show they came in. So a venue with lots of people there anyway (or passing) also helps.

The next Swindon Show is already booked for the 8th January next year.

I like the idea of holding a similar event in the summer somewhere else - preferably in a seaside resort. This will mean plenty of people in the area (looking for something to do), and will mean the dealers could make a weekend of it and have a break at the same time.

Maybe Blackpool? I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks,

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does Steve at Traffic model cars have a website or email address cos I need to be getting me one of those minivans or pick-ups..................ok probably a couple of each!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (daleg @ 14 Jan 2005, 12:17)Does Steve at Traffic model cars have a website or email address cos I need to be getting me one of those minivans or pick-ups..................ok probably a couple of each!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

www.traffic-modelcars.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had a great time and i wish i had been able to post about it earlier, My list comprised of:

SCX new Ford Focus
SCX Audi tt (new)
Fly BMW m3 Yab Yum (this thing is fast)
Ninco NC5 Peugeot 307 (this thing is even faster... without a magnet!)

I also stormed a fantastic victory on the Scalextric Sport Digital setup..... against a 7 year old

Doug

1 - 20 of 20 Posts